Compass Rallye 2007 servicing dilemas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass Rallye 2007 servicing dilemas

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
pobednik18
2008 MK Compass 

Compass Rallye 2007 servicing dilemas

Hi guys, I have 2 questions for you experts. Firstly, i would like to apologize in advance for possible mistranslations, as i am not such a car expert, and some terms from my language translate literally.
It is all about 2007 Compass Rallye Sport, 2.0 CRD, 6 speed manual.
As I`m from Europe, i will use my units, and here are ratios for the ones who are not familiar with metric system and euros:
1 mile = 1,609 km => 1 km = 0,621 miles
1 € = 1,31 $ => 1 $ = 0,76 €

1) Several days back, i have started experiencing ignition problems. I put key in a "hole", turn it until lamps in gauge clusters light , car emits several beaps for unfasten seat belt and activated hand brake, radio starts, ventilation also, and then car starts turning off lamps (only few stay activated). As you can see, everything seems pretty usual. But, when i try to ignite, there is no "babble" sound of ingition, nothing hears. Or maybe, tiny, deeply located, short click, but not so sure about it. I usually try several times, sometimes maybe for 3-4 minutes, until i start the engine. On the other hand, sometimes, car starts after first attempt. After pulling off, driving is usual, but today i experienced stopping the engine surprisingly, when i stopped at traffic light. I am visiting my dealer on Monday, and not expecting you to solve this, but i want to know general directions for finding what is causing this problem.

2) This thing bothers me much more then the first one. I bought this car with 95 000 km on it a year ago. Now, I`m 110 000 km with it. As my user manual, and also the dealer, suggest i should schedule "regular service" (in my country we usually use term "small service") to every 15 000 km. "Regular service" includes changing filters (air, fuel, air conditioning,...), changing engine oil, diagnosing for other problems, and, i think that is all. Correct me, if you know that this service includes something else. My dealer charges me this service 250€, and that is a thing that i can live with. But, at milestone of 100 000 km, user manual suggests doing "big service". I contacted the dealer to inform me what this service includes, as it sometimes differ from car to car. He says that this service includes:
"small service" + changing 2 belts (one is serpentine belt and i don`t know about another one, but he says that one goes with another, one cnannot be changed without another) + additional oil change (oil for reductor,..., he hasn`t named exactly all parts which oil should be changed, i only managed to remember reductor, but i don`t know if compass had a reductor). And all this will cost me around 700 € (around 900 $). That is really too much for me, and i want to try to avoid official dealer. My idea is to dig information from you guys about which checks and repairs should be done at this milestone. If anyone knows, what this "big service" includes and can name it, step by step. Also, i will appreciate if you can name exact names and producers of these additional oils and belts, and give me several alternatives, as I will try to buy it somewhere else, and give them to local "unofficial" Jeep servicer, who will charge me installations less than official one. It is hard to buy reserve Jeep parts in my contry apart from official dealer, because there are not too many Jeeps on the streets, but I`ll try my best, beacuse, it is hard to handle all these cost.
Sorry for this long post, and thank you in advance.

pobednik18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
pobednik18
2008 MK Compass 

Hi people, i hope that this time I`ll have more luck with answers.
Servicer diagnosed that something, literally translated as "ignition box" or "starting box", is damaged/destroyed. It is located behind left front wheel and should be replaced with all its installations. I was unable to see the car today, and they had to re-assemble it to lift it down and continue work with other cars, so i haven`t seen that part.
Does anyone know what this part can be, and can show me it in Compass Part Book?
Also, servicer gave me 2 options - either to order and mount new part (800€=1000$) or, because of the high price, to try to find used part. He said that he would do search for me. But I`m not sure if that is correct option. Does anyone have experience with similar problems and/or parts and can give me some advice about this? Whether to go with new part, or it is safe enough to use used part of this kind?

I`m getting really frustrated with this problem, hope, you can give some help.
Unread 05-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Hi and I'm sorry that you didn't get any replies. The vast majority of our members don't have the Diesel so are not really familiar with your problems and what these components might be. I'll try and get some time to do some research but It may take me a while.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
pobednik18
2008 MK Compass 

Yes, I know that my problem is "engine incompatibility" with this forum , but I suppose electric installations and parts should be the same, regardless of engine type?
I`m sorry I can`t translate some expressions well, cause I`m not that car familiar and know only basic terms.

Thanks Gramps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.