Compass Reviews - solutions to common Compass "problems" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass Reviews - solutions to common Compass "problems"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-07-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
eighteenwheeler

Compass Reviews - solutions to common Compass "problems"

I was reading some reviews on msn autos, and thought some of them were absolutely hilarious. What it did though, is it taught me some interesting things about consumer opinion.

So heres my main Point of Discussion: With the major flaws such as terrible interior, An embarassing non-offroading capability, and poor dog barriers, Should the compass line be dropped by jeep? I was hoping maybe we could come up with a Solid list of Compass Positives and Negatives, and start seeking out some solutions for some of the negatives (or "perceved negatives"). Feel free to post up links to topics that already have answered some of these items of interest.

Heres some of the reviews I was amused by:

"Pros:
Rides nicely. Good price. Looks sharp.

Cons:
Unable to reach fallen objects between seat and console.
Dog barrier (net-type) is useless. Dog jumps over it!

Overall Review:
I am sorry I bought this car."

(Tough life. Note to self- Car owners not interested in look, price, or ride quality. Just interested in dog barrier and fallen object removal system standard.)

"Cons:
That the car didn't come with a Compass- Hello?!"

(Possibly the best complaint ever... wheres our compasses jeep???)

"May still look to trade the car in. I feel the base model should at least have standard power locks. The car I bought was the only one the dealer had and I should have waited. i may have to sway from owning a jeep after this. I'm sure the more expensive models are better, but that's just it...they are more expensive. At $21,800, this car should have been better equipped in my opinion. On a better note, it has saved me some money on gas. It is much cheaper in that aspect than my liberty was."

(From someone who owns another jeep... how is this overpriced?)

There are also tons of people complaining because it "doesn't have cruise control". So... why don't you buy it? In the words of a good friend of mine, "Don't complain about it just because you chose it"

Oh yeah, I know this is beating a dead horse, but these kind of things drive me nuts. For the "expert review", the big two negatives:

# Not as rugged as other Jeeps
# Manual windows and locks for base trim level

Heres the problem- its not supposed to be as rugged as other jeeps. Do people fail to ever look at the intent of them? I don't look at hondas SUV and say "it sucks- it doesnt get as good of gas mileage as the civic"? Sounds ludicrous in that sense.

These are quoted in the same review:
"It's not that you can't take the Compass off-road. It just that it's not built to be taken too far off-road."

"The Compass is one of those vehicles that pretty much sells itself when potential customers take it for a spin from a dealership because it's easy to maneuver and fun to drive. The steering system puts the Compass right where you want it, the ride is supple and handling and braking are good."

Manual windows and locks- ever think some people don't feel it's WORTH it to pay extra for them? It DOES cost the manufacturer money. The base price could be 16,800 with power locks and power windows, and the reviews would improve- but then it adds 1000 bucks to those who don't want it (example- if I buy the patriot later this year, which i'm considering, I don't want power windows and locks, or A/C....)

Theres my rant. Each of us has to get in it sometime... haha

Side note, Me and the wife, are we the only two that LIKE the interior?

On with the +, -, and solutions!

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 6 cyl auto
eighteenwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

It seems that the "reviewers" love to compare the Compass to things it was never intended to be, and then point out the perceived faults.

I do feel for the fellow above... It sounds as though he bought a base model for $21,800, if true they are still laughing about that one at the dealership.

I guess I'm in the "odd" boat with you... I think the interior is just dandy, cleans up with a damp cloth. I did get a kick out of one reviewer I saw that hated the Compass interior but liked the Patriots...
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

i actually like the interior also the grey and steel blue go great together too, after all it is a jeep/suv not a $50,000 luxury vehicle.....
echocat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well i'm another one in favour of the compass interior, and everything else about it. I'm a family man with two young children. The interior is "perfect" for our lifestyle. Mostly suburban/city driving, with camping trips (offroad, beach, etc), whenever we get a chance.

For the Australian market anyhow, this is by far the best value for money in the crossover vehicle arena. Especially with the Turbo Diesel, fuel prices in Australia are shocking.

I find most of the people with negative comments on the compass, are those who love serious off road driving, and are familiar with Jeep providing a trail rated vehicle. Well that's fine, this vehicle is for those of us not in that category, and it suits my needs 100%
mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
BuzzDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdls4
For the Australian market anyhow, this is by far the best value for money in the crossover vehicle arena.
If you haven't done so already, could you please post some photos of your Comapss? I'd like to see a RHD interior, as well as some shots under the bonnet.
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
eighteenwheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibus
It seems that the "reviewers" love to compare the Compass to things it was never intended to be, and then point out the perceived faults.

I do feel for the fellow above... It sounds as though he bought a base model for $21,800, if true they are still laughing about that one at the dealership.

I guess I'm in the "odd" boat with you... I think the interior is just dandy, cleans up with a damp cloth. I did get a kick out of one reviewer I saw that hated the Compass interior but liked the Patriots...

The dealer I bought my car from said that The jeep patriot was the next step up from the compass in the jeep lineup. I asked him why the patriot was cheaper then, and he said "thats just the base price- it doesn't mean anything". He then tried to tell me the patriot had a stronger drive train with a stronger engine, and that the compass was just a redesigned caliber...
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 6 cyl auto
eighteenwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenwheeler
The dealer I bought my car from said that The jeep patriot was the next step up from the compass in the jeep lineup. I asked him why the patriot was cheaper then, and he said "thats just the base price- it doesn't mean anything". He then tried to tell me the patriot had a stronger drive train with a stronger engine, and that the compass was just a redesigned caliber...
Kinda makes you sick doesn't it? Jeep sales staff know less about what they are selling that the consumers. Those sales people in my area are touting the Compass as the Caliber's big brother and the Patriot as the "little" Commander. They don't even know enough about their own products to market them.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
Rictus58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Kinda makes you sick doesn't it? Jeep sales staff know less about what they are selling that the consumers. Those sales people in my area are touting the Compass as the Caliber's big brother and the Patriot as the "little" Commander. They don't even know enough about their own products to market them.
I ordered my Patriot back in February. I knew 100x more about the vehicle than the Salesman did. He had to keep calling DC to get info. It also didn't help that the Jeep Website was listing wrong info about the vehicle.

Good thing I knew exactly what I wanted when I ordered it.

I agree with people who complain about the "cheap" interior. FWIW, it is a cheap car, bBut I don't feel the interior is really that far below the interior of the BMW we got the Patriot to replace. Plastic is plastic so long as it isn't reynolds wrap.
Rictus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDog
If you haven't done so already, could you please post some photos of your Comapss? I'd like to see a RHD interior, as well as some shots under the bonnet.
Sure, here are links to some pics I took just today:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...lg/MK_CRD1.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...lg/MK_CRD2.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...lg/MK_CRD3.jpg
mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.