Compass / Patriot OEM Aftermarket Remote Start Wiring Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass / Patriot OEM Aftermarket Remote Start Wiring Question

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
maattt
2007 WK 

Compass / Patriot MOPAR Remote Start Wiring Question

Hi -

I have a 2007 Compass and purchased the MOPAR OEM remote start kit 82209364AH. This is the "AH" kit, but the items in the kit lead me to believe that it is the newer "AG" kit, and I do not have the "AG" install manual - it came with the "AH" installation guide. I think that the kit was potentially put together in those times when the literature has not been fully updated.
I was able to install the kit and get it all to work - except for the horn beeping. I think that the manual is earlier and I did not receive an updated insert page detailing to where a green wire goes to (the horn wire, I have deduced)

Here is some background -

I have an "AH" installation manual but it looks like the updated "AG" kit. These should be the same for the compass / patriot. My question is that since I have a newer harness and an older manual, I don't know where a couple things go. I was able to install the kit and get it to work in my wife's compass over the weekend, less one item - in my manual the horn lead says to look for a green/violet in pin 3 of the horn plug under the steering wheel, then splice in the green/violet one from the kit. There is no green/violet one. there is a solid GREEN wire which is the same length as all the other wires that penetrate into the engine compartment. (the other wires that terminate under the dash are shorter) So - I assume this green wire goes somewhere under the hood, and operates the horn.

Does anyone have the page of the manual for the "AG" level kits, or know exactly where this green horn wire is supposed to go? It should be under the hood somewhere, maybe at a relay?

Thanks in advance for any help. (I have searched the forum for this predicament and found nothing close)

Matt

Last edited by maattt; 02-11-2008 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: correct info for the kit
maattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It looks like it should tie in to the dark Blue from the horn.
horn.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
maattt
2007 WK 

Thanks for the diagram -

I agree that's where is should go - in the old pre "AG" kit - My instructions specifically state to tap into the DG/VT (dark green / violet ) in port 3 of the steering control module (You have this outlined in the far left of your diagram)
My problem is that the kit I have has not the DG/VT colored match in the loom. It has only a solid medium green wire, which is as long as all the other wires which penetrate to the engine compartment (for the hood switch etc.) so I think it should go there.

I tapped this green wire into the DG/VT @ the steering control module wire (thinking that MOPAR confused the wire colors) and there is no horn beep. I get the lights flash and I can hear the relay clicking in the remote start module, but no horn beep. This tells me that this medium green wire, which is real long, goes somewhere else other than under the dash.

I have read that others have wanted to disconnect their horn beep from the remote start, and were told to disconnect a green wire going to the under hood fuses, etc. I think that this is the green wire I am looking for. I just don't know exactly which relay/fuse under the hood to put it into. I am hoping someone here has a newer revised remote start installation manual which spells out exactly where I need to put this wire.

Thanks for your help,

Matt
Unread 02-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Is it a Light Green or Dark Green, no tracers?

I almost want to say connect to directly to the horn since it's long enough but I'll look around the rest of the wiring to see if anything else makes since.

Unread 02-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
maattt
2007 WK 

The wire is a medium green - not dark and not really light. It is solid color - there are no stripes/tracer colors on it. The install manual I have specifically states to attach the Dark Green / Violet in the kit to the DG/ VT in the steering control module. There is no DK/VT in the kit - the only wire which is odd-man-out is this green one. This is my dilemma -all the other wire colors matched up, leading me to believe that the electronics I recieved are current to the release MOPAR has, but they sent me the manual for the older kit they used to give out - and there are small changes to the kit. I wonder if the solid green wire just invokes a voltage drop at a relay to entice it to fire - low voltage - and that's why it would not work when I hooked it to the steering module(mayeb that needs high voltage). I assumed that this was the same wire and mopar just changed the color, so i followed the directions given to me.
Unread 02-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Using the wire specifications there is only Light Green and Dark Green solid color in the factory wiring. The Dark Greens that I have found are fusible links that go between the starter and the alternator.

You may have to contact who you bought this kit from or the dealer to find out. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Unread 02-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
maattt
2007 WK 

Thanks for looking into this Bob -

Hopefully someone will have an updated manual. I am also calling 1-800-34-MOPAR tomorrow to see if I can get some answers there.

I think that this green wire terminates on a fuse or relay and that's why you have not been able to find it in your diagrams - it doesn't splice into a similar colored wire.

Matt
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I think so too. When you find out be sure to let us know. Good luck!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.