Compass in the shop for ETC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass in the shop for ETC

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 01-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Nabis
2004 WJ 

Compass in the shop for ETC

I'm on the way to Michigan from Minnesota last night (~700 miles), and at a routine stop on the expressway for fuel, I get to the light off of the off-ramp, and my dash goes crazy with warning lamps. ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) sensor (the "lightning-bolt"), and the ESP (Electronic Stability Program) lights start flashing at me. The jeep starts bucking, brakes are about at half power, and steering is heavy. I make it to the fuel pump, and shut the car down. Fuel it up, and start it back up - It drives completely normal with no warning lamps. Nothing until I finally make it to my destination exit, and the same thing happens. This time I limp it to the driveway, and park it for the night. This morning took it into the Jeep dealership, and explain the problem. I haven't received a call back from them, but researching this problem, it seems like the Wrangler guys have it the worst with these ETC problems. Some say that their car is in the shop for WEEKS!... and some of the time, it seems as if the service dept never really fixes the problem. I hope that isn't the case with my Compass, but I still wanted to see if anybody has had a similar problem with their Compass/Patriot. I'll keep this thread posted with anything that I hear from the dealership.

Nabis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It sounds like you’re having problems with the Powertrain Control Module and it may need to be flashed. Just guessing with the help of these related TSB’s

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/...er_1803407.pdf

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/...r_1801807a.pdf

You can browse all of the TSB’s here, somewhere in this batch is something about seating a fuse that is unseated for shipping and may not be inserted correctly that may also be the cause.

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/...light=bulletin

Please keep us updated.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
merlinTec

Hi
Can you try and get the list of the codes it flags up so we could be more help and will be more help to others.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 01-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Nabis
2004 WJ 

Dealership called - They are replacing the entire throttle body. I didn't ask any questions beyond, "when will it be done", so I don't have any more information than that. I'll see if I can get a list of any codes it logged from the dealership when I pick it up. If anybody else has any questions that they would like me to ask when I pick it up, feel free to jot them down here.
I was going to bet that it was something with the PCM, and something went haywire in the extreme cold of Minnesota (It was about -18F each morning) - Guess I was wrong.
Unread 01-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I've been down to -22 with a wind chill of about -45. No problems I'm happy to say!!

Unread 01-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
Nabis
2004 WJ 

The Diagnostic stored a High Air Flow Vac Leak, therefore they deducted that it must be a sticking throttlebody, which they replaced.
I'm convinced that leaving the throttle open in subzero temperatures for hours on end is what caused it to stick, if that is in fact the issue - So I'm not too sure that the throttlebody that was replaced had anything "wrong" with it. The front of the jeep was also coated in about a half inch of ice.
Hopefully, I won't run into this again.
Unread 01-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Sounds pretty nasty! I guess if my doors can freeze shut so can your throttle body. Hope that all goes well from here on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.