Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Compass Reviews - solutions to common Compass "problems"

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  15CompassInRoc 
#1 ·
I was reading some reviews on msn autos, and thought some of them were absolutely hilarious. What it did though, is it taught me some interesting things about consumer opinion.

So heres my main Point of Discussion: With the major flaws such as terrible interior, An embarassing non-offroading capability, and poor dog barriers, Should the compass line be dropped by jeep? I was hoping maybe we could come up with a Solid list of Compass Positives and Negatives, and start seeking out some solutions for some of the negatives (or "perceved negatives"). Feel free to post up links to topics that already have answered some of these items of interest.

Heres some of the reviews I was amused by:

"Pros:
Rides nicely. Good price. Looks sharp.

Cons:
Unable to reach fallen objects between seat and console.
Dog barrier (net-type) is useless. Dog jumps over it!

Overall Review:
I am sorry I bought this car."

(Tough life. Note to self- Car owners not interested in look, price, or ride quality. Just interested in dog barrier and fallen object removal system standard.)

"Cons:
That the car didn't come with a Compass- Hello?!"

(Possibly the best complaint ever... wheres our compasses jeep???)

"May still look to trade the car in. I feel the base model should at least have standard power locks. The car I bought was the only one the dealer had and I should have waited. i may have to sway from owning a jeep after this. I'm sure the more expensive models are better, but that's just it...they are more expensive. At $21,800, this car should have been better equipped in my opinion. On a better note, it has saved me some money on gas. It is much cheaper in that aspect than my liberty was."

(From someone who owns another jeep... how is this overpriced?)

There are also tons of people complaining because it "doesn't have cruise control". So... why don't you buy it? In the words of a good friend of mine, "Don't complain about it just because you chose it"

Oh yeah, I know this is beating a dead horse, but these kind of things drive me nuts. For the "expert review", the big two negatives:

# Not as rugged as other Jeeps
# Manual windows and locks for base trim level

Heres the problem- its not supposed to be as rugged as other jeeps. Do people fail to ever look at the intent of them? I don't look at hondas SUV and say "it sucks- it doesnt get as good of gas mileage as the civic"? Sounds ludicrous in that sense.

These are quoted in the same review:
"It's not that you can't take the Compass off-road. It just that it's not built to be taken too far off-road."

"The Compass is one of those vehicles that pretty much sells itself when potential customers take it for a spin from a dealership because it's easy to maneuver and fun to drive. The steering system puts the Compass right where you want it, the ride is supple and handling and braking are good."

Manual windows and locks- ever think some people don't feel it's WORTH it to pay extra for them? It DOES cost the manufacturer money. The base price could be 16,800 with power locks and power windows, and the reviews would improve- but then it adds 1000 bucks to those who don't want it (example- if I buy the patriot later this year, which i'm considering, I don't want power windows and locks, or A/C....)

Theres my rant. Each of us has to get in it sometime... haha ;)

Side note, Me and the wife, are we the only two that LIKE the interior?

On with the +, -, and solutions!

See less See more
#2 ·
It seems that the "reviewers" love to compare the Compass to things it was never intended to be, and then point out the perceived faults.

I do feel for the fellow above... It sounds as though he bought a base model for $21,800, if true they are still laughing about that one at the dealership.

I guess I'm in the "odd" boat with you... I think the interior is just dandy, cleans up with a damp cloth. I did get a kick out of one reviewer I saw that hated the Compass interior but liked the Patriots...

#4 ·
Well i'm another one in favour of the compass interior, and everything else about it. I'm a family man with two young children. The interior is "perfect" for our lifestyle. Mostly suburban/city driving, with camping trips (offroad, beach, etc), whenever we get a chance.

For the Australian market anyhow, this is by far the best value for money in the crossover vehicle arena. Especially with the Turbo Diesel, fuel prices in Australia are shocking.

I find most of the people with negative comments on the compass, are those who love serious off road driving, and are familiar with Jeep providing a trail rated vehicle. Well that's fine, this vehicle is for those of us not in that category, and it suits my needs 100%

#6 ·
unibus said:
It seems that the "reviewers" love to compare the Compass to things it was never intended to be, and then point out the perceived faults.

I do feel for the fellow above... It sounds as though he bought a base model for $21,800, if true they are still laughing about that one at the dealership.

I guess I'm in the "odd" boat with you... I think the interior is just dandy, cleans up with a damp cloth. I did get a kick out of one reviewer I saw that hated the Compass interior but liked the Patriots...
The dealer I bought my car from said that The jeep patriot was the next step up from the compass in the jeep lineup. I asked him why the patriot was cheaper then, and he said "thats just the base price- it doesn't mean anything". He then tried to tell me the patriot had a stronger drive train with a stronger engine, and that the compass was just a redesigned caliber... :rofl:

#7 ·
eighteenwheeler said:
The dealer I bought my car from said that The jeep patriot was the next step up from the compass in the jeep lineup. I asked him why the patriot was cheaper then, and he said "thats just the base price- it doesn't mean anything". He then tried to tell me the patriot had a stronger drive train with a stronger engine, and that the compass was just a redesigned caliber... :rofl:
Kinda makes you sick doesn't it? Jeep sales staff know less about what they are selling that the consumers. Those sales people in my area are touting the Compass as the Caliber's big brother and the Patriot as the "little" Commander. They don't even know enough about their own products to market them. :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Gramps said:
Kinda makes you sick doesn't it? Jeep sales staff know less about what they are selling that the consumers. Those sales people in my area are touting the Compass as the Caliber's big brother and the Patriot as the "little" Commander. They don't even know enough about their own products to market them. :rolleyes:
I ordered my Patriot back in February. I knew 100x more about the vehicle than the Salesman did. He had to keep calling DC to get info. It also didn't help that the Jeep Website was listing wrong info about the vehicle.

Good thing I knew exactly what I wanted when I ordered it.

I agree with people who complain about the "cheap" interior. FWIW, it is a cheap car, bBut I don't feel the interior is really that far below the interior of the BMW we got the Patriot to replace. Plastic is plastic so long as it isn't reynolds wrap.

#10 ·
When I purchased my Jeep Compass last week the guy didn't know much about it, i am new to it as it is my first Jeep but am familiar as my sister has one. When trying to read the manual its like they group them all together.

The salesman told me not to use the 4 wheel lock button by the cop holder unless i get stuck..... soooo he told me that the truck is suppose to detect when it needs to put the 4x4 on was he full of it?

Also why are there 2 lights for 4 wheel drive on the dash? there is the one on the tacomitor when you enable it when the lock and then there is a totally different one when you turn the truck on. Im familiar with 4x4 as I had it in my Ranger and I had a switch that I could go 4x2, then 4x4 low an 4x4 high. So with this truck if it is suppose to turn the 4x4 on by itself as the sales rep says how come i never see either 4W light come on for it. It seems on to be, but then that could be that ive never experiance a car being able to detect when it needs to turn the 4x4 on. was the sales rep full or wind?? lol.

its snowing real bad up here at the moment and on the way home i used the 4 wheel lock to have it on while i was driving am i not suppose to be doing that? because i have no other way to know if it actually is enabled.

in regards to the interior i dont care for the dash its like a huge plastic lump to bang knee caps on lol but other than that I love it. Trying to get use to ABS actually work too.

Note to self as per this tread do not do any off roading in this thing.

Also anone have issue finding proper car seat covers? my truch has 2 head rests in the back and in the images when i go to find some to buy it shows there is 3. Im trying to get a complete set front and back as its leather interior and I have Husky and dont want her to tear it to shreds.

Thanks for the info!!
Shawna

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.