Compass VS Rav4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass VS Rav4

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Compass VS Rav4

My wife will be getting a new vehicle in the next 4 months, and these are our two choices. I know most of you probably don't know much about the rav so what can you tell me about the compass, and how it compares to other vehicles. While they maybe two diffrent classes of vehicles, the dimisions are very close to the same excecpt the the compass has a less cargo space. Im just trying to make the best decision for us. It will be a family car, and her commuter car. I want something that rides GOOD and gets decent gas milage.

My Jeep
MoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:14 PM   #2
mdsaif

I dont want to be Bias towards the compass.....but basically......when u compare prices....the compass gives u a lot more option for less
mdsaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 04:52 AM   #3
Kev M
2012 WK 

CRAP I HATE WHEN I TYPE A LONG POST AND IT GETS DELETED!!!!

Ok - second try

We extensively cross-shopped the RAV4, Compass and Baja back in October. I was seriously leaning towards the RAV4 on size and reliability vs. build quality and predicted long-term reliability (and I should say that I normally HATE Toyota for being the Japanese Oldsmobile with regards to excitement).

In the end though I put a lot on what equipment I get for the money and the Yoda was horribly expensive and not as well equipped when compared to the Compass. I did everything I could but the Yoda was still going to be at least $8k more than a similarly or even better equipped Compass.

And to make matters worse the Yoda dealer out and out lied to us. He wrote down a BS high number as “MSRP” then scratched it out and “offered” us a discounted price which was actually EQUAL to MSRP.

Plus Yoda is extremely rigid about build packages. They have the Base, Sport and Limited. Well the base is so pathetically equipped that you can’t get a sunroof (and I THINK it doesn’t even come with fog lights if I remember correctly). The Sport isn’t too badly equipped but you can’t get a third row of seats. The Limited was well equipped (as expected) but you CAN’T get both Leather AND a third row of seats (though we probably could have had them add heated leather to one that had a third row, but we’d already be into the low 30s on MSRP).

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m quite impressed with the RAV’s 21/28 mpg rating when coupled with a 3500 lbs. towing capacity. But $8k buys a lot of gas, and my boat rig only weighs about 1500 lbs. so though I’d LIKE the cushion, I didn’t NEED it.

I was also less than impressed with the interior of the RAV4 from an ergonomic point of view. It felt way too much like a mini-van. The Compass interior may consist of some frugal materials, but they are rugged and functional.

I also like the fact that the Compass has both a liftgate AND can have a full-size spare mounted under the cargo floor. The RAV4 hangs it’s big ugly spare in the way on the rear door, and the door is side-hinged which means you need extra room to open/close it (plus backing up a trailer without help is nearly impossible, but wouldn’t be an issue with a Compass and an open liftgate.

The Toyota looked and felt like it had a tremendous build quality, but the value for the dollar just wasn’t there. And I wasn’t even going to dream of giving business to such an arrogant dealer. In the end, I went for a combination of toys, price/value and capability and wound up with a Baja. But the Compass was a VERY strong contender and I still kind of wonder if I shouldn’t have bought one. I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed if my wife decided to buy one at some point.

Good luck with your decision,

Kev
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Kev for that informative answer! What did you end up getting? I like the compass, but I think my wife is leaning more towards the rav4 because of the more room, and the third row seating.
My Jeep
Unread 11-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
Kev M
2012 WK 

LOL,

I wound up getting a Subaru Baja.

We don't "NEED" the third row right now (though I was trying to think ahead when we were considering the RAV).

and I wanted something a little more versatile and unique than the Compass, that had a slightly higher tow raiting (for more cushion between the capacity and our small runabout boat). Plus, at the end of the day, my last Jeep had a few too many niggling little problems and my last Subaru was ROCK SOLID up past 160k miles.

But absolutely loaded we're talking about a big swing in prices.

Compass - $22k
Baja - $24k
RAV4 - $28k (MAYBE that cheap if we played TOTAL hard ball at a couple of dealers)

give or take.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well majority(the wife) ruled..She wants the Rav for the cargo space. And you can't beat the relibilty and resale value of a toyota. The one we are looking for is gonna book around 26k.
Unread 11-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
snikr

Price is what SOLD me on the Compass. Plus the dealer gave us a good deal on it as well. Subie was TOO HIGH of a price as well as the Toy's (and the Toy dealer is a PITA to dealer with). I'm not disappointed in the Compass.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.