Considering a new Compass? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Considering a new Compass?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #16
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

i'll ask you the same thing i ask all my compass/patriot customers who say they want the FD-II: why? what are you going to be using the car for the most?

IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

Why i got fd2 is bc i take my compass to the mountains on some pretty bad roads/trails and live in northeast where we get snow. Skid plates are a plus as well as tow hooks, and the low range gearing.
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #18
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I was in a taxi the other day and thats what the driver used. His phone with a dash mount and car charger
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I got the fd2 for the extra ground clearance. I drive in snow alot. And the 140 amp alternator knowing I would put a real stereo in some day.
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Yeah. I was considering a new Compass. See the thread about the 5-speed transmission. I drive upwards of 40,000mi. per year. I live in PA in snow region. I drive on some rough roads. I hunt so I go the game lands.

I do not own and will not buy a 4WD vehicle. I must say it a waste of money. Good winter tire will out perform and normal tires and a 4WD system.

I look at my driving habits. I'm losing about 2MPG to have the 4WD system. Was losing about 3 more for the CVT. My window sticker is 27 and 30 MPG. I can average better than sticker says. Driving the miles I do I have figured costs. It about 2 grand to buy the 4WD system. It costs me about an extra thousand in gas just to haul it around every year. I have never had any issues getting to where I needed. EVER in a front wheel drive vehicle.
Snow are not really an issue. I can oly use one set at once. So the normal tires appear to last longer. Sooner or later you will need new tires anyways. Look at it as buying them in advance having two sets. The only extra cost I have had was buying a used set of factory wheels for the snow tires.
Fuel mileage means alot to me and my setup is saving me thousands to buy and operate each year. So if weather is that bad and I can't get work a day, so be it.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #21
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

You also don't have big mountains to go up there either. The steeper it gets the more useful 4wd is. Oh and also, some states and mountain passes require you have 4wd or Awd to pass in certain weather conditions, less you stop and put chains on your front wheel drive vehicle. 4wd is worth every penny to not have to do that if you drive in aforementioned mountain passes alot.

One more thing, studded snow tires are not legal everywhere. I used a front wheel drive vehicle with studs for years before moving to California. I'll have 4wd as long as I'm here though.
Unread 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

To the OP.. If you're in love with the Grand's looks and features, you might not be aware that the 2014 Liberty replacement will feature that style and a certain level of creature comforts/ soft touch areas.

Though, the Compass will continue to be the cheapest by at least a few thousand, I figured I'd let you know in case you were unaware.

Check out the 2014 Liberty Replacement Revealed link in the Future Models & Prototype Discussion Forum for more info.
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.