Compass Stuck in Sand - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass Stuck in Sand

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Thelt
2005 KJ Liberty 

Compass Stuck in Sand

I do not own a Compass but I looked at a Patriot pretty hard during Cash for Clunkers. Anyway, I saw one stuck in the sand the other day on the beach. I am not sure what was going on with it. The guy would floor it and it would barely rev and the wheels on twitched. He said it was some kind of snow traction control that wont let it spin. He had to get a tow truck to come get him off the beach. Anyone know what would cause that?

Thelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

Last March, I started a thread called: "I almost got stuck in the Patriot". I was high centered in a deep snow drift and I had to push in the "ESP Off" button long enough to get ESP to allow wheel spin. I don't understand this completely but ESP is a complicated electronic system where the ABS brakes prevent excess wheel spin and ESP Off in 'Full Off' position disables something on steering control when driving off road. I'll try to find that earlier thread. In general our Patriot is a lot handier in snow and ice than our 99 Cherokee 4X4 and I test both vehicles whenever we get a new dump of snow.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

Here is that original thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/i...atriot-736046/
Unread 11-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Thelt
2005 KJ Liberty 

If I had been that guy driving that Compass I would have been p*ssed. He was high centered and not going anywhere anyway but it would not even spin the tires. The front tires would twitch a little and that is all. I gave his wife a ride back to town so she could get them a tow truck.
Unread 11-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

When I almost got stuck in the deep snow I was not p*ssed just confused why the engine didn't seem to rev up and the wheels just sat there in a lame condition. I reached into the glove compartment and pulled out my owners manual and read the page about turning ESP partial off. The following is copied from another thread about Noobish question....

"ESP ON
This is the normal operating mode for ESP. Whenever the vehicle is started the ESP system will be in this mode. This mode should be used for almost all driving situations. ESP should be turned to “Partial Off” or “ESP Off” for the specific reasons as noted below.

Partial ESP
This mode is entered by momentarily depressing the “ESP Control Switch”. When in “Partial Off” mode, the TCS and ESP function normally, with the exception of engine power reduction. The “ESP/TCS Indicator Light” will be illuminated. This mode is intended to be used if the vehicle is in deep snow, sand or gravel conditions and more wheel spin than ESP would allow is required to gain traction.

To turn ESP on again, momentarily depress the “ESP Control Switch”. This will restore the “ESP ON’ mode of operation.

WARNING!
In the partial ESP mode, the engine torque reduction and stability features are desensitized. Therefore, the enhanced vehicle stability offered by ESP is unavailable.

NOTE: To improve the vehicle’s traction when driving with snow chains, or starting off in deep snow, sand or gravel, it may be desirable to switch to “Partial Off” mode by pressing the ESP switch. Once the situation requiring ESP to be switched to the “Partial Off” mode is overcome, turn ESP back on by momentarily depressing the “ESP Control Switch”. This may be done while the vehicle is in motion."
Unread 11-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
Goobersbro

yea its a lame system for offroading but it has good intention there starting to put a similar system on street bikes which may be for the better for inexperienced riders
Unread 11-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #7
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
If I had been that guy driving that Compass I would have been p*ssed.
A more productive approach would be to learn to use the vehicle you've got... Holding down the ESP OFF-button until you hear a chime is hardly rocket science. (Since you, Thelt, are not an MK owner there is no reason to assume you would know this stuff, so a quick summary: Short press toggles between ESP on and ESP partial off, where engine power is not controlled by computer but wheel spin is limited by brakes. Long press switches the whole shebang off. Short press, again, returns everything back to on.)

Of course, if the guy had tried that only to discover his Compass is one of those with that damn software bug, then he would have had the full right to be angry. But the story makes no mention of anything like that taking place. I suspect the situation is one that happens way too often - people won't even take the time to learn how to use the damn vehicle they just dumped a rather large chunk of money to get.
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

when I hold in the ESP button in my 08 Compass, there is no chime to tell me ESP is fully off. Is it different in the 08?
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
Thelt
2005 KJ Liberty 

I asked the guy if there was a button to turn it off on his dash. He said no. I looked in his window briefly but figured he knew how to work his own car. It sounds like this was more operator error than anything else. He did not air down his tires either which is crucial on the beach. There were honda CRVs and Ford Escapes out there with no problems so I doubt his issue was lack of ground clearance.

I hate to see any Jeep stuck......
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I get a chime when holding the ESP button for more than 10 seconds and the speedometer displays ESPOFF and the ESP indicator symbol on the dash stays lit. When I press the button just momentarily only the indicator lights up; no chime and no message. Some Compass owners thought there was a bug in the software and had to have the dealer reprogram it.

ESP 4WD Operating Modes
In addition to ESP ON and Partial ESP, all 4WD equipped vehicles can also choose the following ESP operating mode:

ESP OFF

This mode is intended for off-highway or off-road use when ESP stability features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions. This mode is entered by depressing and holding the “ESP Control Switch” for 5 seconds when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is running. After 5 seconds, the ESP/TCS Indicator Light will illuminate and the “ESP OFF” message will appear in the odometer. Press and release the trip odometer button located in the instrument cluster to clear the message.

In this mode, ESP and TCS, except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section, are turned off until the vehicle reaches a speed of 35 mph (56km/h). At 35 mph the normal ESP stability function returns with the exception of engine power reduction. TCS remains off. When the vehicle speed drops below 30 mph (48 km/h) the ESP system shuts off. ESP is off at low vehicle speeds so that it will not interfere with off-road driving but ESP function returns to provide the stability feature at speeds above 35 mph. The “ESP/TCS Indicator Light” will always be illuminated when ESP is off.

To turn ESP on again, momentarily depress the “ESP Control Switch”. This will restore the normal “ESP ON” mode of operation.

WARNING!
With ESP switched off, the enhanced vehicle stability offered by ESP is unavailable. In an emergency evasive maneuver, the ESP system will not engage to assist in maintaining stability. “ESP OFF” mode is intended for off-highway or off-road use only.

NOTE:
The ESP Control System will make a buzzing or clicking sound when it is active. This is normal; the sounds will stop when ESP becomes inactive following the maneuver that caused ESP to activate.

Last edited by miketmx; 11-09-2009 at 02:37 PM..
Unread 11-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

This is all news to me! My '07 Compass' ESP has just on and off. Haven't got stuck yet in mud or sand.

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
fortuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 02:44 AM   #12
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
when I hold in the ESP button in my 08 Compass, there is no chime to tell me ESP is fully off. Is it different in the 08?
If you have a four wheel drive Compass, you should get the ESP off message. Do note that while the manual claims you must press the button for five seconds, in reality this is closer to ten. Some people get impatient and stop keeping the button pressed too soon... Just keep it pressed until you get a chime. (For vehicles with the automatic transmission, I recommend putting it in park during testing. I've been able to switch ESP fully off even when moving, but not always. Putting it in park is a sure-fire way to test it.)

If you fail to get a chime and the "ESPOFF" message in your dash, you have a software bug. Your dealership should be able to do an upgrade for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
It sounds like this was more operator error than anything else.
Based on what you said, I concur. (I personally find the ESP OFF button quite easy to see so sounds to me like the guy never even tried to learn his vehicle.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortuneer View Post
This is all news to me! My '07 Compass' ESP has just on and off. Haven't got stuck yet in mud or sand.
Umm... To the best of my knowledge, there are no such vehicles. All MK Jeeps have ESP on and ESP partially off. Four-wheel drive vehicles have, in addition to those two, ESP fully off. So... Are you absolutely sure?
Unread 11-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
Beware
2007 MK Compass 

I didn't know this...... Guess u can always learn something new......

After reading this thread, I went out to try this immediately:

Press and hold the ESP switch while travelling on the freeway... It won't work. (ESP light on when I press and hold but the ESP light went off after some time while still holding on to the switch)

Press and hold the ESP button while vehicle stationary... IT WORKED! (ESP light on when I press the switch and after holding on for some time, ESPOFF message appeared too)

Finally solved! I'm having issues with cornering on the compass all this while, always unsettling the vehicle...
I was thinking it might be due to the high ground clearance since I tried "turning off" the ESP... but didn't know it was only partially off...

Now I can truly feel the tires and the road... without the ESP
You guys should go try it out, you'll be able to corner and feel the traction limits of your tires better...
Beware is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

More info:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/n...system-423860/

and

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/h...-works-512380/

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
345jeep
2008 WK 

Had the guy let air out of his tires ? Most folks stuck on the beach with 4WD have too much air in the tires. 15 PSI is the magic number when the going gets tough in soft sand.
345jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.