Contemplating getting an 09 Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Contemplating getting an 09 Compass

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
snakeeyes237
2010 JK Wrangler 

Contemplating getting an 09 Compass

I'm looking into getting a 2009 Rallye Compass for my wife, but I've been trolling the forum a bit and it seems the steering on these things have some problems. Are there aftermarket tie rod ends to replace the [apparently] crappy stock ones. Are there any other known problems with the Compass? I'm in the military and getting it fixed isn't as easy as going to the dealership, especially since the Chrysler dealership here doesn't know what a Compass is. Thanks

snakeeyes237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Keep in mind that most people will post problems, so the half dozen or so tie rod end problems are very few compared to the number of members who post. I'm watching for the Moog units to be released, probably pretty soon. I'd say it is insignificant except it never is when you're the one with the problem. Most commonly the faults have been with vendor supplied parts that hopefully have been corrected once the '09's were put into production. Still nothing consistant that would make the "hit list". Maybe one of the bigger problems were on the '07 to mid '08 5 speeds where there was a TSB out for the Syncros. The other area that may be of concern are the 18" Firestone Firehawks that can be pretty noisy and only seem to last less than 30K miles.

I'm heading towards 39K on mine and I consider it far less problematic that other things I've driven.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
snakeeyes237
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sweet. I'm just glad I got her to want a Jeep instead of a toyota.
snakeeyes237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Gramps when you find out the Moogs are out let me know - a lil preventative maintenance never hurt

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

I have a 2007 and have been quite pleased overall. I had a couple of software updates since mine was an early version, but all of the 2008's up would have those already.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
Autocar
2011 KJ Liberty 

Had an 08 Compass Sport 4x4 - 5 speed manual, bought it in June & 3 weeks later, I knew I made a mistake. It rode & handled horribly, wanted to change lanes aat highway speeds if you encountered a bump in the road. Changed tires at that point, bought Michelin Hydro - Edges which helped somewhat but not enough to make me want to keep it, so 3 months later I traded it in for the Patriot Sport & I love very much. It`s a different vehicle.
Autocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeyes237 View Post
I'm looking into getting a 2009 Rallye Compass for my wife, but I've been trolling the forum a bit and it seems the steering on these things have some problems. Are there aftermarket tie rod ends to replace the [apparently] crappy stock ones. Are there any other known problems with the Compass? I'm in the military and getting it fixed isn't as easy as going to the dealership, especially since the Chrysler dealership here doesn't know what a Compass is. Thanks
From what I understand, it wasn't tie rod ends. It was the amount of torque they used to tighten them. It wasn't enough and they loosen off. Thats were the wear happened on them. They were loose! I have almost 20,000kms on mine and theres no problem with the tie rod ends or the manual transmission for that matter.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.