Compass rim size - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass rim size

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 12-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
jojoneveu

Compass rim size

Hey everyone I'm new to the site and have a query for you compass buffs out there... I saw a posting under compass owner pics with a guy from Australia that has 22's on his compass with 265/35/22r tires...... I really want to put 22s on mine for xmas but im scared that if i order them they may not fit or may rub.... the dimensions of the rim are 22x 9.5. Please help me... and thanks in advance! I will upload pics of my compass very soon!

JoJo

jojoneveu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Jeepster55

well, you have alot to factor in as to what rims will fit and what ones don't. 22X9.5 is only the diameter (22") and rim width (9.5"). you also have to consider 'offset', which is the distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the inner edge. too much and your tires will rub the inner wheelhouse or quarter panel. too little, and you may have a problem with the front wheels when turning left or right.

i would start by contacting a local tire/wheel retailer and see what they recommend. if they haven't 'done' a Compass, then i would contact the Compass owner that has the 22's on his Jeep and ask for specifics. of course, TIRE size will play into this also.

on my '06 Wrangler Unlimited, i put 32's on it with NO suspension mods whatsoever!!! it's just all in the size of the tires, dimensions of the wheels and the competentcy of your installer......GOOD LUCK! (post pics when you're done, OK? )
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
pillzny

I looked into getting 22s. Every shop I asked made efforts to deter me from getting 22s. They said the only way would be with a thinner tire with still a chance of rubbing. I was going to chance it but living in NY with these crators in the road, i stuck with 20s wrapped in a 40s. As carefull as I am, I've hit them and am happy with my choice. If I lived in another state, I would of went with 22s though
pillzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
jojoneveu

Thanks for the quick responses! THe rims I want are Verde avatar 22x9.5... i can't find the offset anywhere... The guy from austrailia sent me back this...

(Hi JoJo,

Thanks for the postive comments.
My rims are 22 x 8.5 wide
I couldn't go any wider as i would get tyre scrub on the plastic inner tyre well.
BUT... with 8.5 wide rims they still scrub a TINY bit on full lock. To me this wasn't a problem because as soon as it scrubs i just pulled back a bit and i barely go full lock anyway. I'm getting the problem fixed soon as you can cut away bits of plastic on the inner guard where it rubs. My car has not been lowered or anythign and cannot be lowered as you will definitely get tyre scrub unless you get 20 inch rims.
That's pretty much all i can say on this topic!!!
Let me know how you go.

Cheers
Chris)

He has verde 22x 8.5 with 265 35 22R tires... What does he mean by full lock?? I am thinking the 9.5 will be too wide?? Hmm Im really lost here. I think i may have to go with the Verde Avatar 20x 8.5 with a 40 tire... What do yall think?? Thanks so much!
jojoneveu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

"Full lock" just means turning the steering wheel all the way left or right.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.