Compass vs. Patriot - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass vs. Patriot

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 08-24-2006, 08:50 PM   #16
wdyer14

I tend to stick with not buying the first run of any car myself,but it's hard not to.I can't fault anyone for being excited about a new vehicle and wanting to purchase one.I think the main problem for the 1st run is that until you see the average person drive day in and day out you can't know about these problems.While testing they may drive 100,000 miles,but the hood is popped everyday,oil is changed monthly,gas is always fresh,computer is tuned perfect and so on,,,,lets face it as much as we like the idea this isn't real world for most of us.It's not always a problem,but some people take the leap and have no issues,and some of us get burned,,,me included (wifes new model 2001 neon )

That being said back to the original question.I have driven the compass and liked it,the power is a little shy w/cvt (stick would be perfect) but not to bad..about what you expect from a 4 cylinder in this size vehicle.All and all I was pleased it does what it is intended to do,comfortable,fuel efficient,entry level suv.Not a grand cherokee,but also not $30,000 and 15mpg.

I am waiting for the patriot now though.The styling of the compass is a little drastic for me personaly and the patriot looks more like my old xj.I don't expect this to be a hard core off road vehicle so I'm not going trail rated,just standard 4x4 w,stick and a good locker.The wheeling will be mild,I know the engine is more power than my 2.4 (150 hp) wrangler had,but it is a high revving 172hp and not really great on the torque bottomside.
Right off hand I'm thinking good air intake,plugs,wires,free flowing exhaust,the lowest gears they offer (4.10) good locker,mild 2-3"lift w,31" at's would be perfect for me,,,,,,,not that I've thought about it though

wdyer14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2006, 08:53 PM   #17
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer
I admit to being split down the middle on which I prefer. Having bought new tow Cherokee's you would think I would hands down go for the Patriot but for what the vehicle platform provides the more rounded Compass fits better to me. I still would have to have a much better looking front end before I personally would buy one and I really prefer the regular door handles that the Patriot has. I guess I'm saying I want a mix of the two. Compass with the FD II package of the Patriot but with some cosmetic work. Till then I'll keep my Cherokee. Ultimately I want a diesel powered, 5 speed automatic, full time/part time transfer case soft top with half doors 4 door Wrangler. Sorry for going off topic.
ahh, what was the topic? Oh yeah, Patriot v. Compass. First let me say that I'm glad that I don't have to choose. I'm very happy with my Compass for my own reasons and I would make the same choice again (maybe ). Really no complaints. Here are some minuscule differences between the Compass Limited 4X4 and Patriot Limited 4X4:

Overall length Patriot +.2"
Width Patriot -.2"
Height Patriot +.2"
Ground Clearance Patriot +.5
Headroom Patriot +.1
Front Hip Room Patriot -1.7
Rear Head Room Patriot -.6
Rear Leg Room +.3
Cargo Vol (rear Seats Up) Patriot +1.1 cu ft
Rear Seats Down Patriot +1.7 cu ft
Interior Vol Patriot +9.8 cu ft

otherwise all of the dimensions appear the same, seats and dash are the same.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2006, 08:57 PM   #18
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak91
yea just go to the commander forum and there at least 3 or 4 threads for stalling. dealer doesn't know what to do. its too dangerous to drive around with it stalling at unexpected times so we are trading it in for a jetta.
I did as you suggested. Sounds like they're chasing a ghost! Did you have your computer flashed?
Unread 08-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #19
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
II guess I'm saying I want a mix of the two. Compass with the FD II package of the Patriot but with some cosmetic work. Till then I'll keep my Cherokee. Ultimately I want a diesel powered, 5 speed automatic, full time/part time transfer case soft top with half doors 4 door Wrangler. Sorry for going off topic.

Me too, on the diesel.

A diesel wrangler unlimited with a 5-speed would just be AWESOME.

I HAD been planning on a Diesel Libby, but I wasn't paying enough attention and didn't realize it was an old Daimler motor and was going out of production.

And I'm encouraged by the Diesel GC they're promising for 08, but mileage just isn't enough at 19/23

Kev
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #20
Kev M
2012 WK 

On the first run vehicle thing, I could care less... I've bought the following first and second runs over my life

Saturn - SC2 second year, but first with airbag
Subaru - Forrester, first run, heck ordered it before the dealer knew it was coming out
WJ - 99 Quadra-Drive!
Mini Cooper S - second year in the US, of course it was out a couple years prior overseas

Fuel Injected Harley Road King - first year
Rubbermounted Harley Sportster - first AND second years

Honestly, I don't think A SINGLE one of thise had a teething pain I can recall.

Gramps, the measurement difference between the Patriot and Compass are all RCHs... really insignificant (so far).

I guess it ALL seems to boil down to only 2 things.

1. Freedom Drive II - which I wouldn't get cause I want a stick

and

2. Styling

I have yet to confirm an option that is available on one that isn't on the other (besides FDII and the wheel sizes). Maybe tow hooks on the Patriot.

These are non-issues for me, so it's gonna be which one I dig more. And I don't know if I'm going to wait long enough to see the Patriot first. But we'll see.

Kev
Unread 08-25-2006, 07:28 PM   #21
JeepFreak91

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampsmopar
I did as you suggested. Sounds like they're chasing a ghost! Did you have your computer flashed?
people said they did and that didnt help. so we are just getting rid of it
JeepFreak91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2006, 12:20 PM   #22
Kozmotoo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Tire Sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
Good info bubba.
Plus the limited Compasses all come with 18 in. wheels, for whatever additional clearance that might add. Kev
The maximum tire size for the platform is 27.9" or 709mm, and that's the Patriot off road/trail rated tire. I believe the 18" limited wheel and tire package on the Compass is 27.3" OD or 693mm.

Biggest wheel doesn't mean biggest OD tire.
Kozmotoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #23
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmotoo
Biggest wheel doesn't mean biggest OD tire.

Good point, but the last thing I need is a huge wheel with low profile tires...
Unread 08-31-2006, 12:47 PM   #24
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Kinda pisses me off that they won't offer FDII with a manual.

I've kinda resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to have a Jeep with no low-range if I got one.

Mine, however, would be a replacement for a '97 Sentra as the DD. I have a TJ to bang around off-road.
Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
ASUsax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #25
mealso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak91
we took a risk on buying the 2006 commander as i have stated before and it has a terrible stalling problems that could cause a major problem. this vehicle is not even a year old. I hope they improved their methods from then to now
It seems the 1.8 liter Caliber has a stalling problem as well but mostly at idle or takeoff.
mealso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2006, 06:56 AM   #26
law.74

If the platforms are so similar are the suspension and steering components interchangeable? ie would a lift kit for the patriot also lift the compass? The compass could be a fun rally style "car" given a bit of TLC...
law.74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2007, 08:13 AM   #27
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Just read on another site that there are about 20 of the Patriots down at the Glendale AZ test area to be taken to the 4 peaks area for off road tests. Initial feedback was really positive.

Also read that there is a 3" lift kit in the works for it (aftermarket), may be a bolt on or slight mod to fit the Compass.

Good info here too:

http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/patriot.html

Just for fun. Stolen from another site.
e25.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick

Last edited by Gramps; 01-30-2007 at 05:31 AM..
Unread 01-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #28
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUsax
Kinda pisses me off that they won't offer FDII with a manual.
The FDII is just a program telling the CVT to keep itself at the lowest need of it's range. Keeping the manual in first gear is the same thing except first gear in the manual isn't a 19:1 ratio.
Unread 01-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #29
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
The FDII is just a program telling the CVT to keep itself at the lowest need of it's range. Keeping the manual in first gear is the same thing except first gear in the manual isn't a 19:1 ratio.
Are you saying that this is just reprogramming with the right software to turn a CVT2 into a CVT2L or is there a hardware (transmission) change too? Nothing is ever THAT easy, is it?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick

Last edited by Gramps; 01-30-2007 at 05:31 AM..
Unread 01-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #30
unclejjg

Quote:
Freedom Drive II

Freedom Drive II uses the same hardware as the FDI system but adds a continuously variable transmission to provide the benefits of a 19:1 low-range transfer case for off-road use. FDII also adds hill descent control, off-road tuned traction control, and electronic stability program. The Patriot with FDII will also feature longer suspension travel, skid plates, tow hooks, and a full-size spare tire. This enables the FDII-equipped Patriot to wear the Trail Rated badge from Jeep. Trail Rated Jeep vehicles are capable of driving the full length of the Rubicon Trail without any modifications.
As taken from Wikipedia.com.....

I will also add off-road brakes and a cooling system....though I'll let you research the articles that provide proof of this.

Lets not over-simplify the differences here.
unclejjg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.