Compass vs. Patriot - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass vs. Patriot

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-28-2007, 07:18 AM   #91
phil8400

Is the Compass taller than the Patriot? I can't seem to find the exterior dimensions.
I was at the dealer yesterday and maybe it's just me, but the Patriot (Limited) looks less high than my Compass Sport.

phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 09:11 AM   #92
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
Is the Compass taller than the Patriot? I can't seem to find the exterior dimensions.
I was at the dealer yesterday and maybe it's just me, but the Patriot (Limited) looks less high than my Compass Sport.
According to this the Patriot is 0.2" taller but, this info doesn't say if these dimensions are for FWD or FD I, I'll presume not the FD II because it wasn't released yet.

Patriot 64.4
http://www.jeep.com/en/07patriot/fea...ifications.pdf

Compass 64.2
http://www.jeep.com/07compass/featur...ifications.pdf

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #93
BuzzDog

BTW, checked out the latest issue of "Automobile" magazine at the dentist's office today, and they seem to LOVE the Patriot.

Seems silly how the same rag tore apart the Compass...I mean, they're SOOOOO different, right? NOT!
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #94
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

yeah, it kinda funny, car and driver seems to like the patriot (not the compass) too: last time i looked, arent the compass and patriot pretty much the same vehicle(ie matrix/vibe, taurus/sable) etc
echocat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 07:10 PM   #95
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by echocat22
yeah, it kinda funny, car and driver seems to like the patriot (not the compass) too: last time i looked, arent the compass and patriot pretty much the same vehicle(ie matrix/vibe, taurus/sable) etc
Same-o-same-o, except for the sheet metal they're both on the same MK Jeep platform which is a modified PM Dodge platform. 'bout the same differance as a 'Cuda and a Challenger. Ain't it wierd how just the perception of the Patriot looking more like the classic Jeep makes it drive better etc. Just a bunch of hipcrites if you ask me.

Unread 03-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #96
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

Just a bunch of hipcrites if you ask me.
Unread 03-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #97
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

if any of you have seen the commercials for the patriot, im sure u noticed that everywhere they were driving/camping, we could surly take the compass. as far as reviews go. i am sure we all could have forseen the pro critics drooling for the patriot even tho its like what 97% same as the compass.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #98
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07compasssport
if any of you have seen the commercials for the patriot, im sure u noticed that everywhere they were driving/camping, we could surly take the compass. as far as reviews go. i am sure we all could have forseen the pro critics drooling for the patriot even tho its like what 97% same as the compass.

echocat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 08:32 PM   #99
JOJOJEEP
2009 KK Liberty 

I was at the dealer today, picking up hubby's truck after service, and they had a Patriot sitting out front. I haven't taken the time to read all the postings in this thread so forgive me if I restate what's already been said.
I'm glad I bought the Compass. Of course I like the Patriot, it's the same thing pretty much as my Compass, except it's boxier. Same engine, same interior (exactly). I didn't drive it. It looks heavier, maybe because of the boxiness. I imagine if it is heavier it would be kind of doggy. How much can a four cylinder carry? I can see why the "traditional" jeep buyer would consider the Patriot over the Compass, it reminded me of my mom's old Cherokee. I don't understand why the minor differences, like 0.5" more clearance than the Compass (if that's right) make it "trail rated". But like I've said before, most trail rated Jeeps have never seen a trail anyway. My old Matrix probably saw more trails, and that was a lot lower than both. I don't see the basis of the positive press for the Patriot, or should I say the negative of the Compass, but whatever. If you see something you want to drive and you are capable of buying, do it. When I bought my first car back in 92, I wouldn't buy a first year car, it was Saturn back then. Now a days I think they're all the same anyway. No such thing as first year, just another vehicle changed up a bit. The Patriot looks more traditional Jeep, but it's a Compass, maybe a bit more room (and weight).
What's the weight difference anyway? I know the Compass weighs maybe 600 more lbs than my Matrix did, but the Matrix had a 1.8 rather than a 2.4. What about the Liberty, whats that weigh? And that has a 4.2L?
JOJOJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #100
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOJEEP
I was at the dealer today, picking up hubby's truck after service, and they had a Patriot sitting out front. I haven't taken the time to read all the postings in this thread so forgive me if I restate what's already been said.
I'm glad I bought the Compass. Of course I like the Patriot, it's the same thing pretty much as my Compass, except it's boxier. Same engine, same interior (exactly). I didn't drive it. It looks heavier, maybe because of the boxiness. I imagine if it is heavier it would be kind of doggy. How much can a four cylinder carry? I can see why the "traditional" jeep buyer would consider the Patriot over the Compass, it reminded me of my mom's old Cherokee. I don't understand why the minor differences, like 0.5" more clearance than the Compass (if that's right) make it "trail rated". But like I've said before, most trail rated Jeeps have never seen a trail anyway. My old Matrix probably saw more trails, and that was a lot lower than both. I don't see the basis of the positive press for the Patriot, or should I say the negative of the Compass, but whatever. If you see something you want to drive and you are capable of buying, do it. When I bought my first car back in 92, I wouldn't buy a first year car, it was Saturn back then. Now a days I think they're all the same anyway. No such thing as first year, just another vehicle changed up a bit. The Patriot looks more traditional Jeep, but it's a Compass, maybe a bit more room (and weight).
What's the weight difference anyway? I know the Compass weighs maybe 600 more lbs than my Matrix did, but the Matrix had a 1.8 rather than a 2.4. What about the Liberty, whats that weigh? And that has a 4.2L?
In trying to comparing apples to apples there seems to be only a 13 Lbs difference between the Compass and Patriot. Not much consistent info on the Patriot yet. The Compass hits the scales between 3089 - 3351 depending on configuration so they are in the same general weight category. So far the Patriot has been perceived as being lower and heavier but it's neither.

The FD I package in either gives you the same GC of 8.5 inches, The FD II package (Trail Rated) gives you 9” threw programming changes that improves the articulation, a change in shocks and possibly some suspension parts along with a reinforced rear lateral support to the chassis. Also see below.

Just because the Patriot can be ordered as Trail Rated doesn’t mean that it is. I see where several owners have stayed with the FD I either because they didn’t want the CVT2L or because they didn’t feel the need for the FD II package. I think that only reinforces the point that most 4WD never go off-road, at least not to the point of doing the Rubicon and the like.

Quote:

Continuously Var. Trans w/Off-Road Crawl Ratio $1,050.00

Includes: CVT2L - second-generation continuously variable transaxle with low range, 19:1 overall crawl ratio, Skid Plates, Tow Hooks, 17-Inch Aluminum Wheels and All-Terrain Tires, Full-Size Spare Tire, Fog Lamps, Manual Seat Height Adjuster, Hill-Descent Control, Off-Road Brake Traction Control (vs. standard Brake Traction Control), +1 inch Ground Clearance vs. non-Trail Rated (FWD) versions, 19” Water Fording Capability, 29.6-degree approach angle, 34.2-degree departure angle and 23.3-degree breakover angle, Heavy Duty Engine and Trans Oil Coolers w/high output Electric Fans, Heavy Duty Alternator, A/C Air Filer and other structural and calibration enhancements to meet off-road driving requirements

Freedom Drive II Off-Road Group $725.00

Air Filtering
Height-Adjustable Driver's Seat
Fog Lamps
Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
Full-Size Spare Tire
Tow Hooks
Transmission/Engine Oil Pan Skid Plate
It looks like the latest version of the Libby comes with a 3.7 V-6 and, depending on which model, can be had with either a 4 Speed Auto or 6 Speed Manual. Curb weight checks in at 3850 – 4155 Lbs depending on configuration.

Last edited by Gramps; 04-01-2007 at 08:42 AM..
Unread 04-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #101
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Visability

Here's some comparison shots of the visibility differences between the Compass and the Patriot. The first 2 are threw the rear view mirror. The second 2 are looking over your right shoulder. Compass then Patriot.
ec-1-.jpg   epost-11-.jpg   ec-2-.jpg   epost-12-.jpg  

Unread 04-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #102
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

And some more. The passenger side and rear quarter window. Notice how the rear seat head rest is larger than the rear pillar on the Compass below and about the same size as the rear pillar on the Patriot above.
ec-5-.jpg   ec-3-.jpg   epost-13-.jpg  

Unread 04-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #103
belezeeubub
2007 MK Patriot 

Compass Vs. Patriot

I have a liberty I didn't end up trading it in last year like I thought but I am trading it in next month. I got my financee a 2007 Compass and I was going to get one myself (his and her''s compasses) she thinks I should get the Patriot instead (not a huge differance between the two of them as far as I can tell)

basically I want 24+ MPG 4x4 with a small hitch so I can tow my Quad and Black of course nothing else really matters.

I don't want a econo box I hate small cars if I wasn't driving 1600 Miles a month with gas a 3 bucks plus I would have a 3/4 Ton Surburban but people in hell want Ice water so Life goes on.

(I noticed the Compass and patriot have AC bi-pass? what is that and it looks like real AC is 900 bucks more.

anyone got some good yea or nea stuff on the compass vs patriot before I plop down 25K
belezeeubub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #104
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The only difference is the sheet metal so what ever you like. I've driven both and they both have the same road manners.

The A/C Bypass just means that there is no compressor, etc. but the wiring is all there. Definitely get the trailer tow prep package, you get the engine oil cooler and the wiring harness, the receiver is dealer installed.

Are you looking at the CVT or FD I?

Unread 04-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #105
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

A/C By-pass and cabin Filter

All vehicles are equipped with a common heater, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) housing (1). The heating-A/C system combines A/C, heating, and ventilating capabilities in a single HVAC housing mounted within the passenger compartment beneath the instrument panel. The HVAC housing includes:
• A/C evaporator (A/C system only) (2)
• Mode-air doors (3)
• Recirculation-air door and actuator (4)
Particulate air filter (when equipped) (5)
• Blower motor (6)
• Blower motor resistor (7)
• Mode control cable (8)
• Temperature control cable (9)
• Heater core (10)
• Evaporator temperature sensor (A/C system only) (11)
• Blend-air door (12)
On heater-only systems, the A/C evaporator is omitted from the HVAC housing and is replaced with an air restrictor plate. Based upon the system mode selected, conditioned air can exit the standard heater-only or optional heater-A/C housing through one or a combination of the three main housing outlets: defrost, panel or floor. The defrost and panel outlets are located on the top of the HVAC air distribution housing and the floor outlets are located on each side of the distribution housing. Once the conditioned air exits the HVAC housing, it is further directed through molded plastic ducts to the various outlets within the vehicle interior. These outlets and their locations are as follows:
• Defroster Outlet - A single large defroster outlet is located in the center of the instrument panel, near the base of the windshield.
• Side Window Demister Outlets - There are two side window demister outlets, one is located at each outboard end of the instrument panel top cover, near the belt line at the A-pillars.
• Panel Outlets - There are four panel outlets in the instrument panel, one located near each outboard end of the instrument panel facing the rear of the vehicle and two located near the top of the instrument panel center bezel.
• Front Floor Outlets - There are two front floor outlets, one located on each side the floor panel center tunnel behind the instrument panel.
Rear Seat Floor Outlets - There are two rear seat floor outlets, one located on each side of the floor panel near the front of each rear seat foot well.
hvaca.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.