Compass vs. Patriot - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass vs. Patriot

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #31
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My concern was only with the transmission, that's why I specified the CVT2 and CVT2L. I do fully understand that there is a lot more that goes into the package. I did read the article before I posted the link to it. Thanks much for the hardware info from wikipedia!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick

Last edited by Gramps; 01-30-2007 at 05:32 AM..
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #32
unclejjg

If you go to Jeep.com and build/price a Patriot, I don't think there is a difference in price from the FD1 w/CVT to the FD2. This simple software modification that alters the CVT might be the reason they are priced the same.
unclejjg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #33
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You're right about that and I did find that very interesting, now I understand why. When I mod something I first gather ALL of the necessary pieces. I at least have the transmission. It's a start!

Last edited by Gramps; 01-30-2007 at 05:34 AM..
Unread 01-30-2007, 08:20 AM   #34
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

FYI:

I just did a dealer search on Jeep.com. Found 2 dealers with Patriot inventory. zip 61008, Belvidere IL and zip 61125, Rockford IL.

Unread 01-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #35
phil8400

I actually like the styling of the Patriot over my Compass. True...but hey, I was in need of a new vehicle when I bought the Compass, and I could not have waited.

That said, there are aspects of the Compass that I like more. The front end is much cooler on the Compass. All the negative comments I've read about that front are what I actually like about it. As for the Patriot, I too prefer the standard door handles.
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #36
BURNSY
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The lease on my girlfriend's Ford Escape was up last month and we have been desparately waiting for the Patriot to arrive in California. Finally found one in Nevada and made a road trip over the weekend to pick it up.

Anyone looking for a small SUV with good gas mileage, this is the one. So far we are very impressed with the outside look as well as the luxuries available on the inside. If you don't want to give up the classic Cherokee look, the Patriot hits it right on the mark.

Very impressed.
BURNSY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #37
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I remember seeing you compare this and that ever since this board was created, still haven't made up your mind yet?

Now on subject, how likely is it that you, or anyone for that matter, would take a patriot offroad? So the locking differential is a moot point. Will you tow anything that would require low range with that thing? So the addition of a TC is moot as well. As far as water fording is concerned, I doubt there are any difference between the two, consider your real limiting point is your intake, and the two share the same engine.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #38
BuzzDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl
Now on subject, how likely is it that you, or anyone for that matter, would take a patriot offroad?
Intentionally, or unintentionally?

Just out of curiousity, anyone know what percentage of Wrangler owners EVER take their vehicles offroad? I think that more than a few are purchased in the event that one needs to get back ON road than intentionally going OFF of it.
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #39
madrabbitt

Quote:
Now on subject, how likely is it that you, or anyone for that matter, would take a patriot offroad? .
i intend on it... in fact, i'm hoping that the dealer in el paso will have one in stock next month when we drive down there to show the new baby off to family.
i have a buddy who works at the dodge/jeep dealer there and we used to "test drive" alot of cars on slow weekends.

i remember one time taking a brand new power wagon out and getting it muddy as heck, they put it up on their fake rock display so its visable from the highway... was sold in 2 days.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 07:16 PM   #40
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDog
Intentionally, or unintentionally?

Just out of curiousity, anyone know what percentage of Wrangler owners EVER take their vehicles offroad? I think that more than a few are purchased in the event that one needs to get back ON road than intentionally going OFF of it.
Just FYI.

I intend on taking my Compass off road, like for camping and a few other "trails" (not Rubicon) where the mini-vans would fear to tread. I don't have to climb rocks to have fun, just get away from the crowd!

Unread 02-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #41
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt
i intend on it... in fact, i'm hoping that the dealer in el paso will have one in stock next month when we drive down there to show the new baby off to family.
i have a buddy who works at the dodge/jeep dealer there and we used to "test drive" alot of cars on slow weekends.

i remember one time taking a brand new power wagon out and getting it muddy as heck, they put it up on their fake rock display so its visable from the highway... was sold in 2 days.
Yeah well it's different when it ain't yours.

Gramps, how is a compass any more capable than a minivan with awd, or a subaru station wagon?
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #42
madrabbitt

i guess thats where the saying "drive it like you rented it" came from.

i want a patriot.
i'll very likely take a serious test drive of one when the new mexico lots get them in stock.
and by serious, i mean take her out for 3-4 hours with the whole family, put the car seat in, drive it on all the terrain that i have around me... urban city streets, long stretches of highway, mountain roads, some dirt trails, thru drive thrus and parking lots.
Really get a feel for the vehicle.
Test drive's like that make dealers feel nervous though, more time you spend in it, more things that can go wrong.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #43
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Yeah well it's different when it ain't yours.

Gramps, how is a compass any more capable than a minivan with awd, or a subaru station wagon?
I had heard it as "Drive it like you stole it" but that's another story...

The difference would be primarily ground clearance. Another is the 4 wheel lock and the ability to turn off certain features of ESP. To me it sits up higher for a more SUV feel. The minivan is bigger (too big) and I don't see that well out of them, I just don't like the way they "feel". The little AWD wagons are OK but don't have the same storage layout and cost a lot more for the features that I have. It's really just personal and prejudicial, I admit to that!

I'll also add that the Compass' off road capabilities are NOT the main reason that I have one but I am recognising it's potential. It may be limited but it's still there, not Rubicon, more Rally, not for competition, for my pleasure. Like nearly all truly off road Jeeps haven't been left "stock", my Compass may well lend itself to modifications to fit my specific needs.

Last edited by Gramps; 02-11-2007 at 07:51 AM..
Unread 02-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #44
BuzzDog

Having driven a Dodge Caravan AWD as a company vehicle - I've taken it camping and fishing when we were entertaining clients - I wholeheartedly agree with the ground clearance difference. I've yet to have anything scrape the bottom of my Compass.

Second, the size of the Compass makes it better at manuvering trails that are sometimes overgrown with brush and have rocks jutting into them. In this case, bigger is NOT better, IMHO.

Third, the center of gravity seems lower than in the Caravan. Nice feeling of security when the trail is angled 20 degrees from left to right, and there is no other way to get where you are going.

On the highway - and here we usually have to travel highways before we get to the trail - the Caravan is a handful in crosswinds. Not so for the Compass. I'm right on the Oklahoma border, and there is a line in the song "Oklahoma" - "where the wind comes sweeping down the plains." Drive a minivan down I-44 or I-40 in the spring and you'll discover that "sweeping" is putting it mildly!

Finally, it's a JEEP. It just looks better at a campsite...that accounts for something, doesn't it?
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2007, 01:57 PM   #45
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Patriot pictures are here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=1#post3301551

TrailHawk pictures are here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...95#post3301495

2 sets of pics for each, scroll up when you get there.

Last edited by Gramps; 02-13-2007 at 02:24 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.