Compass/Patriot - why such a bad rep...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass/Patriot - why such a bad rep...?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
Harpster

Compass/Patriot - why such a bad rep...?

We have been looking at either the Compass or Patriot and it seems many I speak to tell me to pass on it since they are garbage and go for the Cherokee. Honestly the Cherokee is out of our price range.

Why the hate on these 2 vehicles...?

Harpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Because they are jeeps first car based platform. The compass when it came out was little more than a re skinned caliber. However the patriot brought some better 4x4 systems, and better suspension (both eventually found their way into the compass) and then both were redesigned and looks and interior improved greatly. Then they brought out the 6 speed and most complaints went away. Only problem now is that it is an old platform (pushing 8 years) so will be replaced in probably 2016. I had a 2012, sport with FDII. Loved it and only sold it for financial reasons. I would buy one again if I had the $ and room for an extra vehicle.
aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
jacko15
2014 WK 

We bought an '08 Compass Sport new, and we're still driving it. It's my wife's daily driver, and she loves it. We live in the lake effect snow belt on the south shore of Lake Erie, and nothing Mother Nature has thrown at us has ever slowed it down. Only problem we ever had was lower front end suspension, and since that was replaced it's been bullet proof. Honestly, I have no idea why it gets a bad rap. I can't talk my wife into even looking at new vehicles. We have a friend who traded her '08 Compass in on a '14 Compass just because of the new interior. It is being discontinued in a couple of years, but that's just Fiat slimming down their product line.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Not discontinued, replaced. It's been a hot seller for them. They are going to replace it with one vehicle (replacing compass and patriot) slotted between the cherokee and renegade. For the model year 2016.
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
jacko15
2014 WK 

Discontinue/replace, really semantics. Depends on what you read. http://www.rrstar.com/article/20140506/News/140509625
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

That says exactly what I said. Compass and patriot will be replaced with one vehicle.... discontinued means the name plate will no longer be used. A jeep rep told me that the patriot has enough Brand recognition in the us to keep using it, but that the compass name has world recognition. So they haven't made a decision on which name will be continued.
Unread 08-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
jacko15
2014 WK 

I guess you missed the headline,
"Chrysler to discontinue Compass, Patriot in 2016"
Unread 08-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

In all honesty the early bad rap of the MK was due to the fact the DaimlerChrysler ( Mercedes Benz) cheaped out on all of the Chrysler stuff while they owned it. And it showed. The re-work of the pair made them much nicer. They get some very positive press now with financial guru The Motley Fool labeling the 2014 Patriot the best buy in an SUV/CUV. Whether earned or not ( I believe they were earned) the CVT generated mucho complaints. The new 6-speed auto removes those. The engine noise and "sluggishness" are gone and hopefully the reliability proves much better. I disliked my friends '12 CVT Compass greatly but the 6-speed made such a difference that I bought one as my DD. I was very impressed with its foul weather capabilities during our fairly brutal winter last year. While the MK platform is pretty weak off-road and does not compare to even my KJ ( either stock or after it was lifted & the rear locked) but it is better on-road in every category including winter driving and gets almost 10 more MPG. If you want an off-road jeep look elsewhere IMHO. Or do what I did: I have had 14 jeeps and wanted an all-weather Jeep DD so I bought the Patriot and I have a much less expensive but reliable modified Comanche that no MK will ever compare to off-road to play with.

BTW: Since the introduction of the 6-speed Patriot sales have increased almost 20% despite this being a lame-duck model slated to be discontinued in 2016.
Unread 08-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
snb77
2007 MK Compass 

I don't know why the bad rap with the Compass. I was driving a 1997 Chrysler Seabring Coupe (which I got used) when my husband and I married. Knowing it would not be a good vehicle should we want to start a family, we began shopping around. We spent a few months looking, never found anything we really liked. Around Memorial Day of that year, we saw an advert for the Jeep Compass. We drove to a nearby town (by this time we were disgusted with the area car dealers) to look at the Jeep. We were so impressed we went the next day for a test drive. Within a week, it was mine. I am having some problems (sound wise) with it now, but I have had it for just over seven years, have put 98,000 miles on it, and still love it.
snb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
jch24vball

I'm hoping that whatever they replace the Patriot and Compass with will be based on the same concept as the 2 out going Jeeps. AWD all the time with the ability to shift into 4 wheel drive. I like that kind of option with my Patriot. Gives you a better sense of control. Especially living in the Northeast and the winters we have.
jch24vball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
Tyler-98-W68
2012 MK Compass 

You mention the Cherokee is out of your price range, what price range are you looking at. Here in Canada there is an overlap in pricing between the Patriot/Compss & Cherokee.

A Cherokee 4 Banger 4x4 with some options is around the price of a pretty loaded up compass.

For the record my Wife has a 2014 Limited Active Drive II V6 Cherokee
Tyler-98-W68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Very easy to recommend a Cherokee over a Patriot/Compass when it's NOT their money !!

I bought my 14 Compass Latitude 4x4 (pretty much loaded with options) for $24,300. Anything else 4x4 comparible was at least $4-5,000 HIGHER in price ! My budget was $25,000 and it HAD to be a 4x4. Nothing else really compared.

It's a just under 8,000 with absolutely ZERO problems. It gets just under (30) MPG Highway as well. Only complaint I have is the road noise from the 18" tires.
- 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rocky Mountian Edition - gone
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 937Comanche View Post
In all honesty the early bad rap of the MK was due to the fact the DaimlerChrysler ( Mercedes Benz) cheaped out on all of the Chrysler stuff while they owned it. And it showed. The re-work of the pair made them much nicer. They get some very positive press now with financial guru The Motley Fool labeling the 2014 Patriot the best buy in an SUV/CUV. Whether earned or not ( I believe they were earned) the CVT generated mucho complaints. The new 6-speed auto removes those. The engine noise and "sluggishness" are gone and hopefully the reliability proves much better. I disliked my friends '12 CVT Compass greatly but the 6-speed made such a difference that I bought one as my DD. I was very impressed with its foul weather capabilities during our fairly brutal winter last year. While the MK platform is pretty weak off-road and does not compare to even my KJ ( either stock or after it was lifted & the rear locked) but it is better on-road in every category including winter driving and gets almost 10 more MPG. If you want an off-road jeep look elsewhere IMHO. Or do what I did: I have had 14 jeeps and wanted an all-weather Jeep DD so I bought the Patriot and I have a much less expensive but reliable modified Comanche that no MK will ever compare to off-road to play with.

BTW: Since the introduction of the 6-speed Patriot sales have increased almost 20% despite this being a lame-duck model slated to be discontinued in 2016.
I agree 100% with my neighbor. I live in the same area and also experienced using my Compass's 4x4 in the harsh winter here last year. It performed flawlessly. The new 6 speed automatic (used in Hyundias and other vehicles) is an outstanding transmission. No sluggishness at all! Quite peppy actually. No hotrod, but if will get out of it's own way.

Now, the CVT tranny is a POS IMHO and many others agree as well.

Forget off-roading one unless you upgrade with a lift and tires.
- 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rocky Mountian Edition - gone
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #14
jch24vball

Try the Bridgestone Ecopia tires for your Compass. I put a set on my 2009 Patriot and the road noise is gone and it's like riding in air. Plus, very good in the rain.
jch24vball is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.