Compass: What Speakers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass: What Speakers?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
EnsoniqMan
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Compass: What Speakers?

Hey All -

My 2008 Compass (Sport Package) has just the basic stereo with 4 speakers.

Anyone know the maker of these speakers? I know they are NOT Boston Acoustics.

I thought that I saw somewhere on the net they were Infinity. I know my buddy's 1996 Dodge truck was using Infinity as facotry sound....

EM

Unread 04-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

It wouldn't matter if a name brand company made them or not. They would be junk either way. I replaced my Bostons with real Bostons. The factory Bostons were cheap dual cone paper speakers with wimpy motors.

But to answer your question...???
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

They are very easy to remove though if you want to look at the back of one to see. I have a thread about replacing the rear 6x9 on here somewhere.
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
EnsoniqMan
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I found they were easy to remove, no doubt. Just didn't see a brand name on them. All they say is 15w, Chrysler, Made in Mexico. And yes, they are the cheap paper cone ones.

Just bought new MB Quart FTB169 speakers, on Amazon for $38 bucks with free shipping. They have a frequency response of 40-32k...much wider than any other I found. I heard these last year & they sound AWESOME. I compared them to Polk and Boston 6x9's....and these were by far better.

I also found Rockford Fosgates on Amazon for $43 bucks....which I almost bought...but saw these at the last minute. Plus, they were cheaper here than on Ebay.

More to come when I install them tomorrow.

EM
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnsoniqMan View Post
I found they were easy to remove, no doubt. Just didn't see a brand name on them. All they say is 15w, Chrysler, Made in Mexico. And yes, they are the cheap paper cone ones.

Just bought new MB Quart FTB169 speakers, on Amazon for $38 bucks with free shipping. They have a frequency response of 40-32k...much wider than any other I found. I heard these last year & they sound AWESOME. I compared them to Polk and Boston 6x9's....and these were by far better.

I also found Rockford Fosgates on Amazon for $43 bucks....which I almost bought...but saw these at the last minute. Plus, they were cheaper here than on Ebay.

More to come when I install them tomorrow.

EM
FWIW, the human ear can't hear past 20k so it being able to handle upwards of that means nothing to you (unless you want your dog jamming out as well )

And don't expect them to hit the low notes well, especially if you don't amp them. I have a set of Polks that are rated for 40 hz but I crossed them over at 60 just because I don't really want them hitting that low, even if they are rated for it. That's a helluva deal on those speakers though!
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
EnsoniqMan
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, I realize that. Thanks for the instruction. (I guess me working at Circuit City for 5 years makes me like any other fool & not knowing anything about audio). All I stated was that they sounded better; but that is only my opinion.

My other jeep has the cross-over and the amps, with JBL seperates. I don't plan on getting that fancy with this Compass.....FWIW.
Unread 05-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Geeze get all fired up why dont you. I wouldnt brag about your Circuit City experience too loudly, it's not that impressive. As far as sound, different strokes for different folks. Changing a speaker alone will never make astronomical differences in sound anyway. It takes a whole system upgrade to make it worth a darn.
Unread 05-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
EnsoniqMan
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Uhh...well, the 'experience' was 20 years ago while working through college, plus the 2-day audio engeineering seminar class they required us to take. But whatever. Guess I am bragging. You have all the facts.
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My wife and I have certified hearing loss, she doesn't hear me and I don't hear her. All kidding aside we have both lost some of our mid range but different levels. Speaker sound can be very subjective no matter what the specs are, but they at least give you a base line.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Ensoniq its the sudden attitude that makes it hard to take you seriously. Over the interwebs, it comes across you are bragging. Anyway last time I talked to an audio expert at Best Buy (that big retailer that put Circuit City out of commission) he didn't know his *** from a hole in the ground. But I did get offered a really good deal on DirecTV while there.
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

Hmmm... What I find most interesting is my 5 year old Compass has the original "Boston" 458 watt system option. I find it to be a damn good system that sitting in my driveway can still rattle the front windows of my house. I can hear it a block away as my wife approaches home

BTW: Gramps, I finally got the problem figured out that I described in a post earlier this year. All the driving difficulties and alternating warning lights issues was FINALLY diagnosed by a shop as a bad LR wheel speed sensor. All the affected warning lights (TC, ESP, antilock, 4x4!) finally came on & stayed on after starting, instead of coming & going at VERY random intervals. $400.00 later (about 2 months ago) Fortuneer was running better but not perfect. Recently the lights started up again along with the TC & Antilocks doing their strange antics. Now the RR sensor is failing and the parts are on back order! Sorry to hi-jack this post. I shall slink away now, he he he

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
fortuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the feedback, even if it's in the wrong thread. When I find some time I'll try to find the right one and move part of your post. Intermittent electrical problems are always frustrating.

My BA system still suits me fine too. The back window still vibrates when I have it cranked up and the wife and neighbors can tell when I'm driving down the road headed home. It's not 'perfect' but then neither is my hearing and nether are the acoustics inside any 'car' where you will also have road noise.

Unread 05-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Its enough to rattle the car slightly...but not accurately. Ive never dug into the sub enclosure yet, but it sounds to me like the plastic interior panel IS the enclosure. The whole thing sounds fluttery to me and needs a better crossover at about 80 hz. Also i wish the front door speakers were full range because the dash 2 1/2" over power them.
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here's some pics of the sub enclosure. Just pull off the side panel and there it is held on by 3 screws.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/b...estion-432143/

Unread 05-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

It does look plastic. Is it? (looking on phone)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.