JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Compass rear camber (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/compass-rear-camber-1433400/)

greenmohawk 10-31-2012 10:14 AM

Compass rear camber

I've got a 2008 Jeep Compass, 2.4L Manual, FWD.

When i switched from my summers to my winters I noticed that the inboard tread block on the summers were considerably worn. I took it to a shop to check it out, they told me that the bushings on the control arms etc were fine, but the alignment was way off (lots of negative camber and toe out).

so they fixed the toe-out, however they said that the camber in the rear is non adjustable, and is sitting at -1.8 degrees. they said the only way to fix it would be new rear struts, which if i remember correctly they quoted $465/side.

any tips/suggestions? i've seen some things online of special bolts to allow camber adjustment, should i be worried about tire wear? i realise the wear on my summers was from the camber +toe, but with the toe fixed will the camber alone cause wear issues? is the quote for struts reasonable?

thanks in advance!

FujativeOCR 10-31-2012 11:18 AM

I would think that yes, a wheel tilted in at the top would make it wear unevenly. However if it truly mattered, the car manufacturer would make it adjustable. So it must not matter. I'd leave it.

dahozzman 10-31-2012 07:49 PM

Springs can settle a bit, struts can settle a bit. Actually, people pay money to lower their cars. So you got a freebie. But that negative camber is going to cause premature wearing of your tires. So it's going to cost you if you DON'T do something about it. So you have a cost you need to incure either way. I go for the long term solution as it will ultimately pay for itself.

There are aftermarket camber adjustment kits to compensate for lowering. Did a quick google, and found this you tube video. If I ran into the same situation as you did, I'd be looking where to buy one of these kits. More adjustability for alighnments is always a good thing. The R&R or the arm itself looks really easy and the end result is a pretty common adjustability design. But unless you have the right tools, I'd take them to a machine shop do the indicated modifications.

For what it's worth, I've installed aftermarket camber adjustment kits in all my sports cars just to be sure I get a good alignment every time going forward.

greenmohawk 11-06-2012 07:43 AM

Thanks a ton, I'll have to take a look at the video at home since I can't see it at work, I was leaning towards what you suggested, replacing the struts and getting the camber kit for future issues.

From my quick google I found these, which offer up to 1.75 degrees of adjustment, should be enough for me even if I don't change the struts.

Edit: Oops forgot to put on the link for the camber bolts: http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/jee...alignment-kit/

Trying to figure out if the camber bolts will work on the rear, some sites say they are for front only, some seem to say they'll work front and back, that video you posted shows a camber arm instead of camber bolt which is a bit more expensive. Anyone have any experience that would be able to tell me if a camber bolt will work on the rear end of a compass?

dahozzman 11-06-2012 09:56 PM

The kit you gave link to is simply a pivot cam bolt replacement for the upper mounting bolt of a strut that pulls the top of the wheel inward or outward as you rotate the cam bolt. Most cars, including our Compass's, only have struts on the front. Rear are single mount shocks.

So that AC Delco kit (or the like) will only work for front adjustments. See diagram in the below post.

You'll need the kind of kit the video I gave link to for adding similar camber adjustment to the rear.

dahozzman 11-06-2012 09:58 PM

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Front-Camber-...EJUQ~~60_1.JPG

greenmohawk 11-08-2012 09:43 AM

Well, I've got 2 camber arms on order from Amazon (they had the cheapest overall price with shipping, $200 all together) and have a shop lined up to do the work for me. They have to remove my factory upper control arms, press out the bushings, press them into the new arms, install, and align.

Should be fun, I'll try to post pics once theyre all set to go.

PDF2 12-21-2012 04:20 PM

Had a problem with too much negative camber on my left rear. I took it to the dealer today and they said that the rear cradle was off a little, possible cause- a big pothole. I do remember hitting a bad one last winter about when that tire started wearing faster than the rest. They did a 4 wheel alignment and adjusted the cradle. $110. Now everything seems to be lined up. That's the first I ever heard of a rear cradle being out of place!

mtwise248 06-12-2013 09:24 PM

New to site. This talked about the rear camber not being adjustable. I know that I can get adjustable after market to install and then rear camber ( which is out on one side) can be brought back in. My question and I have searched but not found an answer either yea or nay, is is there anything other part that you would replace that would correct the problem? Would a new rear control arm fix? I would think not as it is a pretty solid piece. Rear bushing? Rear shocks? or is the only way to bring it back in limits is to add an adjustable arm?

Not oppsed to replacing the arm with an adjustable, just trying to figure my options.

The time now is 01:14 PM.