Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Considering a Compass

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Gramps 
#1 ·
Hi all,

We are considering replacing my wifes 98 CRV with a new Compass. Went and test drove the CVT and 5spd today and noticed (she is short), in the 5spd she has to pull the seat up so close to push the clutch that her knees are right under the steering column with less than an inch between. Is there any way to overcome this? She prefers a manual in a smaller engine vehicle.

#2 ·
Did you adjust the seat height? That might help, there really is no overcoming the long dash and deep footwells besides that Id think. Thats assuming the dash and such is similar.

#3 ·
I think she did adjust the seat height but she didn't take a lot of time to check if it was better higher or lower... can't really put pedal extenders on the clutch either can ya? I didn't drive it, but it seemed like it engages pretty close to the floor.

Another question I have is on maintenance. A lot of newer vehicles are put together so that they are tough to do maintenance. A friend of mine has a Mitsubishi SUV and it runs about $500 to change the spark plugs because they are not easily accessible... are there any issues like this on the Compass? Are the components easy to get to?

#4 ·
Seats:
The seat height adjuster on the Sport "E" and Limited is about a 12 click adjuster and moves the seat up/down about 2". Did you get full travel or maybe were in the "D" package that doesn't have that feature?

Maintenance:
Changing the oil and filter - I've never had one so easy except a remote that I mounted on the firewall. Radiator hoses aren't too bad if you pull the battery. Engine cover comes off just by pulling up then you can get to the coils and spark plugs @ about 60K (I think). The serpentine belt's probably the hardest thing to get at but doable, not as tight as the Calibers engine compartment. Air filter's not bad either.

For a guy with big hands like me, I think that I could handle it all.

#5 ·
Thanks for the maintenance information.

I'll have her check it out again and take more time with the seat adjustment. Both we test drove today were E packages. We are about to move out of state (2 days), and I was hoping to get one here before then, the general manager is the father of our neighbor across the street :D and is where I got my TJ from as well.

#6 ·
My wife is 5'6", not really short, but she like the seat all of the way up so that she can pretend she's driving her GC. I'm only 5'10" and I like it all of the way down, I have this thing about headroom.

#7 ·
Gramps said:
My wife is 5'6", not really short, but she like the seat all of the way up so that she can pretend she's driving her GC. I'm only 5'10" and I like it all of the way down, I have this thing about headroom.
We think alike I see! Mine has more to do with my fright wig hair rubbing the roof. Oil filter changing is easy (if you turn it the right way) it seems opposite to my Wrangler's to me for some odd reason and I just about twisted the oil filter in half this last time on my Caliber while trying to take it off (turned it the wrong way it would seem. Did it a week ago sunday) The thing was all creased up and bent by the time I got it off! :eek: Learned my lesson I think. Not sure on spark plugs and such, never owned a car that didn't have spark plug wires or anything, this thing is coil on plug or somesuch I think. Hope they dont seize like my Wrangler ones did! If my serpentine belt or timing chain or anything of that persuasion breaks, I'm out, I'll just take it to the dealer, its not worth it on a transversely mounted engine to piddle with I think. I'll take pics of my engine bay tomorrow (and through a roundabout method, dar n you iPhone!) post them up.

#8 ·
Just remember it the same way that engineers do, righty-tighty, lefty-loosy :laugh:

The serpentine on the Caliber is going to be a pain. The one on the mother-in-laws Grand Am is too and I made some tools to change it. The Compass/Patriots have a little bit more room but I still may have to fab something to get in there. It's better but no cake walk either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.