Compass Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass Questions

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
belezeeubub
2007 MK Patriot 

Compass Questions

I got my financee a 2007 Jeep compass (I am at work or else I would just look) she took it in for the 3000 Oil change and they want to sell her on a serivce plan to cover the oil chances and the 500 air filter? 500.00 for an air filter is someone smoking something? or is the filter really that spendy for a compass?
Anyone know?

belezeeubub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Somebodies smokin' something. I gotta check into that! The whole K&N set up is less than half of that and I think the filter is good for 100K. I don't buy service plans, everybody can find deals on oil changes but you have to watch what kind of filter they use. At least the dealer has the right stuff including the CVT tranny fluid.

Note: Air Filters same as Patriot

STP #SA10118 about $15
K&N #332362 about $47 (cleanable).

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

An added foot note to this. The air filter should be changed at 15K so I'm due for it next week plus they should have my cabin filter in also (it's cheep too).

The only expensive filter that I can think of is fine micron oil filter that I believe is inside the timing cover(?) for the gears and chain set up. I don't think that it's the filter that's expensive, it's the labor. I can not find this listed anywhere in the Service Manual nor is it included in any of the scheduled maintenance looking up to 170K. Since it's not cover under scheduled maintenance it would not be covered under a maintenance contract either.

Unread 04-27-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

I looked at the engine air filter and I didn't see anything special about it, Certainly nothing to justify $500.... Maybe $20. Sounds like dealer FUD to sell maint contracts.

My Compass did not come with the cabin air filter, but I purchased the filter for $20 at the dealer and installed it myself.

As for the micron oil filter that supplies the VVT assembly.... I was told by my dealer that you can only service that filter by pulling the head. Not sure if I believe that but until I see a service manual I'll have to take him at his word.

That should be enough to provide incentive to keep your oil changed.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'll be checking the Service Manual some more to night and post a pic if I can find it. I have looked in the Timing cover/gears section and briefly at the head/valve train/VVT set up and didn't find it. It may be tucked away under one of the many sub menus that I didn't have time to explore.

Unread 04-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

CAUTION: Always replace the variable valve timing filter screen (3) when servicing the head gasket or engine damage could result.

1. Replace the variable valve timing filter screen (3).
vvt-screena.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.