Compass TPMS - replacements, and how to install? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass TPMS - replacements, and how to install?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
plunderisley

Compass TPMS - replacements, and how to install?

As I got winter tires I had the dealer change the sensors from the all year to the winter. Costed about 60USD. I'm thinking in the long run it might be cheaper to buy 4 extra sensors and use those. Can the system take 8 sensors? How does it sync with the onboard computer and how can I program it? What happens if I swap tires around?

plunderisley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The sensors are "proximity" sensors. Programming is not required. You could run as may sensors as you want but I have heard of the computer picking up the tires in the garage but that clears up as soon as you drive away.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
plunderisley

So each sensor is not programmed to a certain side of the car? I can just swap them around and they should work?
Unread 02-26-2009, 03:34 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Correct.

DESCRIPTION
A transponder, sometimes referred to as a trigger module, is located in three of the four wheel wells (behind the wheelhouse splash shields) of a vehicle equipped with Premium TPM. These transponders are used to provide the Wireless Control Module (WCM), commonly referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM), with the location of the tire pressure sensors on the vehicle. A fourth transponder is not necessary in the remaining wheel well due to the process-of-elimination theory. Once the system knows the location of the first three sensors it assumes the location of the fourth tire pressure sensor. On this vehicle, there is a transponder located in the left front, left rear, and right rear wheelhouse. There is not a transponder located in the right front wheelhouse.

OPERATION
On vehicles equipped with the premium TPM system, the Wireless Control Module (WCM), commonly referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM), uses transponders (trigger modules) located in three of the four wheel wells on the vehicle to provide it with the location of the tire pressure sensors on the vehicle. Like the base system, the WCM receives RF signals from all four rotating wheel speed sensors. When the WCM needs to know which sensor is located at a particular location on the vehicle, it directs the transponder at that location to send out a low frequency signal to excite the nearby sensor. The WCM then receives that excited signal and knows where that sensor is located. This auto-locating process only happens in the first 10 minutes of any WCM cycle while traveling at speeds above 20 mph (32 km/h). (The auto-locating process will start again only if the vehicle has been shut off for approximately 20 minutes or longer). Once the WCM has performed this to the three locations that have transponders, it uses the process-of-elimination theory to know that the fourth sensor ID signal is coming from.

Unread 03-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
plunderisley

Do you happen to know the part number(s)?
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Free parts books are located in this sticky MK's Off-Road, TSB's, Parts Books and quick links in the 3rd post. They are considered electrical and listed in group 8 - figure 640, item 6 (second page), kit part number 68001696AA.

This kit is listed at Wyckoff for $36 each. I understand that they do ship International but you will want to check locally because of shipping. I'm pretty sure that their "Free Shipping" banner only applies to US.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.