Compass vs. Stag - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass vs. Stag

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 10-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Compass vs. Stag

Just figured I'd share something that happened to me recently.

I was driving along a three-lane highway at noon in the center lane. I had passed through all of the nature in my area and was pretty much in the city limits. It's me and a large truck on my left, leading a traffic pack. We're cruising along, when I see a stag jumping the divider from the other side of the highway.

In a way, it was a terribly beautiful sight, seeing that deer with those magnificent antlers coming down onto the road like that.

Of course, it took me by surprise. Those of you who live in deer-ridden areas probably know that noon is as far from "peak deer activity time" as you can get. I usually watch the sides of the road that border forest or grassland; I wouldn't expect a deer to make it across three lanes before reaching me!

The truck begins to slow down, and I'm pressuring the brakes. The deer goes straight into my lane and begins to hesitate, then begins to run. It almost seemed like we wouldn't hit, and if it weren't for that truck then I could have dodged it, but I felt a light tap and figured that I must have made contact with its rump or leg. Didn't seem like a big deal - probably just a dent, I figure, but I pulled over anyway to make sure that nothing major had happened.

It was actually pretty shocking just how much damage had been done.

I couldn't open the passenger-side door, and the bumper and engine compartment guard were dangerously close to my tire, but everything was perfectly drivable. Despite being bashed in, the headlight still worked, as did the turn signal.

It seems the Compass took a bite out of the deer, too:

Looks like some deer fur caught on the hood.

From what I could see of the stag in my rear-view mirror, it had made it to the shoulder and then collapsed, but was struggling to get back up. I didn't see a body on my drive the next day, so I'm hopeful that it lived on and will hopefully have learned its lesson about roads and Jeeps.

I dropped the Jeep off today and swapped it for a Chevy Captiva rental. Everything is covered by insurance so it's no major stress, but the Captiva feels a bit stiff compared to the Compass. It supposedly gets the same mileage, but it has an "eco" button to activate fuel efficiency. I miss the Compass' CVT. The repairs should take about a week.

Lesson learned: during this time (mating season for deer in the Northeast), watch for deer on the road at all times.

WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedScapula
I miss the Compass' CVT.

Does not compute???
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

Believe it or not, some of us like even the CVT compared to GMC garbage.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

My best car ever was a Pontiac :-/
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

"Different strokes for different folks" and all, but I like the CVT. I've heard the complaints about it and they're valid, but for my driving style it's great. I'm usually pretty light on the accelerator when starting from a stop, and at higher speeds (below 70 MPH) I find the CVT to be pretty responsive if I push the accelerator harder. My Compass has the "autostick" so I could downshift for a bit more power, but I've never had to. It's all smooth and responsive. By comparison, with my old cars I'd find myself fighting with the automatic shifting, either having to wait for it to downshift when climbing hills, or having to push the accelerator way harder than I wanted to. And of course, compared to the CVT, all of that shifting could be a bit jerky. It felt normal at the time, but I don't like going back to it now.

This "eco" button business is like making a manual CVT. With the "eco" button on, the vehicle doesn't handle so differently from the Compass... the difference is that I have to disable "eco" mode if I want that same responsiveness, otherwise it's fairly anemic throughout. Worse yet, Chevrolet positioned that button such that it's really awkward to find it and press it while you're in motion. People who push the accelerator harder might feel differently, I suppose, but I answer to my wallet first, and I'm still getting close to 28 MPG out of my Compass
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.