Considering a Compass - PLEASE HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Considering a Compass - PLEASE HELP!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
PirateSHU1

Considering a Compass - PLEASE HELP!

Hi all, new forum member here!

I currently own a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee but because of the engine light issues combined with the number miles I have on it, while I hate to give it up, I think it is time for a new one. Thing is the new Grand Cherokees are out of my budget right now and the gas mileage I saw for them (12 mpg city - YIKES! ) is horrible at best.

So that brings me to my question...used ~2007 or 2008 Grand Cherokee or new 2011 Compass? I have always had Grand Cherokees (4 total) and love my Jeeps. How does the Compass compare? I know it is smaller but the gas mileage (and price!) are better. Is it comfortable and roomy enough? Can three kids (two teens and one almost teen) live comfortably in the back seat for a 12 hour road trip?

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

PirateSHU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My wife has an '06 GC with the 5.7 and gets 17/18 on the back roads. Many twists, turns, a couple of stop signs and some nice 45 and 55 mph straight stretches. Plenty of hip room for 3 but I don't like the foot/leg room. We've never taken it on a road trip.

My Compass is what we take on the long trips and I get get in the mid to high 20's mpg, 24 around town right now. Plenty of leg/foot room but the most I've had sit in the back is two BIG teens or two little old ladies and a growing 11 year old.

You should certainly try a test fit for three teens in both.

The Compass doesn't have nearly the power of the GC but that's why the better mpg.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

the new hemi is 13 and 19 for 4wd. what did you expect for a V8 mid sized SUV? what year do you have? the gas mileage for the V8 grand cherokee hasn't really changed, so i can't imagine as a current grand cherokee owner you would be shocked by that. the new 3.6 is getting 16 and 22 and has just shy of 300 hp. if that sways your decision at all.

however, i love my new compass. would i put 5 people in it for 12 hours? possibly, if they're small enough. 5 adults? no. but yes, it is very roomy inside (i tell my customers that it is deceptively small on the outside) and it satisfies all my needs. plus, 26 mpg is definitely better.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
PirateSHU1

For my road trips it is all girls! One little old lady in the front seat, me in the driver seat and the girls in the back. I know the fit comfortably in my Grand Cherokee as we have done this trip many times. The oldest and youngest are slim, the middle girl is average. The oldest one is a pack rat though who likes to sit with all of her luggage...much to the dismay of the other two!

I was honestly thinking of taking all of them to try out the new Jeeps with me.

My current Jeep (2005 Grand Cherokee) gets about 16/17 mpg city and on the road trips I probably get about 21/22 so that doesn't bother me. When I was checking what the cost is for a 2011 GC I saw 12 mpg city and thought UGH!. 16/17 would be fine, that I'm used to. I think the 2007 and 2008's get similar gas mileage to what I get now which would be fine as well.
Unread 04-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

i'm not sure where you saw 12 mpg, but it was wrong.
Unread 04-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
PirateSHU1

Here is the link...http://www.automotive.com/2011/12/je...ages=2&Vehicle[1].Make=Jeep|38&Vehicle[1].Model=Grand%20Cherokee|710&Vehicle[1].Year=2008&Vehicle[1].Trim=Laredo;_SU;4WD;V6|547;36;2;14

A little scary seeing a 12! Either way though, a new GC is just not in the fun-time budget at this time unfortunately.

Everyone here has been a great help though. In the past day or two I have really learned a lot! I really appreciate all of the info.
Unread 04-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

link doesn't work.

no problem. i think that the compass/patriot is the way to go for you, but only you will know for sure until you go look at them! i sell them new, so if there is anything I can help you with, please let me know!
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I did get it to work but the info is incorrect for mpg.
gc_compass.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

yikes! yeah, that is WAAAY off, especially for the 3.6L. the new V6 is getting up to 22 on the highway with 4x4. i have NO idea where those numbers came from.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.