Compass in the snow (2006-07) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass in the snow (2006-07)

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-15-2007, 10:28 AM   #46
Mistyfate

I can totally relate! Yesterday we (NJ/NY) were hit with a nasty ice/snow storm - which accumulated quite a bit (the state didn't anticipate the accumulation and did not send out plows for quite a while)

So I wanted to see how the Compass handled and I was driving through the snow on the side streets with ease! and towards the night...after my family finished clearing the driveways (mine and my grandmothers - she lives next door) the plows finally came out and the last three feet of the driveway was deep under snow - and when I went out yesterday night I got through with no problem.

My old car (Ford Focus) would not have been able to do that with any ease...I would have had to rock it back and forth...and there would still be a chance of getting stuck.

Mistyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #47
Jgrillz

Yesterday i finally had the chance to try out the compass in the snow and was it fun. My car was parked during 2 days of heavy snowfall and the snow built up halfway up the tires. My friend took a half hour to shovel his bmw 3 series sedan out of the same parking lot, while it took me ~10 seconds to start up the compass and drive away (after scraping the ice off the windshield of course).

I was proud
Jgrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #48
BuzzDog

Took my Compass on a one-day business trip for the first time today, and covered 180 miles with light snow, small patches of ice and temperature ranging from 12F to 20F. I left around 6:00 am and arrived home around 7:00 pm

In a word, the Compass was AMAZING. On a couple of occasions this morning, I had to accelerate from stoplights where the intersections were covered in packed snow and ice. The traction control light flashed a few times and that was all. On the road, it was sure footed and stable.

Best part is that I averaged 25.5 mpg. Here's the real kicker, however: I have FWD...NOT AWD!!! Like phil8400, I couldn't find one with AWD when I needed it. However, it rarely snows as much as it has this winter, and I after this experience I hardly think I'll ever regret "only" having FWD with ESP.

Last edited by BuzzDog; 02-17-2007 at 07:26 PM..
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #49
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Storm report

The biggest storm of the season started with a Wintry mix the 1st night/day and then we got dumped on with 7” the 2nd night and another 5” the next morning, ending up with 30-40 mph winds and so much blowing and drifting snow that the county shut down their snow equipment and called the roads impassable.

This 1st shot doesn’t look like much but, it was actually the worst driving condition so far. It was snow and freezing rain over a bed of ice and slush, the 1st 5 miles I was hydroplaning at anything over 25mph. I’d much rather have 6”-10” of snow!

The 2nd shot is the main road going north. 3rd is the over night snow fall, 4 and 5 are just some nice shots on my “back road” route. I had hopped to go out and play in it but, by the time that I had finished shoveling the plows had gone threw.

The Compass handled it all in stride this winter in AWD with just about every kind of different snow conditions that I expect to encounter. I wouldn’t hesitate to take her threw a 8”-12” drifts, packed snow or pretty much anything else. We saw a little bit of everything!
esnow-001.jpg   esnow-008.jpg   enew-015.jpg   esnow-009.jpg   esnow-011.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick

Last edited by Gramps; 03-04-2007 at 07:13 AM..
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #50
1999WJMIKE

Do you think one of those compasses could make it in a "real" canadian winter...we are looking for a vehicle for my grandma but all the other Jeeps are too high they seem lower plus is small but the pics you guys are showing me of your compass in snow isnt anyhting like here. I really want something safe for the old bird.

we finally got some nice weather and yes this is nice note the sun is out
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

HERS - 1996 XJ Sport 4.0 HO. Stock. Purple like her...uh...soul.

Canadian Jeep Club Member#37
1999WJMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #51
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Mike,

Our stuff was spotty this year and I didn't have the camera with me all of the time. Personally, I don't think that she would have a problem with what I see in your pictures. You certainly had more total accumulation but running on packed snow is nothing for the Compass. I was more concerned with the fresh and drifted stuff. I had some pretty deep (8" +/_) , loooong drifts that were really no problem at all. These were NOT the short drifts that you slam in to and hope that momentum will carry you through, you have to drive through them. My first 8 miles in the morning is the last place that the snow plows go through. It's open farm land, no snow fences, and drifts very heavily. We could be shy on some of the pictures because many can't post them yet or maybe no camera. Maybe some of our friends up there in Canada can give you more feedback.

Oh it's quite a pleasure to drive in the snow, I prefer it over the wife's GC, maybe because of the traction controls, maybe because it's less bulk to try and control in the first place. Whatever on that, it's personal. The AWD, ESP, etc was really great. No white knuckle feelings at all. The only time that she would need to lock in the 4WD is if she's starting out with it sitting in about 4" or so. Otherwise she can just leave it in AWD and just drive and feel very secure with it.

Last edited by Gramps; 03-10-2007 at 07:38 AM..
Unread 03-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #52
hotch39

just fine in the ice/snow

Got to try out the 4WD when I drove it home from work Friday night in the midst of the snow and ice storm we got in the NE, and it handled beautifully on both highway and city roads. Was going 30 mph on the highway a couple of hundred feet behind another car (Jeep Liberty), had a few other cars pass me so I took it up to 40 and kept it there.

On the city roads, behind my building there's a small hill leading to the back entrance that I normally avoid in that type of weather, but the Compass went up it like it was nothing.

Of course, this isn't an endorsement to go hog wild. The way a car handles in the snow is as dependent upon the driver as it is on the vehicle - but I think most Jeep owners already know that.
hotch39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #53
x96mnn
2008 KK Liberty 

I have had no issues with the Canadian winter in my Compass in Nova Scotia.

Have been through about a foot of fresh fallen snow and about a half foot of wet snow with no issues.

Used to experience the back end kicking out in my last SUV but have not had that happen with the compass. Have tested it once or twice pulling out and giving more gas then needed, electronic control light flashed and I went in the direction I wanted to go.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #54
ponderosa
2007 MK Compass 

Very good on the road - drive out of ditch? No.

The winter here in Michigan came late. My Compass was great on snow and ice covered roads. It also went through a field with a foot of snow on it.

I did a test to see if it would drive out of a ditch. Going uphill very slow at an angle into about a foot of hard snow that was slippery if failed. The tires just could not get a grip on the snow, just spun. Limited 4 x 4 with lock mode on.

Next year I'll get some snow tires with tread for really digging it. Well maybe I'll just stay out of ditches!!! John
ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 09:33 AM   #55
kwc
2007 MK Compass 

no trouble at all with our winter snows ... the Valentine's Day storm dropped over 30 inches of snow on our area and I made it home on unplowed roads without a hitch. in fact I had to zip around a Saturn Vue that was having all kinds of trouble getting up our street (I live on a hill). I have the 215/65x17 tires (the raised white letter optional tires), Goodyear Wranger SRA.

no problems with yesterday's heavy wet snow that we received here (sloppy sloppy sloppy) ... roads were slick under the snow but the Compass got around just fine.

We have a Compass Sport, 4x4, CVT

kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #56
karigador

Just wanted to add my two cents in. I've got a Compass Sport 4x4 CVT, had a 97 Grand if that helps put my thoughts into perspective . I'm in northern Maine (look at Maine, I'm in the north east portion) and we're relatively famous for our rough winters.

Got my compass in late November so she's been through almost an entire winter here (they start in late october, and we still have snow on April 20th) and I've been very happy with it's handling during our two ice storms and several heavy snow events, in fact I haven't had to use the 4x4 lock mode yet I've just tested it for fun. The awd on the compass handled glare ice roads very well, very little slippage if any on hills tight corners etc. certainly no more than the 97 Grand.

I've also noticed that the compass handles those high wind / snow drift days excellently, there's fewer square edges for the wind to grab so I actually get pushed around by the wind far less on my compass then on the grand and she plows through a high drift with the same confidence as any Jeep I've driven.

I really don't understand the bad reviews the vehicle has received, and most people won't need the 'trail rated' distinction, don't know about you but I haven't needed to drive over and trees or through a river lately, closest thing I've had was a mud "puddle" up to the front bumper and the compass didn't complain any.

All in all a very good vehicle for most anything you'd need it to do, and probably a bit more than that. The compass fits in well with our jeep family: 2002 and 97 Grands and 92 Wrangler. I'll give you all an update as we transition into mud season up here if you'd like.
karigador is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #57
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Something different to post in late Spring but I found these "spy shots" of the euro Compass today.
001-188.jpg   002-180.jpg   003-183.jpg   004-183.jpg  

Unread 06-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #58
madrabbitt

1. doesnt look like the euro one, since its got a US sized plate holder on the rear.
2. looks like led front turns signals.

got bigger versions?

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #59
creature
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Something different to post in late Spring but I found these "spy shots" of the euro Compass today.

I want to say I saw those pics posted in GD before the compass was officially unveiled.
Unread 06-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #60
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

They just just seemed to be "refreshing" now that it's getting hot and humid. I can imagine that many of our new people won't go into the GD that far back to see them amid all of the flaming. The site that they came from was .ru (Russia). I think the turn signals look that way because of the "spy bra". maybe not.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.