Compass US vs. EU version - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass US vs. EU version

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 06-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
athanasios

Compass US vs. EU version

Hi All,

great forum. Has helped me a lot deciding on my next car.

I am located in Switzerland, and for some inexplicable reason the Swiss Jeep subsidiary has decided to offer the Pebble Beige interior only in combination with a Light Khaki Metallic exterior.

Since Light Khaki is not my first choice (but the beige interior is my wife's first choice), I was contemplating buying the Compass in the US and have it shipped over (with the added bonus of a substantially lower cost even after shipping and taxes).

The only thing I haven't been able to properly pinpoint are the differences between US and EU models. I know there are some minor differences like headrests, blinker lights and mph instead of kmh on the speedometer, which shouldn't be an issue with our local regulations or can be changed at reasonable cost. I know the NavSat and Radio (frequency spectrum) are different, but am not too concerned as I will probably fit a Pioneer AVIC-D3 anyway (still looking for the right CAN-BUS interface, but this is a question for a different thread I guess).

Is anybody aware of any major differences between the US and EU versions? I am looking at the 2.4 CVT Limited 4x4.

Also, since no dealer here has any Khaki Metallic/Pebble Beige in stock: Are the pictures on Jeep's website more or less accurate or are the colors completely different in real life?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Alex

athanasios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

It might be hard for you to get it registered there since its a US model, I know it is next to impossible to import a vehicle here and try and register it. I really dunno the differences, maybe some different tuning and such, I figure the US model won't have the thatcham security deal on it.
Unread 06-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Hi Alex I see that you’ve gone from registered user to a supporter. Way to go.

The easy question first – colors. At least on my monitors (NEC and Dell) the colors are pretty darn close to what’s on all of the Jeeps. The Light Khaki my wife calls “champagne” and it would have been her first choice but this Jeep was for me . This brochure looks just like I’ve seen them in the showroom. http://www.jeep.se/vehicles/compass/...ompass2007.pdf

You’ve already listed some of the differences so I’ll just add to those. Sorry that I can’t read many other languages other than English. When I went into the International section of Jeep.com I did look around at Swiss pictures but had to go over to the UK listing for information.

Power HEATED mirrors on the Euro. Not heated on N.A. (North American)
110V power supply on N.A.. None on Export.
License Plate attachment is different.

The Headlight Reflectors/Buckets are also different. The correct term is Headlight Capsules; the Euro part number is 5303 876AA for the right side and 5303 877AA for the left side. They also call for a different bulb, L00 H4 60W and a socket to match. The UK listing said that they were self leveling.

Those are the only differences that I can find.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

More info on Thatcham Security:

http://www.microscanalarms.co.uk/an5...cham_alarm.htm

I have the optional Jeep Security package on mine, that along with the standard Sentry Key is what you could get on any N.A. version.

It's NORMALLY easier to export from the US than import into it. Our pollution laws are more strict than most other countries. Other countries I'm sure add an import duty and other taxes along with what it cost to ship. Those are normally the big deterrents to having one imported in to another country.

Unread 06-11-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I work for a supplier to somebody gramps, and asked them one day about why some doors got some different parts on them and some didn't, and apparently, its a big thing in Europe to cut a hole in the car door and somehow open the door that way. So there will also be minor interior sheet metal differences. All Euro spec cars (I think all anyway) have to pass some sort of thatcham type deal or other, its not really clear to me what is done. To be honest, I guess it all really depends on if said US spec Compass can meet all the codes and requirements of where you live. edit: if switzerland has decided to only offer it in one color, can't you go to another country and buy it that way? Wouldn't that be cheaper (maybe)? Or is it Euro Jeep overall that has decided that?
Unread 06-11-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Good questions. I went into other country sites and noticed that not all colors were available in several that I looked at, different colors were missing in each.
Maybe the only way to know about extra body panel reinforcement would be to watch how they are done at the factory and do the Swiss have the same criteria as the UK?

Unread 06-12-2007, 06:40 AM   #7
athanasios

Gramps, CoriolisSTORM,

thanks for all your answers.

Getting it registered in Switzerland is not that much of an issue. Especially if the model per se exists here as well. Once you pay duties and taxes, customs will issue a document with all tech specs that you can take to our equivalent of the DMV. There they will check emissions and mechanics (even on a new vehicle) plus compliance with our laws. To comply, normally little needs to be changed on a US vehicle. Usually the speedometer dial (plus recalibration) and the blinkers (yellow/orange instead of red).
The headlights are no issue (only in the UK because they drive on the left side).

The Alarm system will be different, but usually no issue. Requirement is that it has to stop after max. 30 seconds (If it doesn't, I'll have to disable it. No big deal). What we need to have is what we call an "immobiliser", which is basically a key with an electronic chip. If I understood the US specs correctly, this is the equivalent to the "Sentry Key". This not as much as a legal requirement, but insurers insist.

The power inverter would be a nice goodie. Even if only 115V, most of my mobile gear has switching power supplies, so that would be great.

Will double check on the headlights, but believe it to be a problem only for the UK.

If those are the only differences, I don't foresee any problems. Would be great.

As far as cost, if anybody is interested:
The fully loaded 2.4CVT Limited 4x4 is CHF 45'950.00 (roughly USD 37'000.00)
Duty, taxes and shipping come to about CHF 6'500 (roughly USD 5'200.00)
So as unbelievable as it sounds, it's still economically viable to import it.

As far as the colors. It isn't Jeep Europe, but the single countries that decide which colors to offer. There are a couple of countries where I'd probably find the right combination. However, the price will be similar to the Swiss price, so adding Taxes, etc. it becomes a dealbreaker (unfortunately Switzerland isn't part of the EU yet, so tax wise it is like importing from the US. Would only save on shipping but pay a much higher price to start with). Model-wise, Swiss and EU models are the same.

@Gramps: Thanks for confirming the color for me. If your wife calls it champagne, then it probably looks better than I would have thought.

Thanks to both of you for all the input.

Alex

P.S. Glad to support this forum. I know what it takes to run a large site.
Unread 06-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
djp_63

Yikes! A 37K dollar Compass That is more than an Land Rover LRV2 in the US! What are your other choices?

DJP
djp_63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanasios
What we need to have is what we call an "immobiliser", which is basically a key with an electronic chip. If I understood the US specs correctly, this is the equivalent to the "Sentry Key". This not as much as a legal requirement, but insurers insist.
That is standard on all N.A. versions. Just confirming.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
athanasios

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp_63
Yikes! A 37K dollar Compass That is more than an Land Rover LRV2 in the US! What are your other choices?

DJP
Unfortunately the high prices are true for all brands.

I looked at a similarly equipped FL2/LR2 and was looking at short of USD50K. A RAV4 is about 45K.

So I guess the Compass is very good value in all markets.
Unread 06-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #11
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

What about European brands, are they any cheaper over there? MB I'm lookin' at you...
Unread 06-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #12
athanasios

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM
What about European brands, are they any cheaper over there? MB I'm lookin' at you...
Unfortunately not. See my Landrover example.

As far as MB. They don't really have anything that compares to a Compass, so I just took the GL as an example:

GL 320 CDI 4MATIC starts at CHF 99'000 (roughly USD 79'000)
(Maybe not be equipped exactly as in the US, but you get the picture)
Unread 06-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

darn, I was gonna move to Stuttgart and apply for a job there if they were!
Unread 06-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM
Most European countries have a very high tax rate, which drives up the costs. Additionally, there will be a high Value Added Tax on the car itself. (kinda like a sales tax) All of those combine to make a car much more expensive in Europe than here.
Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
ASUsax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

orama

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.