Compass taillight and rear bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass taillight and rear bumper

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
ajadams
2007 MK Compass 

Compass taillight and rear bumper

My wife backed into a pole today and damaged the right rear taillight and the bumper. Any idea how to remove and replace these items? My dealer is checking to see if the bumper can be ordered already painted.

ajadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

TAIL LAMP REMOVAL

Fig 1.
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

2. Open the liftgate to access and remove the two push pin fasteners (5) that secure the rear lamp unit (4) to the side trough of the liftgate opening.

3. Pull the outboard side of the rear lamp unit rearward far enough to unsnap the two ball studs on the outboard side of the lamp housing from the two plastic grommets (3) in the quarter outer panel (2).

4. Pull the lamp away from the vehicle far enough to access and disconnect the three unibody wire harness connectors (1, 6 and 8) from the bulb socket connector receptacles on the back of the lamp housing.

5. Remove the lamp from the lamp opening of the quarter outer panel.

BUMPER REMOVAL

Fig 2 & 3.
1. Remove the lower fasteners (3).

2. Remove the fascia to splash shield fasteners (1).

3. Loosen the fasteners (1 and 5)

4. Remove the push pin fasteners (3) and remove the fascia (2).

REINFORCEMENT REMOVAL

Fig 3.
1. Remove rear fascia.

2. Remove seven bumper reinforcement nuts (1).

3. Remove bumper reinforcement (2).
fig1.jpg   fig2.jpg   fig3.jpg   fig4.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Jeepster55

bumper 'pre-painted'? NO! sorry......Mopar does not offer 'pre-painted' bumpers. some models DO have 'textured' fascias that come in different colors depending on the paint code of the vehicle, but 'PAINTED'? again, NO.

i'm surprised your dealer even had to check......
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
jaisunihm
2007 MK Compass 

Sorry to hear that. You will have to get the bumper painted again. I'm looking into seeing if I can also find tail lights other than from the dealer. Anyone know a place?
jaisunihm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I haven't found any sources other than the dealer right now. I sugest keeping your eye on the wrecking yards and eBay.

Here's the part numbers to look for:

Compass
05303878AA Right
05303879AA Left
05303882AA Export, Right
05303883AA Export, Left

Patriot
05116238AB Right
05116239AB Left
05116240AB Export, Right
05116241AB Export, Left

Unread 12-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
ajadams
2007 MK Compass 

My dealer quoted me $146 for the taillight. It's on order.
Any idea what the paint code for a red Compass is?

I think when I have it painted, I'll get the Compass letters done in black.
Unread 12-16-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Jeepster55

if your Compass is "Inferno Red" ( i think that's the ONLY 'red' for the MK's), your paint code is "EL" or as some say "PEL". actually, the "P" in the code only designates the primary paint code and if it were a two-tone, like alot of trucks, the secondary code would start with a "Q", such as "QX8" for Brilliant Black.

as for your tail lamp, the part numbers have changed to 5303879AB for left and 5303878AB for right. the Mopar Suggested List Price on each is ONLY $92.95. did the $146.00 your dealer quoted include the labor to install it? i sure hope so.......
Unread 12-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The paint code from my door sticker is PRH and so is the code on the touch up paint part #04889836AB and yes it does match. Inferno Red Pearl.

Unread 12-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
The paint code from my door sticker is PRH and so is the code on the touch up paint part #04889836AB and yes it does match. Inferno Red Pearl.
apparently they now use a different paint code for "Inferno Red" than a year or so ago on such cars as PT's, PL's, LH's, etc. i KNOW "Inferno Red" used to be 'EL'. interesting......you would think if it has a different paint code, they would give it a different name, or vice versa...!
Unread 12-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
ajadams
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Jeepster
as for your tail lamp, the part numbers have changed to 5303879AB for left and 5303878AB for right. the Mopar Suggested List Price on each is ONLY $92.95. did the $146.00 your dealer quoted include the labor to install it? i sure hope so.......
The dealer is going to call me back with a price for the bumper on Monday and I'll ask if the $146 was an installed price.

It is in getting the leaking sunroof fixed (leaks at both front corners) and replacing the factory accessory sunroof visor that flew off. My car also had been aparently damaged coming off of the transporter and they are putting in a new radiator, condensor, and replacing the missing plastic piece that connects to the bottom of the front bumper to protect them. They gave us a nice Chrysler Pacifica to ride in while it's being fixed.
Unread 12-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Jeepster
apparently they now use a different paint code for "Inferno Red" than a year or so ago on such cars as PT's, PL's, LH's, etc. i KNOW "Inferno Red" used to be 'EL'. interesting......you would think if it has a different paint code, they would give it a different name, or vice verse...!
Just checked the wife's '03 GC and it's PEL, maybe Inferno Red without PEARL??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajadams
The dealer is going to call me back with a price for the bumper on Monday and I'll ask if the $146 was an installed price.

It is in getting the leaking sunroof fixed (leaks at both front corners) and replacing the factory accessory sunroof visor that flew off. My car also had been apparently damaged coming off of the transporter and they are putting in a new radiator, condenser, and replacing the missing plastic piece that connects to the bottom of the front bumper to protect them. They gave us a nice Chrysler Pacifica to ride in while it's being fixed.
Did they tell you about this before you bought it? It looks like they are taking good care of you. It's nice to have good dealers!

Unread 12-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
ajadams
2007 MK Compass 

Nope, they didn't tell me before I bought it. I found it when I was changing my oil. A week later the dealer sent me an invitation card to a new owner event at the dealership, after the free meal, the head of the service department gave a talk, and then the head of customer relations. They gave us Jeep hats, a coupon for a free oil change, a couple coupons for 10% off on parts, and a coupon for a free loner car.

After the event I took both of them out to my Jeep to show them the damage. They brought the Jeep in that Saturday for an inspection to see what they needed to order, and called me up to tell me they were ready to repair it the day before the wreck.

I bought it from Ron Carter in Alvin, and so far, they have been fantastic. They gave me the tow hitch, chrome pedal set, chrome gas cover, etched windows, roof bars, and a set of wind deflectors for the windows and sunroof when I bought it. The wind deflector for the sunroof came off (and disappeared), and they are replacing it for free.

I have a couple friends who own body shops, and I'll get them to paint the bumper.

51Jeepster, what's the bumper cost?
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #13
Jeepster55

A.J.

the Mopar Suggested Retail Price on your Compass rear fascia is $260.00.

also, back to the paint code issue.....upon further research, i've found that on '05 'cars' the code "PEL" is shown as Inferno Red and "PRH" is listed as BOTH Inferno Red and Blaze Red AND as Blaze Red on the trucks. Mopar is soooooo screwed up.....

and on a personal note: again, Sorry Bob!!!
Unread 12-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Like they say in the UK No worries, mate!

On the subject of color the new Go Mango is not the same as the '70's nor is the new Challenger Hemi Orange the same as the original.

Unread 12-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #15
pillzny

There's one on EBAY right now...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...spagenameZWDVW

EDIT: Just took a better look at it... does look like it needs some work

Last edited by pillzny; 12-17-2007 at 09:53 PM..
pillzny is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.