Compass owner review - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass owner review

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #61
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I didn't mean to say that YOU were trashing it, obviously others have been. There are a lot of comfort and safety features that tend to eat up mileage too, just from the added weight. Yup, there's stuff out there that gets 30 - 36 miles per gallon, but when you start add on the features that are on the Compass their mileage drops too.

Let me add a little to this. I AM prejudice in favor of buying from DC. I believe that I bought one of their best offerings for what I needed. That's not saying that I don't think that they couldn't have done better. Flex-fuel on a new engine would have only added about $200 - $300 on the price and given ME a choice of what fuel to use when Big Oil started jacking us around again. Still, I now look forward to Butanol which is a direct replacement for straight gas that is made from a second stage process that comes from ethanol.

http://www.butanol.com/

Of course there are the safety features that are standard on the Compass that really are my "insurance" policy: ESP & TC, Anti-lock disk brakes, Side curtain front and rear air bags, Electronic Roll Mitigation, Brake assist, etc. I feel quite at ease and very comfortable driving my Compass. I haven't been in any driving condition that makes me feel like something unpredictable is going to happen.

Then there are the creature comforts: leather, heated seats; sound system; seat hight adjustment; Fold-away power mirrors; EVIC; etc. that make my commuting a lot more pleasurable.

By the time you add on 4WD and all of the other options, it adds on to the weight; adding on all of these features to others to compare it to also drives up their weight and the price goes beyond the cost of Compass. What did I sacrifice? A little bit of MPG but still better than Jeeps next best, the Libby.

Last, I do LOVE other JEEPS, Dodges and MOPARS in general. I have called the "classic" design of other Jeeps "a brick on wheels" because from an artists perspective , they are. Do they look good? Hell yes!! If the "classic" Jeep is a "brick on wheels", then the Compass is the stucco version, and i do like southwest architecture. Jeep builds some of the best bricks ever made.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick

Last edited by Gramps; 12-10-2006 at 08:53 AM..
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #62
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl
Oh I'm not trashing it by any means, just curious about the lower than average mpg for 4 banger cars.

It's actually higher than average for 4-banger AWD cars.

That's the key...

I actually think the mpg ratings on the Compass are quite good considering the size and drivetrain.

K
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 06:25 PM   #63
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

from yahoo auto reviews----------"My wife and I both picked up our
Compasses the same day (just over a month ago).
Both Limited's with CVT and 4X4 and everything but
the tow package. I went from a '03 Liberty Limited
and had previously owned a '98 Cherokee Limited.
I read the motor mag reviews and they all seem
to a large extent bias toward anything other than
an American product. Hey, heap criticism upon the
Compass because it can't go off-road? I've owned two
Jeeps, loved them both, but I bought them to get me
back and forth to work in upstate NY. Not beat my
brains out in some snake-infested swamp. I retired
to Michigan and hope that my great new Compass can
safely get me though some bad weather when needed.
Anybody interested in a great new vehicle and reading these reviews, trust the words of the people
who have put up their hard earned money and not
the so-called professional car reviewers"
echocat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #64
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by echocat22
from yahoo auto reviews----------"My wife and I both picked up our
Compasses the same day (just over a month ago).
Both Limited's with CVT and 4X4 and everything but
the tow package. I went from a '03 Liberty Limited
and had previously owned a '98 Cherokee Limited.
I read the motor mag reviews and they all seem
to a large extent bias toward anything other than
an American product. Hey, heap criticism upon the
Compass because it can't go off-road? I've owned two
Jeeps, loved them both, but I bought them to get me
back and forth to work in upstate NY. Not beat my
brains out in some snake-infested swamp. I retired
to Michigan and hope that my great new Compass can
safely get me though some bad weather when needed.
Anybody interested in a great new vehicle and reading these reviews, trust the words of the people
who have put up their hard earned money and not
the so-called professional car reviewers"
and to you too for finding that bit! 'snot u is it? You can't be retiring to Michigan already!

Last edited by Gramps; 12-21-2006 at 07:25 PM..
Unread 12-21-2006, 09:47 PM   #65
phil8400

"snake-infested swamp". That's funny.
I see many "real" Jeeps here in Ottawa, and let me tell you that the only people driving into snake-infested waters here are the politicians on the Hill - and their Jeeps are too clean to be going off-road.
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #66
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

gramps, still waiting for my compass, 8 weeks and counting..............
Unread 12-22-2006, 09:18 AM   #67
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by echocat22
gramps, still waiting for my compass, 8 weeks and counting..............
Cheer up. Mel just got hers and how long was that? Just guessing that Mel joined the group about the time hers was ordered, so that was about 3 months wait. 2 down 1 to go? Easy for me to say, I've got mine. Maybe it's a sign that things are starting to move better in Belvidere. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya'. The more input from owners the better off we all are!!

Unread 12-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #68
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Cheer up. Mel just got hers and how long was that? Just guessing that Mel joined the group about the time hers was ordered, so that was about 3 months wait. 2 down 1 to go? Easy for me to say, I've got mine. Maybe it's a sign that things are starting to move better in Belvidere. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya'. The more input from owners the better off we all are!!

Damn that's a long wait.

Maybe I shoulda waited, that way I would have found out about my raise!!!

(Then again, had I done that, there's a decent chance I would have wound up with a RAV4 instead)
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 09:43 AM   #69
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

its not to big of a deal, but it is a pain to keep waiting, i really didnt/dont need a new vehicle, my subaru impreza 2.5 rs is still in great shape but wanted something a bit bigger, however, if i knew it was going to take this long (only waited 3 weeks for my impreza) i would of just waited to like april......when i "traded" my subaru in it had 88,600 on it now i have 90,200 , the more miles i put on it the less the dealer gets
Unread 01-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #70
TimeTraveler
2014 JK Wrangler 

echocat22 - If you have time, just hang in there... I ran out of time after two months and switched to the Caliber R/T AWD... not the same, but close. Still wish I could have waited. No complaints with the Caliber.

Gramps, when you were on snow without locking in, did you try experimenting to see what spins? I noticed when making a U-turn, I could spin the rear around just like on a rear wheel drive car/truck. Also I wanted to test the AWD in a snow bank vs. driving through one. So I stopped in one on my property. (no need getting embarrassed out on the road) I was stuck, had to dig my way out. All wheels spun, but I was not able to move. So as I reported previously, with forward motion, it gets me through.

GEO
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #71
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

i was able to get one finally (not the one i factory ordered) with a few extra things on it
Unread 01-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #72
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTraveler
Gramps, when you were on snow without locking in, did you try experimenting to see what spins? I noticed when making a U-turn, I could spin the rear around just like on a rear wheel drive car/truck. Also I wanted to test the AWD in a snow bank vs. driving through one. So I stopped in one on my property. (no need getting embarrassed out on the road) I was stuck, had to dig my way out. All wheels spun, but I was not able to move. So as I reported previously, with forward motion, it gets me through.

GEO
Without the Lock On I sensed that something was spinning a few times but at no time did I go in any direction other than the one I was heading (NO sliding), either straight, cornering or turning. The traction controls worked GREAT!

There were some pretty long stretches where the plows hadn't been and it was packed pretty well about 2" thick or so. When I got back out to a well traveled "main" road (still packed snow, no plows) there were no other cars around, which is really unusual for that stretch of the road. After going 4 or 5 miles at a very comfortable speed (40-45) I finally caught up with a whole line of cars that were doing about 30 or so. No, I didn't feel like I was driving faster that the Compass could handle. I almost got in to a head on during a white out last year (just lost the drivers side mirror on my truck) so I am a little bit paranoid at times. I don't get to adventuresome, I'm the one that everybody else calls to help them out so I have to stay available.

When you got stuck, were you high centered?

Unread 01-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #73
TimeTraveler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
When you got stuck, were you high centered?
Not knowing the clearance on the Caliber, I'll estimate 8", the snow drift was above the door sills. The whole undercarriage was stuffed full.

The drift as a few weeks old, and we had warmed up so the top layer was ice, then ice crystals below. Nothing to grip. I drove through it for approx. 20 feet before stopping, if I just continued it would have made it the rest of the way. I wanted to see what type of traction was available, so if I was in this situation while out on/off the road.

This Cali did not have traction control, so some of my experiences will be different.

Tonight we will see, we have high cross winds (60mph), blowing snow, and -4F temps. I have 40miles of highway to get home.

I'll keep in touch.

GEO
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #74
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTraveler
Not knowing the clearance on the Caliber, I'll estimate 8", the snow drift was above the door sills. The whole undercarriage was stuffed full.

The drift was a few weeks old, and we had warmed up so the top layer was ice, then ice crystals below. Nothing to grip. I drove through it for approx. 20 feet before stopping, if I just continued it would have made it the rest of the way. I wanted to see what type of traction was available, so if I was in this situation while out on/off the road.

This Cali did not have traction control, so some of my experiences will be different.

Tonight we will see, we have high cross winds (60mph), blowing snow, and -4F temps. I have 40miles of highway to get home.

I'll keep in touch.

GEO
Woops, high centered! By high centering it it had no weight on the wheels to get any traction. Packed ice and snow like that can support a lot of weight. Best to just keep it rolling. You've got the idea and thanks for experimenting for us!

And drive carefully!!

Last edited by Gramps; 01-10-2007 at 06:49 PM..
Unread 02-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #75
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

12,000 review

When I first started my quest for a new Daily Driver I knew pretty much what I was after, decent gas mileage, good handling, leather interior, comfortable seats, sound system, good ground clearance but it had to be more than that. It had to be able to carry a good amount of “stuff “from our treasure hunts which was a major secondary purpose and be completely enclosed, not another pick-up. I have friends at work that have Vibes and really like them and I liked the concept of a 5 door hatch back type of vehicle. The Matrix was ruled out because of no leather and by the time that I put everything on the Vibe that I had wanted it was on the high end of the price range and just another Pontiac. I had also looked at the Hyundai Tucson and Santa Fe and several others that looked like copies of the classic Jeep style and things got to be pretty ‘ho hum” along those lines, just nothing grabbed me. It was then that I saw that Dodge was replacing the Neon with the Caliber and it looked sharp! I took a trip to the Chicago Auto show in February of last year to take a look at it and later test drove several SXT’s and an R/T. The R/T, I thought, had a much better ride, was AWD and had some extra equipment as standard and was going to be available in the spring and I did need it for an up coming trip to Tucson. The Compass was also at the auto show but its announced delivery date was “late summer”, a little too late to have in time for the pending trip right at the end of August and the wife told me flat out (kidding) that if there was going to be a new Jeep, it was going to be hers. I went down to the local dealer and ordered a Caliber the first week in April and waited, and waited, and waited… It was now the middle of July and still no word on a delivery date. I was told stories about the robot arms crashing at the plant when they were trying to run the new Compass’ through and production on everything was being delayed. WHATEVER! All I knew for sure was that I didn’t have my Caliber and I was running out of time! In a fit of frustration and as a fluke I went on Jeep.com and did a search on the Compass, thinking that if the Compass is the hold up then maybe there are some of them at the dealers. I found just what I was looking for about 11 miles from where I work so I took the afternoon off to go take a look. For me, it was just about love at first site, it wasn’t the Caliber orange but red, REALLY RED! Chrome wheels, not just aluminum, and a sunroof, the right sound system and it was AWD with a 4 wheel lock (icing on the cake). I thought that it just doesn’t get any better than this. I went back home and told the wife about this red Compass with the black leather interior that I had found and she kind of wrote it off that I was just ticked off because the Caliber hadn’t come in. She didn’t have to approve of me buying it but to keep peace and harmony I felt that she at least had to like it. It took me a full 10 days to convince her to go take a look with me but the dealership is 45 miles from home. When she saw it I think that she kind of got a feeling for it too. She said that I had told her that it had a black interior, not that it was two toned! Well, EXCUSE ME! She liked it, that’s all that mattered! They had already made me a heck of an offer and now since it was the dealerships “birthday” they’d give $1500 for whatever I could drive back up there. Needless to say, I drove the Compass home that night and I’ve never given it a second thought as to if I’d made the right decision.

What does 12 K miles in a Compass give you? Lots of value for the money, lots of peace of mind and lots of safety features as standard equipment! Features like up to 8 ½ inches of ground clearance, great handling, responsive steering, comfortable seats, lots of head room, room for a 6’ plus person in the back seat with knee and foot room with the stadium like seating, drivers seat height adjustment, ample storage with the fold flat seats, Electronic Stability Program and Traction Control, Electronic Roll Mitigation, Anti-lock 4 wheel dick brakes, front AND side air bags and a whole list of other things either as standard or optional that you can find listed on the Jeep website.

The fit and finish is really quite good and the plastic interior that some have complained about is very easy to clean and maintain. The visibility with the rather large front windshield pillars takes a little bit of paying extra attention and an extra look but as they say “hang up and drive!”

I’ve been in 107 degree heat in Tucson, 22 below in Wisconsin, the flatlands of Illinois, the hills and mountains in Missouri, New Mexico, Arizona, the wind and rain in Wisconsin, Oklahoma, and Tucson and nothing seems to affect my Compass. It has always started instantly and stops, corners and maneuvers almost like a sports car. I’ve been through a down pour in Tucson when the streets were flooded with about 6” – 8” of water and through about 5” – 8” snow drifts here at home with no problems. Snow, ice, wind and water mean nothing to the Compass. The ONLY problem that I believe is worth mentioning is the driver’s side rear window that got stuck and was fixed by adjusting the window channel under a warranty repair.

Someone is bound to ask if I’m maybe a little bit sorry that I couldn’t wait for the Patriot. Simply put, NO. The Compass LOOKS different and I love it. It’s not a copy cat or “I wanna be like everybody else”. The Compass will set itself apart by those who dare to be different and not follow the crowd. The Patriot will be better received by those who enjoy the classic Jeep style but, I do wonder how many Patriots are going to have the Trail Rated package that so many seem to be all hyped up about. Stop and think for a minute, if they are the same chassis then won’t all of those off the shelf pieces that go into the Trail Rated Patriot also fit a Compass along with the programming for it? Logically, the answer is yes. And won’t the Caliber SRT 300 hp turbo also fit? Weren’t Jeeps meant to be modified? Just like the old hot rod saying “didn’t all Willy’s coupes come with a Hemi?”

Whether you like the Compass or the Patriot it won’t matter. The chassis and drive train under them is all Jeep inspired. They are a great General Purpose Road Rated vehicle, as intended, as designed by Jeep.

PS; The "back up order" for the Caliber arrived at the dealer last week and they just finished prepping it. Thought somebody may be interested in know that.
enew-006.jpg   e12k-002.jpg  

Last edited by Gramps; 02-18-2007 at 09:43 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.