Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Compass vs. Patriot

63K views 118 replies 26 participants last post by  Jeepster55 
#1 ·
Anyone have a good grip on the differences between the Compass and Patriot yet?

They share a platform. - Wheelbase, track, overall length are identical. But with styling differences come small differences in the interior, headroom here or there. Though they are split and all advatanges (even as tiny as they are) do not go just to the Patriot.

They share the same basic drivetrains. 2.4L I-4 Mitsubishi derived motor. Though it's not obvious, do they both have Variable Valve Timing?

And the Patriot has a 4wd system with locking lo range available and the Compass does not. Though the Compass does offer a center locking diff.

Prices and options are pretty similar too.

The Patriot has 16" or 17" wheels, while the Compass has 17" or 18" (personally that's advantage Patriot for me, cause I don't need huge wheels on a pavement queen).

Unfortunately the info on the Patriot at the Jeep website is still very incomplete and I have no mileage figures or tow capacity to compare, but I SUSPECT they are also going to be very similar.

I equipped a Patriot on the Jeep website with the same trim and options as I had a Compass and the price was within $70 of each other.

So here's my question.

Am I missing any differences?

Other than styling or IF you want the Lo range 4wd, what is the reason to buy one or the other?

Kev

See less See more
#3 ·
JeepFreak91 said:
wouldnt want any of them. maybe I would want the patriot if they actually made it look like the concept and had all the options
Thanks, your insight was compelling. I think I'll scrub my plans to buy either now and keep my XJ in order to make it an off-roading god. :p

:popCorn:

;)

:D

#6 ·
We are looking at the Patriot (only with the FDII package) as it is "Trail Rated" and is said to be "...Most Capable Vehicle in its Class."

It also has a little more cargo capacity than the Compass (62.7 cu. ft. vs. 61.8 cu. feet)

We both prefer the overall look of the Patriot over the round Compass.

...This all-new Jeep technology includes the CVT2L's best-in-class 19:1 low ratio, which is ideal for crawling over obstacles. Off-road Brake Traction Control maintains forward mobility during heavy articulation or on split-friction surfaces where one wheel loses traction. Hill-Descent Control modulates brake hydraulic pressure without driver intervention for downhill assistance at a safe and controlled rate of speed. Three-mode ESP and off-road anti-lock brakes (ABS) also add to the Patriot's off-road capability.

The Trail Rated Jeep Patriot sits 1 inch higher than non-Trail Rated versions and meets Jeep off-road capability requirements for traction, water fording, articulation, maneuverability and ground clearance, including 9 inches of ground clearance, a 29-degree approach angle, a 33-degree departure angle and a 23-degree breakover angle. This version of the Patriot also has additional body sealing and high-mounted drivetrain vents to support 19-inch water fording capability. In fact, the Jeep Patriot's body and chassis were developed and tested over numerous rugged off-road terrains to meet the requirements of the enthusiast Jeep customer.
We plan on actually putting it to the test during our normal use, which is why we are mostly looking to the Jeep line for our next vehicle. The Patriot is not a heavy-duty rock crawler... but that's not what we want it to do. We are looking for a daily commuter vehicle with good gas mileage that can take the family of 5 back up the mountain trails to get away from pavement and people for a relaxing campout on the weekends. There are a few trails we won't be able to go down, sure. Most we should make it without issue in the Patriot.

Compass: 8-inches of ground clearance, 21.1-degree approach angle, 32-degree departure angle and 21-degree breakover angle.

Patriot: 9-inches of ground clearance, 29-degree approach angle, 33-degree departure angle and 23-degree breakover angle... with 19-inch water fording ability! (that's a plus in the Pacific Northwest.)

#107 ·
Compass: 8-inches of ground clearance, 21.1-degree approach angle, 32-degree departure angle and 21-degree breakover angle.

Patriot: 9-inches of ground clearance, 29-degree approach angle, 33-degree departure angle and 23-degree breakover angle
Is "not-trail-rated" Patriot (Patriot with FDI) with the same angles as Compass?

#7 ·
Good info bubba.

It's funny, I guess it's only the "trail rated" versions of the Patriot with the FDII package that have that additional clearance because I noted on the Jeep website today that in stock form the Compass was listed with 8.4 in. of ground clearance (on the 17 in wheels) while the Patriot was listed as only 8.0 in of ground clearance (again on the 17 in. wheels). Plus the limited Compasses all come with 18 in. wheels, for whatever additional clearance that might add.

For me, we're really just looking at pavement queens to do snow/rain duty, so it's not as critical. However, I'm sure the occassional dirt trail shouldn't prove a problem for either.

Kev

#11 ·
Hopefully the computer age has brought us improvements to the first year designs. DC has some of the best engineering studios any where and if it was a first year Hyundai I wouldn't consider it. In many cases, I agree with you, but you have to consider the source. Whether anybody likes the Compass/Patriot or not I don't think that Jeep would like to blow it's reputation on making junque. Sure I took a gamble, or as I prefer to call it, a calculated risk. Life is like that.

#13 ·
I am curious as to what the dealer says about it. Has this been a problem on other Commanders? I do sympathize for you. There are lemon laws in all states (I think).

#14 ·
grampsmopar said:
I am curious as to what the dealer says about it. Has this been a problem on other Commanders? I do sympathize for you. There are lemon laws in all states (I think).
yea just go to the commander forum and there atleast 3 or 4 threads for stalling. dealer doesnt know what to do. its too dangerous to drive around with it stalling at unexpected times so we are trading it in for a jetta.

#15 ·
I admit to being split down the middle on which I prefer. Having bought new tow Cherokee's you would think I would hands down go for the Patriot but for what the vehicle platform provides the more rounded Compass fits better to me. I still would have to have a much better looking front end before I personally would buy one and I really prefer the regular door handles that the Patriot has. I guess I'm saying I want a mix of the two. Compass with the FD II package of the Patriot but with some cosmetic work. Till then I'll keep my Cherokee. Ultimately I want a diesel powered, 5 speed automatic, full time/part time transfer case soft top with half doors 4 door Wrangler. Sorry for going off topic.

#16 ·
:D I tend to stick with not buying the first run of any car myself,but it's hard not to.I can't fault anyone for being excited about a new vehicle and wanting to purchase one.I think the main problem for the 1st run is that until you see the average person drive day in and day out you can't know about these problems.While testing they may drive 100,000 miles,but the hood is popped everyday,oil is changed monthly,gas is always fresh,computer is tuned perfect and so on,,,,lets face it as much as we like the idea this isn't real world for most of us.It's not always a problem,but some people take the leap and have no issues,and some of us get burned,,,me included (wifes new model 2001 neon :rolleyes: )

That being said back to the original question.I have driven the compass and liked it,the power is a little shy w/cvt (stick would be perfect) but not to bad..about what you expect from a 4 cylinder in this size vehicle.All and all I was pleased it does what it is intended to do,comfortable,fuel efficient,entry level suv.Not a grand cherokee,but also not $30,000 and 15mpg.

I am waiting for the patriot now though.The styling of the compass is a little drastic for me personaly and the patriot looks more like my old xj.I don't expect this to be a hard core off road vehicle so I'm not going trail rated,just standard 4x4 w,stick and a good locker.The wheeling will be mild,I know the engine is more power than my 2.4 (150 hp) wrangler had,but it is a high revving 172hp and not really great on the torque bottomside.
Right off hand I'm thinking good air intake,plugs,wires,free flowing exhaust,the lowest gears they offer (4.10) good locker,mild 2-3"lift w,31" at's would be perfect for me,,,,,,,not that I've thought about it though :D

#17 ·
XJ2Timer said:
I admit to being split down the middle on which I prefer. Having bought new tow Cherokee's you would think I would hands down go for the Patriot but for what the vehicle platform provides the more rounded Compass fits better to me. I still would have to have a much better looking front end before I personally would buy one and I really prefer the regular door handles that the Patriot has. I guess I'm saying I want a mix of the two. Compass with the FD II package of the Patriot but with some cosmetic work. Till then I'll keep my Cherokee. Ultimately I want a diesel powered, 5 speed automatic, full time/part time transfer case soft top with half doors 4 door Wrangler. Sorry for going off topic.
ahh, what was the topic? Oh yeah, Patriot v. Compass. First let me say that I'm glad that I don't have to choose. I'm very happy with my Compass for my own reasons and I would make the same choice again (maybe :D ). Really no complaints. Here are some minuscule differences between the Compass Limited 4X4 and Patriot Limited 4X4:

Overall length Patriot +.2"
Width Patriot -.2"
Height Patriot +.2"
Ground Clearance Patriot +.5
Headroom Patriot +.1
Front Hip Room Patriot -1.7
Rear Head Room Patriot -.6
Rear Leg Room +.3
Cargo Vol (rear Seats Up) Patriot +1.1 cu ft
Rear Seats Down Patriot +1.7 cu ft
Interior Vol Patriot +9.8 cu ft

otherwise all of the dimensions appear the same, seats and dash are the same.

#18 ·
JeepFreak91 said:
yea just go to the commander forum and there at least 3 or 4 threads for stalling. dealer doesn't know what to do. its too dangerous to drive around with it stalling at unexpected times so we are trading it in for a jetta.
I did as you suggested. Sounds like they're chasing a ghost! Did you have your computer flashed?

#19 ·
XJ2Timer said:
II guess I'm saying I want a mix of the two. Compass with the FD II package of the Patriot but with some cosmetic work. Till then I'll keep my Cherokee. Ultimately I want a diesel powered, 5 speed automatic, full time/part time transfer case soft top with half doors 4 door Wrangler. Sorry for going off topic.
Me too, on the diesel.

A diesel wrangler unlimited with a 5-speed would just be AWESOME.

I HAD been planning on a Diesel Libby, but I wasn't paying enough attention and didn't realize it was an old Daimler motor and was going out of production.

And I'm encouraged by the Diesel GC they're promising for 08, but mileage just isn't enough at 19/23

Kev

#20 ·
On the first run vehicle thing, I could care less... I've bought the following first and second runs over my life

Saturn - SC2 second year, but first with airbag
Subaru - Forrester, first run, heck ordered it before the dealer knew it was coming out
WJ - 99 Quadra-Drive!
Mini Cooper S - second year in the US, of course it was out a couple years prior overseas

Fuel Injected Harley Road King - first year
Rubbermounted Harley Sportster - first AND second years

Honestly, I don't think A SINGLE one of thise had a teething pain I can recall.

Gramps, the measurement difference between the Patriot and Compass are all RCHs... really insignificant (so far).

I guess it ALL seems to boil down to only 2 things.

1. Freedom Drive II - which I wouldn't get cause I want a stick

and

2. Styling

I have yet to confirm an option that is available on one that isn't on the other (besides FDII and the wheel sizes). Maybe tow hooks on the Patriot.

These are non-issues for me, so it's gonna be which one I dig more. And I don't know if I'm going to wait long enough to see the Patriot first. But we'll see.

Kev

#22 ·
Tire Sizes

Kev M said:
Good info bubba.
Plus the limited Compasses all come with 18 in. wheels, for whatever additional clearance that might add. Kev
The maximum tire size for the platform is 27.9" or 709mm, and that's the Patriot off road/trail rated tire. I believe the 18" limited wheel and tire package on the Compass is 27.3" OD or 693mm.

Biggest wheel doesn't mean biggest OD tire.

#24 ·
Kinda pisses me off that they won't offer FDII with a manual.

I've kinda resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to have a Jeep with no low-range if I got one.

Mine, however, would be a replacement for a '97 Sentra as the DD. I have a TJ to bang around off-road. :thumbsup:

#25 ·
JeepFreak91 said:
we took a risk on buying the 2006 commander as i have stated before and it has a terrible stalling problems that could cause a major problem. this vehicle is not even a year old. I hope they improved their methods from then to now
It seems the 1.8 liter Caliber has a stalling problem as well but mostly at idle or takeoff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.