Compass in the snow (2006-07) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass in the snow (2006-07)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-30-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
SpeedRhysr

Compass in the snow (2006-07)

Tonight we are supposed to get almost a foot of snow in my area. Usually every year that never bothered me because I always had my trusty 96 Grand Cherokee and it always did great in the snow. I am little worried this year because I haven't had a chance to drive the Compass in the snow. Has anyone had used the 4 wheel drive yet in deep snow?

SpeedRhysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 06:38 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

SpeedRhysr,

We were supposed to get it last night but instead we had a LOT of patchy ice. AWD did fine in that. We had a few inches a couple of weeks ago where I used the 4WD mode and even tho others were sliding around and one in a ditch the Compass did fine. We're expecting the same storm up here tonight that you're getting but they say only 2 - 4 inches for us. Let us know how it goes for you.

Gramps
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
phil8400

Let us know ...be careful. The first snow storms of the year usually bring with them many drivers who forget to take it slow. Ironically, many SUV drivers tend to forget that AWD or 4x4 does not help one stop.

Unfortunately I won't be testing the AWD since I got the FWD model (I was stretched to the $ limit). However, with the traction control, ABS and ground clearance, I should be better off than in my ground hugging Hyundai Tiburon.
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

well here in kodiak we got about a foot last week. the compass did just fine. roads here are not plowed the best so theres always snow and ice on em. alot of people run studded tires here cause of that. however im glad to say that the car handles great even with out studded tires much much better than her old suzuki aireo.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 06:06 AM   #5
snikr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07compasssport
well here in kodiak we got about a foot last week. the compass did just fine. roads here are not plowed the best so theres always snow and ice on em. alot of people run studded tires here cause of that. however im glad to say that the car handles great even with out studded tires much much better than her old suzuki aireo.
Did you run the Compass with the 4 x 4 locked or just run it unlocked (the AWD part)?

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
TimeTraveler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Winter hit hard here in Alberta -40 and plenty of blown in snow, drifts up to two feet. Now I don't have the Compass but the AWD Caliber.. No problem in drifts and icy streets, Starts or Stops. I even used it as a plow to make way for my Wife's Neon. I think the lock feature would have been great, but at this time, I have not needed it. It warmed up here today, and we have a foot of slush now, less traction, but still keeps on going. If I had the Compass, I would have tested it though our ditch on the acreage to see how well it works.

GEO
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

We only got 2 - 4 inches where I am south of Madison. Very little traffic on the back roads and no snow plows, I just left it in AWD and had no problems at all. Madison actually got less snow than where I live and the radio said that there were lots of slide-offs and fender benders. The only bad part is when the snow is blowing straight at you at about 25 mph...you can't see crap, but the Compass maintained itself beautifully! Took off great, cornered without sliding, stopped when you wanted, nothing unexpected, just great road manners in this kind of stuff.

Gramps
Unread 12-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #8
snikr

Thanks for the replies Gramps and TimeTraveler. This is the info I need to make the wife rest easy driving the Compass. And TT, we looked at a Caliber. No dealers near by had a R/T AWD when the time came to buy. But I'm glad we got the Compass as it had a couple of things that would have been extra on the Caliber.

Tom

Unread 12-01-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Frankly (don't tell the wife), I'm more comfortable driving my Compass in the snow than Her GC. Why? Less mass to get going, less mass to get around the corners, and less mass to stop. The tire design for this size Jeep is a great match for traction and I also don't get blown around by the wind as much because of the little lower profile. Your opinions may very....

Gramps
Unread 12-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikr
Did you run the Compass with the 4 x 4 locked or just run it unlocked (the AWD part)?

Tom
most of the time ran it unlocked. there were a couple times where i had locked it, however i believe the compass could have made it thru with out a problem. its a great little suv.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
Kev M
2012 WK 

Great reports on snow handling guys!!!

Very encouraging!

K
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #12
TimeTraveler
2014 JK Wrangler 

There's this barn in town that is going to be torn down, so I wanted a picture of it. So I exited off the road, through a show covered ditch. The ditch is your standard drainage ditch, more 4x4 style, but nothing too special. With forward motion, I made it trough. The point is, some wheels were not touching the ground at the angle of decent or accent. Slippage occurred, which made me wonder how far I'll make it. Traction was still made with the other two wheels and the ground clearance and positioning of the wheelbase on the car made it "seem" easy. Yes, the Compass and Caliber are not 4x4 on a large scale, but the designers were thinking with the ground clearance and the accent and decent angles for these vehicles. This was not my intent when purchasing the Cali, but I'm exploring some of the perks.

GEO
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTraveler
There's this barn in town that is going to be torn down, so I wanted a picture of it. So I exited off the road, through a show covered ditch. The ditch is your standard drainage ditch, more 4x4 style, but nothing too special. With forward motion, I made it trough. The point is, some wheels were not touching the ground at the angle of decent or accent. Slippage occurred, which made me wonder how far I'll make it. Traction was still made with the other two wheels and the ground clearance and positioning of the wheelbase on the car made it "seem" easy. Yes, the Compass and Caliber are not 4x4 on a large scale, but the designers were thinking with the ground clearance and the accent and decent angles for these vehicles. This was not my intent when purchasing the Cali, but I'm exploring some of the perks.

GEO
Way to go Keep us updated on your exploits!

Gramps

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Unread 12-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #14
snikr

In the snow

Finally got to try out the new Compass in the snow and SLOP. The Jeep is great. I didn't push it too much but it handled everything I threw at it. It sure is a MESS now but I'll have to get used to that as the winters here in Vermont don't allow much time to have a clean vehicle.

Unread 12-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #15
phil8400

Anyone from Colorado? This would be a good time to test this.
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.