Compass vs. Patriot - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass vs. Patriot

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 02-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #46
Eddo

An intresting review of the Patriot. For what it was designed to do it does
very well.

http://www.expeditionwest.com/equipm...riot/index.htm

Unread 02-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #47
madrabbitt

thanks for the post, it's about to get read, but from the picture, it looks intresting.

when i get my patriot, we're likely trading in the wife's 2wd pathfinder (if we still have it by then) and making the patriot the family DD, so i can build up the cherokee.

But its nice to know its capable of getting me to my camping spots... gotta start the kid off young, y'know.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #48
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

to Eddo for finding that review and another for the Patriot. Ya gotta read the article!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #49
madrabbitt

yeah, that was a awesome review

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 02-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #50
phil8400

Wow, the Patriot looks good. I like the Cherokee-like styling.
Hmmm, since I'm leasing my Compass, does anyone want to venture a guess as to whether or not my dealer would let me trade? Not that I don't like my Compass, but I really regret not having 4WD. (I needed a car asap when I got it, and the pickings were slim to none).
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #51
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The dealer finally had one in today. It hadn't been prepped yet but I did get to set in it. Visibility is better than the Compass with the more rectangular rear and side windows and since the windshield is more vertical that the Compass' the pillars seemed to be slightly smaller.

I've also been digging around on the Freedom drive II set up and here is a brief synopsis.

Without getting too deep into “Trail Rated” specifications that really are set by this group:

"Jeep Tail-Rated" signifies that the vehicles have passed offroad testing by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) -- which evaluates vehicles for traction, ground clearance, offroad articulation and water fording.

See: http://www.natc-ht.com/V_TRCS.htm

and as Jeep sees them:

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dyna...om/trailrated/

They are discussed in somewhat more detail over here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ht=trail+rated

Jeep pays for this testing and uses it in their advertising to there advantage. This does not mean that just because a certain Jeep (not just the Compass or Patriot) is not “Trail Rated” that it can’t do any offroading. If your offroading is less than required to take on the Rubicon or similar “trail” then a “Trail Rated badge” is nothing more than a badge but it doesn’t mean that you can’t go off road. Like anything else, common sense should prevail. For probably 95% of all 4X4 owners its only adds bragging rights but serves no practical function.

What I’ve found that the Patriot Freedom Drive II package gives you over the Compass/Patriot Freedom Drive I is an extra 1/2" of ground clearance, different programming for the standard CVT that enables a 19:1 low range instead of 14:1 (when in “L”, the AutoStick does not have “L”), hill descent control, off-road tuned traction control. Mechanically it adds longer suspension travel, skid plates, tow hooks, engine oil cooler, lower body sealing and possibly a larger radiator.
When talking with the service techs at the dealer today, they said that the only additional water fording parts were that of a “snorkle” for the air cleaner. The sales reps were not even aware of a “Trail Rated” package at all for the Patriot.
e12k-008.jpg   e12k-009.jpg   e12k-007.jpg  

Last edited by Gramps; 02-17-2007 at 05:52 PM..
Unread 02-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #52
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
The dealer finally had one in today. It hadn't been prepped yet but I did get to set in it.

- Every time someone says this i run off to jeep.com and check all dealers within 200 miles of me, plus back home.
Still no damn patriots.

- old people set. my generation sits. the youngins crawl in and check out the system.

ok, back to reading your post. I didnt get past the second sentance.

Unread 02-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #53
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
...Like anything else, common sense should prevail. For probably 95% of all 4X4 owners its only adds bragging rights but serves no practical function.
Ok here i go again.
- Yes, one would think... but this is America. We've got our common sense bred out over the generations.
- Oh no, theres a practical function. It defies the laws of gravity, physics and inertia. It also makes the brakes function better and decreases the IQ of the driver... i mean i know you've been out in the recent snowstorms, right?

Hey, i got to the middle of his post this time...

Unread 02-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #54
madrabbitt

Ok. Now. Real content.
I've been meaning to ask this to a salesminion when i actually find a patriot in stock, but its worth askin' now.

Why, when i spec out a patriot on jeep.com, can i not select the FD II as an option?
Its sport 2wd or 4wd, limited 2wd or 4wd. And further, when i choose a tranny, i get to choose stick, cvt or cvt with low range...
I need to know a better picture of how much my specific one will run me so i can have a savings goal for the summer or fall when its time to get one.

Unread 02-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #55
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt
Ok. Now. Real content.
I've been meaning to ask this to a salesminion when i actually find a patriot in stock, but its worth askin' now.

Why, when i spec out a patriot on jeep.com, can i not select the FD II as an option?
Its sport 2wd or 4wd, limited 2wd or 4wd. And further, when i choose a tranny, i get to choose stick, cvt or cvt with low range...
I need to know a better picture of how much my specific one will run me so i can have a savings goal for the summer or fall when its time to get one.
Choose "Sport or Limited", "4X4", color, "Continuously Var. Trans w/Off-Road Crawl Ratio" (that is the FD II package) and that should get you where you want to go.

Last edited by Gramps; 02-17-2007 at 06:45 PM..
Unread 02-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #56
madrabbitt

Great, thats what i was doing, however, the skid plate pkg and 17 inch wheels/as tires are still seems to be optional.

I'm doing sport 4wd, dark blue, sport pkg E, cvt with crawl, but its still coming up as no skids, 16 inchers

edit: Still coming under 22k with destination... thats going to make me happy.... actually, delete the wheel and tire package and the fogs, and its 21k exactly.

Unread 02-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #57
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Great, thats what i was doing, however, the skid plate pkg and 17 inch wheels/as tires are still seems to be optional.

I'm doing sport 4wd, dark blue, sport pkg E, cvt with crawl, but its still coming up as no skids, 16 inchers

edit: Still coming under 22k with destination... thats going to make me happy.... actually, delete the wheel and tire package and the fogs, and its 21k exactly.
I don't see the skids either but the 17x6.5 are on the "options" page, click on "more options" down in the lower left corner and expand it and you'll see

Tire and wheel group (details - 17X6.5)
P205/70R16 Black sidewall all season.

Since the only difference in the transmission is programming, the $1050 is for the skids, engine cooler, and suspension? Sounds reasonable. If you only check the CVT, the Trailer Tow prep is $130; if you check the FD II package, then the Trailer Tow Prep drops to $50 (the wiring harness presumably, over the counter they are $85 or so when I last checked) because the cooler is included in the FD II package.

The only thing that I see is a package D for the Sport and a F for the Limited ? What's up with that? How did you get an E package to show up?

Last edited by Gramps; 02-17-2007 at 08:59 PM..
Unread 02-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #58
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
i mean i know you've been out in the recent snowstorms, right?..
We must have just been bouncing back and forth, I just caught this one. I actually think its because of a "brain freeze flashback" from downing a frozen margarita the other day!

Unread 02-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #59
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That metal accent insert on bumpers is really awful.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #60
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That's only on the Limited and just paint, not an insert.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.