Compass vs. Patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass vs. Patriot

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 08-24-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
Kev M
2012 WK 

Compass vs. Patriot

Anyone have a good grip on the differences between the Compass and Patriot yet?

They share a platform. - Wheelbase, track, overall length are identical. But with styling differences come small differences in the interior, headroom here or there. Though they are split and all advatanges (even as tiny as they are) do not go just to the Patriot.

They share the same basic drivetrains. 2.4L I-4 Mitsubishi derived motor. Though it's not obvious, do they both have Variable Valve Timing?

And the Patriot has a 4wd system with locking lo range available and the Compass does not. Though the Compass does offer a center locking diff.

Prices and options are pretty similar too.

The Patriot has 16" or 17" wheels, while the Compass has 17" or 18" (personally that's advantage Patriot for me, cause I don't need huge wheels on a pavement queen).

Unfortunately the info on the Patriot at the Jeep website is still very incomplete and I have no mileage figures or tow capacity to compare, but I SUSPECT they are also going to be very similar.

I equipped a Patriot on the Jeep website with the same trim and options as I had a Compass and the price was within $70 of each other.

So here's my question.

Am I missing any differences?

Other than styling or IF you want the Lo range 4wd, what is the reason to buy one or the other?

Kev

Kev M is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
JeepFreak91

wouldnt want any of them. maybe I would want the patriot if they actually made it look like the concept and had all the options
JeepFreak91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak91
wouldnt want any of them. maybe I would want the patriot if they actually made it look like the concept and had all the options

Thanks, your insight was compelling. I think I'll scrub my plans to buy either now and keep my XJ in order to make it an off-roading god.

Unread 08-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
JeepFreak91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
Thanks, your insight was compelling. I think I'll scrub my plans to buy either now and keep my XJ in order to make it an off-roading god.

good choice
Unread 08-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak91
good choice

Unread 08-24-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
pdxbubba
2006 KJ Liberty 

We are looking at the Patriot (only with the FDII package) as it is "Trail Rated" and is said to be "...Most Capable Vehicle in its Class."

It also has a little more cargo capacity than the Compass (62.7 cu. ft. vs. 61.8 cu. feet)

We both prefer the overall look of the Patriot over the round Compass.

Quote:
...This all-new Jeep technology includes the CVT2L’s best-in-class 19:1 low ratio, which is ideal for crawling over obstacles. Off-road Brake Traction Control maintains forward mobility during heavy articulation or on split-friction surfaces where one wheel loses traction. Hill-Descent Control modulates brake hydraulic pressure without driver intervention for downhill assistance at a safe and controlled rate of speed. Three-mode ESP and off-road anti-lock brakes (ABS) also add to the Patriot’s off-road capability.

The Trail Rated Jeep Patriot sits 1 inch higher than non-Trail Rated versions and meets Jeep off-road capability requirements for traction, water fording, articulation, maneuverability and ground clearance, including 9 inches of ground clearance, a 29-degree approach angle, a 33-degree departure angle and a 23-degree breakover angle. This version of the Patriot also has additional body sealing and high-mounted drivetrain vents to support 19-inch water fording capability. In fact, the Jeep Patriot’s body and chassis were developed and tested over numerous rugged off-road terrains to meet the requirements of the enthusiast Jeep customer.
We plan on actually putting it to the test during our normal use, which is why we are mostly looking to the Jeep line for our next vehicle. The Patriot is not a heavy-duty rock crawler... but that's not what we want it to do. We are looking for a daily commuter vehicle with good gas mileage that can take the family of 5 back up the mountain trails to get away from pavement and people for a relaxing campout on the weekends. There are a few trails we won't be able to go down, sure. Most we should make it without issue in the Patriot.

Compass: 8-inches of ground clearance, 21.1-degree approach angle, 32-degree departure angle and 21-degree breakover angle.

Patriot: 9-inches of ground clearance, 29-degree approach angle, 33-degree departure angle and 23-degree breakover angle... with 19-inch water fording ability! (that's a plus in the Pacific Northwest.)
Unread 08-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
Kev M
2012 WK 

Good info bubba.

It's funny, I guess it's only the "trail rated" versions of the Patriot with the FDII package that have that additional clearance because I noted on the Jeep website today that in stock form the Compass was listed with 8.4 in. of ground clearance (on the 17 in wheels) while the Patriot was listed as only 8.0 in of ground clearance (again on the 17 in. wheels). Plus the limited Compasses all come with 18 in. wheels, for whatever additional clearance that might add.

For me, we're really just looking at pavement queens to do snow/rain duty, so it's not as critical. However, I'm sure the occassional dirt trail shouldn't prove a problem for either.

Kev
Unread 08-24-2006, 06:25 PM   #8
JeepFreak91

on a serious note i wouldnt get anything the first year they come out because of all the bugs the first new model years are prone to. like our 06 commander stalling
Unread 08-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

And like a '70 Hemi Challenger is something you wouldn't want either.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
JeepFreak91

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampsmopar
And like a '70 Hemi Challenger is something you wouldn't want either.
all i was saying is that just be aware of the possible problems. i never said that they were guaranteed to happen.
Unread 08-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Hopefully the computer age has brought us improvements to the first year designs. DC has some of the best engineering studios any where and if it was a first year Hyundai I wouldn't consider it. In many cases, I agree with you, but you have to consider the source. Whether anybody likes the Compass/Patriot or not I don't think that Jeep would like to blow it's reputation on making junque. Sure I took a gamble, or as I prefer to call it, a calculated risk. Life is like that.
Unread 08-24-2006, 07:00 PM   #12
JeepFreak91

we took a risk on buying the 2006 commander as i have stated before and it has a terrible stalling problems that could cause a major problem. this vehicle is not even a year old. I hope they improved their methods from then to now
Unread 08-24-2006, 07:07 PM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I am curious as to what the dealer says about it. Has this been a problem on other Commanders? I do sympathize for you. There are lemon laws in all states (I think).
Unread 08-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #14
JeepFreak91

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampsmopar
I am curious as to what the dealer says about it. Has this been a problem on other Commanders? I do sympathize for you. There are lemon laws in all states (I think).
yea just go to the commander forum and there atleast 3 or 4 threads for stalling. dealer doesnt know what to do. its too dangerous to drive around with it stalling at unexpected times so we are trading it in for a jetta.
Unread 08-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #15
XJ2Timer

I admit to being split down the middle on which I prefer. Having bought new tow Cherokee's you would think I would hands down go for the Patriot but for what the vehicle platform provides the more rounded Compass fits better to me. I still would have to have a much better looking front end before I personally would buy one and I really prefer the regular door handles that the Patriot has. I guess I'm saying I want a mix of the two. Compass with the FD II package of the Patriot but with some cosmetic work. Till then I'll keep my Cherokee. Ultimately I want a diesel powered, 5 speed automatic, full time/part time transfer case soft top with half doors 4 door Wrangler. Sorry for going off topic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.