Considering a Patriot! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Considering a Patriot!

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 05-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Considering a Patriot!

Hey all, I'm considering trading in my built up 2002 Liberty for a 2011 Patriot as the Liberty at best returns 12-13 MPG during my 25 mile one-way commute to work (all highway driving) . I'm curious about your inputs. Ill be keeping my built 88 Yj so I'm on the fence about getting the FWD, FDI or FDII.

Also I'd like to hear some real world MPG numbers, city, highway and mixed!!

Thanks

KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

i can help you in more ways than you probably thought lol

i have a 2011 compass, which is the same as a patriot. i consistantly get 25-26 on the highway with mine. it has the 2.4, 4WD and the CVT2 with FD-I.

as far as helping you further, i happen to sell these new, and i am very close to you. if you would like my assistance, please feel free to contact me. i would love to help you out!
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
BobKnake
Betty Blue "97"

1997 TJ Wrangler 

just bought a 2011 Sport 4x4 with 5 spd, AC & 17" wheels almost 2 weeks ago...
w/ 500 miles, I got 25 mpg. That was combined mileage. I am happy, but wonder if it will improve when I put more miles on it and I get used to it more and find the comfortable shift points...

manual are only FDI, but it's not an OFF-ROAD vehicle for me...
I read on the patriot forum that FDII is pretty hard on mpg, but as I mentioned that wasn't even an option for me... I prefer to row the gears.

I'm certain I could have "lived" with FWD, but I felt if it was a JEEP it need to be 4x4.

Not sure how familiar you are with the Patriot drive train set up:
FDI is actually a part time AWD set up. Full time FWD, detects slippage the rear, wheels engage.
What allows JEEP to call it 4x4, the rears can be engage at will, by means of a switch on center console.
Also FDI does not have 2 spd transfer case (LOWER GEAR).

FDII I believe is similar, but has a low gear. As well as hill descent and a couple other things (didn't do much research into them)
Unread 05-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Hi and congrats. Complete info on the drive systems is HERE. Technically it's an ON DEMAND AWD.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

OP- I have a '08 5spd sport 4x4 and i average about 26 mpg for the tank, i do mostly highway driving, and i do have a lead foot 75mph and thats just going with the flow up here (m*******s and all!) But i'd suggest a FD1 since there is no difference really in MPG between the fwd and fd1 444 unless your in snow, and its neglegable difference anyways. Since you have the YJ you dont really need the FD2 in my opinion. Thats just my 2 cents! Best of luck!

Bob(kane)- WOW she looks great. I really like the 6" or so of black along the bottom, a big improvement in look! is it textured? like rino liner or is it plastic or something. I need to go check the new ones out! Even though mine is black i thought about Rino lining the bottom few inches and butting on door bumper guards for some protection from shopping carts and what not ... but again Very nice congrats!!!!!
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
BobKnake
Betty Blue "97"

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks... I really like the way it looks. Go to school with a girl that drives on 08. she loves hers...
that's kind of what sparked my attention to the Patriot.

When I saw the red, I was hooked

the door bottoms are plastic (hope they hold up)
Unread 05-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks all for the input sooo far!! Still weighing my options! Keep those MPG numbers coming please!!
Unread 05-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKnake View Post
the door bottoms are plastic (hope they hold up)
They're entirely plastic?
They will not rust out in the WI salt brine. If they are durable I think they will be good. As long as the brine doesn't have places to get trapped.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
srtdodge05
2011 MK Patriot 

I've had my FWD Patriot for a few months now and love it. driving hard in the city i get 23mpg or drive little easy i get 25mpg. There is a few small things i wish it had but overall i am very happy.
srtdodge05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

IRSmart: I got your PM!

Srtdodge05: 23-25 city with a hard right foot, awesome!! Hows your highway been!!??
Unread 05-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

KLT88YJ: just cleared out my inbox. this 10 pm thing is stupid, and im not paying money to increase it, that's even dumber
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ha! I hear ya!!!! Are there any specific querks with the Patriot's? Major recalls? My Liberty when new was recalled for the upper ball joints (which I already replacement with Jeepin by Al arms), then the lowers..! Its a Jeep sooo...any electrical issues that have been reported?
Unread 05-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
srtdodge05
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLT88YJ View Post
IRSmart: I got your PM!

Srtdodge05: 23-25 city with a hard right foot, awesome!! Hows your highway been!!??
Highway is pretty much the same as the city. Its rated at 28 highway but i never seen it. 26.4 was the best i got doing 65mph. Ive little bigger tires then stock.
Unread 05-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
srtdodge05
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLT88YJ View Post
Ha! I hear ya!!!! Are there any specific querks with the Patriot's? Major recalls? My Liberty when new was recalled for the upper ball joints (which I already replacement with Jeepin by Al arms), then the lowers..! Its a Jeep sooo...any electrical issues that have been reported?
Only issue i have with my patriot is my weather stripping keeps falling off on both doors on the passenger side. First set i ordered took over a month to get. Other then that i haven't had one problem.
Unread 05-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Srtdodge05: thanks for both replies!! When you say Your weather/ door molding's keep falling, I know that there's usually a tapered inside and or they use a glue/ putty to hold them on! Hopefully the dealer/ Jeep will take care of ya!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.