Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Compass vs. Patriot

63K views 118 replies 26 participants last post by  Jeepster55 
#1 ·
Anyone have a good grip on the differences between the Compass and Patriot yet?

They share a platform. - Wheelbase, track, overall length are identical. But with styling differences come small differences in the interior, headroom here or there. Though they are split and all advatanges (even as tiny as they are) do not go just to the Patriot.

They share the same basic drivetrains. 2.4L I-4 Mitsubishi derived motor. Though it's not obvious, do they both have Variable Valve Timing?

And the Patriot has a 4wd system with locking lo range available and the Compass does not. Though the Compass does offer a center locking diff.

Prices and options are pretty similar too.

The Patriot has 16" or 17" wheels, while the Compass has 17" or 18" (personally that's advantage Patriot for me, cause I don't need huge wheels on a pavement queen).

Unfortunately the info on the Patriot at the Jeep website is still very incomplete and I have no mileage figures or tow capacity to compare, but I SUSPECT they are also going to be very similar.

I equipped a Patriot on the Jeep website with the same trim and options as I had a Compass and the price was within $70 of each other.

So here's my question.

Am I missing any differences?

Other than styling or IF you want the Lo range 4wd, what is the reason to buy one or the other?

Kev

See less See more
#27 · (Edited)
Just read on another site that there are about 20 of the Patriots down at the Glendale AZ test area to be taken to the 4 peaks area for off road tests. Initial feedback was really positive.

Also read that there is a 3" lift kit in the works for it (aftermarket), may be a bolt on or slight mod to fit the Compass.

Good info here too:

http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/patriot.html

Just for fun. Stolen from another site.

Attachments

#28 ·
ASUsax said:
Kinda pisses me off that they won't offer FDII with a manual.
The FDII is just a program telling the CVT to keep itself at the lowest need of it's range. Keeping the manual in first gear is the same thing except first gear in the manual isn't a 19:1 ratio.

#29 · (Edited)
XJ2Timer said:
The FDII is just a program telling the CVT to keep itself at the lowest need of it's range. Keeping the manual in first gear is the same thing except first gear in the manual isn't a 19:1 ratio.
Are you saying that this is just reprogramming with the right software to turn a CVT2 into a CVT2L or is there a hardware (transmission) change too? Nothing is ever THAT easy, is it?

#30 ·
Freedom Drive II

Freedom Drive II uses the same hardware as the FDI system but adds a continuously variable transmission to provide the benefits of a 19:1 low-range transfer case for off-road use. FDII also adds hill descent control, off-road tuned traction control, and electronic stability program. The Patriot with FDII will also feature longer suspension travel, skid plates, tow hooks, and a full-size spare tire. This enables the FDII-equipped Patriot to wear the Trail Rated badge from Jeep. Trail Rated Jeep vehicles are capable of driving the full length of the Rubicon Trail without any modifications.
As taken from Wikipedia.com.....

I will also add off-road brakes and a cooling system....though I'll let you research the articles that provide proof of this.

Lets not over-simplify the differences here.

#31 · (Edited)
My concern was only with the transmission, that's why I specified the CVT2 and CVT2L. I do fully understand that there is a lot more that goes into the package. I did read the article before I posted the link to it. Thanks much for the hardware info from wikipedia!:thumbsup:

#33 · (Edited)
You're right about that and I did find that very interesting, now I understand why. When I mod something I first gather ALL of the necessary pieces. I at least have the transmission.:laugh: It's a start!

#35 ·
I actually like the styling of the Patriot over my Compass. True...but hey, I was in need of a new vehicle when I bought the Compass, and I could not have waited.

That said, there are aspects of the Compass that I like more. The front end is much cooler on the Compass. All the negative comments I've read about that front are what I actually like about it. As for the Patriot, I too prefer the standard door handles.

#36 ·
The lease on my girlfriend's Ford Escape was up last month and we have been desparately waiting for the Patriot to arrive in California. Finally found one in Nevada and made a road trip over the weekend to pick it up.

Anyone looking for a small SUV with good gas mileage, this is the one. So far we are very impressed with the outside look as well as the luxuries available on the inside. If you don't want to give up the classic Cherokee look, the Patriot hits it right on the mark.

Very impressed.

#37 ·
I remember seeing you compare this and that ever since this board was created, still haven't made up your mind yet? :D

Now on subject, how likely is it that you, or anyone for that matter, would take a patriot offroad? So the locking differential is a moot point. Will you tow anything that would require low range with that thing? So the addition of a TC is moot as well. As far as water fording is concerned, I doubt there are any difference between the two, consider your real limiting point is your intake, and the two share the same engine.

#38 ·
jzmtl said:
Now on subject, how likely is it that you, or anyone for that matter, would take a patriot offroad?
Intentionally, or unintentionally? :laugh:

Just out of curiousity, anyone know what percentage of Wrangler owners EVER take their vehicles offroad? I think that more than a few are purchased in the event that one needs to get back ON road than intentionally going OFF of it.

#39 ·
jzmtl said:
Now on subject, how likely is it that you, or anyone for that matter, would take a patriot offroad? .
:2thumbsup: i intend on it... in fact, i'm hoping that the dealer in el paso will have one in stock next month when we drive down there to show the new baby off to family.
i have a buddy who works at the dodge/jeep dealer there and we used to "test drive" alot of cars on slow weekends.

i remember one time taking a brand new power wagon out and getting it muddy as heck, they put it up on their fake rock display so its visable from the highway... was sold in 2 days.

#40 ·
BuzzDog said:
Intentionally, or unintentionally? :laugh:

Just out of curiousity, anyone know what percentage of Wrangler owners EVER take their vehicles offroad? I think that more than a few are purchased in the event that one needs to get back ON road than intentionally going OFF of it.
Just FYI.

I intend on taking my Compass off road, like for camping and a few other "trails" (not Rubicon) where the mini-vans would fear to tread. I don't have to climb rocks to have fun, just get away from the crowd!

#41 ·
madrabbitt said:
:2thumbsup: i intend on it... in fact, i'm hoping that the dealer in el paso will have one in stock next month when we drive down there to show the new baby off to family.
i have a buddy who works at the dodge/jeep dealer there and we used to "test drive" alot of cars on slow weekends.

i remember one time taking a brand new power wagon out and getting it muddy as heck, they put it up on their fake rock display so its visable from the highway... was sold in 2 days.
Yeah well it's different when it ain't yours. :D

Gramps, how is a compass any more capable than a minivan with awd, or a subaru station wagon?

#42 ·
i guess thats where the saying "drive it like you rented it" came from.

i want a patriot.
i'll very likely take a serious test drive of one when the new mexico lots get them in stock.
and by serious, i mean take her out for 3-4 hours with the whole family, put the car seat in, drive it on all the terrain that i have around me... urban city streets, long stretches of highway, mountain roads, some dirt trails, thru drive thrus and parking lots.
Really get a feel for the vehicle.
Test drive's like that make dealers feel nervous though, more time you spend in it, more things that can go wrong.

#43 · (Edited)
jzmtl said:
Yeah well it's different when it ain't yours. :D

Gramps, how is a compass any more capable than a minivan with awd, or a subaru station wagon?
I had heard it as "Drive it like you stole it" but that's another story...:rofl:

The difference would be primarily ground clearance. Another is the 4 wheel lock and the ability to turn off certain features of ESP. To me it sits up higher for a more SUV feel. The minivan is bigger (too big) and I don't see that well out of them, I just don't like the way they "feel". The little AWD wagons are OK but don't have the same storage layout and cost a lot more for the features that I have. It's really just personal and prejudicial, I admit to that!

I'll also add that the Compass' off road capabilities are NOT the main reason that I have one but I am recognising it's potential. It may be limited but it's still there, not Rubicon, more Rally, not for competition, for my pleasure. Like nearly all truly off road Jeeps haven't been left "stock", my Compass may well lend itself to modifications to fit my specific needs.

#44 ·
Having driven a Dodge Caravan AWD as a company vehicle - I've taken it camping and fishing when we were entertaining clients - I wholeheartedly agree with the ground clearance difference. I've yet to have anything scrape the bottom of my Compass.

Second, the size of the Compass makes it better at manuvering trails that are sometimes overgrown with brush and have rocks jutting into them. In this case, bigger is NOT better, IMHO.

Third, the center of gravity seems lower than in the Caravan. Nice feeling of security when the trail is angled 20 degrees from left to right, and there is no other way to get where you are going.

On the highway - and here we usually have to travel highways before we get to the trail - the Caravan is a handful in crosswinds. Not so for the Compass. I'm right on the Oklahoma border, and there is a line in the song "Oklahoma" - "where the wind comes sweeping down the plains." Drive a minivan down I-44 or I-40 in the spring and you'll discover that "sweeping" is putting it mildly!

Finally, it's a JEEP. It just looks better at a campsite...that accounts for something, doesn't it?

#45 · (Edited)
#47 ·
thanks for the post, it's about to get read, but from the picture, it looks intresting.

when i get my patriot, we're likely trading in the wife's 2wd pathfinder (if we still have it by then) and making the patriot the family DD, so i can build up the cherokee.

But its nice to know its capable of getting me to my camping spots... gotta start the kid off young, y'know.

#50 ·
Wow, the Patriot looks good. I like the Cherokee-like styling.
Hmmm, since I'm leasing my Compass, does anyone want to venture a guess as to whether or not my dealer would let me trade? Not that I don't like my Compass, but I really regret not having 4WD. (I needed a car asap when I got it, and the pickings were slim to none).

#51 · (Edited)
The dealer finally had one in today. It hadn't been prepped yet but I did get to set in it. Visibility is better than the Compass with the more rectangular rear and side windows and since the windshield is more vertical that the Compass' the pillars seemed to be slightly smaller.

I've also been digging around on the Freedom drive II set up and here is a brief synopsis.

Without getting too deep into "Trail Rated" specifications that really are set by this group:

"Jeep Tail-Rated" signifies that the vehicles have passed offroad testing by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) -- which evaluates vehicles for traction, ground clearance, offroad articulation and water fording.

See: http://www.natc-ht.com/V_TRCS.htm

and as Jeep sees them:

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dyna...om/trailrated/

They are discussed in somewhat more detail over here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363889&highlight=trail+rated

Jeep pays for this testing and uses it in their advertising to there advantage. This does not mean that just because a certain Jeep (not just the Compass or Patriot) is not "Trail Rated" that it can't do any offroading. If your offroading is less than required to take on the Rubicon or similar "trail" then a "Trail Rated badge" is nothing more than a badge but it doesn't mean that you can't go off road. Like anything else, common sense should prevail. For probably 95% of all 4X4 owners its only adds bragging rights but serves no practical function.

What I've found that the Patriot Freedom Drive II package gives you over the Compass/Patriot Freedom Drive I is an extra 1/2" of ground clearance, different programming for the standard CVT that enables a 19:1 low range instead of 14:1 (when in "L", the AutoStick does not have "L"), hill descent control, off-road tuned traction control. Mechanically it adds longer suspension travel, skid plates, tow hooks, engine oil cooler, lower body sealing and possibly a larger radiator.
When talking with the service techs at the dealer today, they said that the only additional water fording parts were that of a "snorkle" for the air cleaner. The sales reps were not even aware of a "Trail Rated" package at all for the Patriot.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.