Compass owner review - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass owner review

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #46
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

9000 K miles and Warranty repair

First on the list is that there are no problems with the drive train at all.

Second is that I had a nail in my right rear tire and it shows up on the TPMS as the right front. I rotated my tires at the 6 K mark it it appears that the computer takes it that the sensor is still in the same location as it was originally. I had to refill the tire twice over a two week period. The first time the other tires were up around 34/35 lbs and the Low Tire indicator was still showing 29 in the faulty tire. The second time was about the same readings except the tire was showing 30 lbs. It appears that it doesn't just sense the pressure but calculates the change in pressure.

For those that want to run different tires or let air out for sand or whatever, the indicator only dinged once on each time starting and the EVIC always changed to the TPMS screen. The nice part was that I didn't have to watch a blinking screen the whole time, push the button and it goes to whatever screen that you want.

Last is my dragging drivers side rear window that at one point wouldn't roll back up on the first try. That was repaired under warranty by them pulling the door panel off and re-aligning the window channel. All fixed. It was "hinted" at that this had happened before on some early production units (mine is 6-06) back when the robots were crashing on the trial runs. I couldn't get them to repeat that when I picked her up.

She's a great ride!!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick

Last edited by Gramps; 12-08-2006 at 08:22 PM..
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #47
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps

Second is that I had a nail in my right rear tire and it show up on the TPMS as the right front. I rotated my tires at the 6 K mark it it appears that the computer takes it that the sensor is still in the same location as it was originally. I had to refill the tire twice over a two week period.
Did not my research into this system predict that would happen.

We figured that you would need to teach the computer the new location when you rotate tires (on other Jeeps it is a procedure involving a tool which I think is essentially a magnet).

Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #48
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
Did not my research into this system predict that would happen.

We figured that you would need to teach the computer the new location when you rotate tires (on other Jeeps it is a procedure involving a tool which I think is essentially a magnet).

Yup, just confirming and making people aware. Shouldn't that be something that the dealer does when they are the ones to rotate them? It should be part of the service. With out the Service Manual we do depend on the dealers to take care of things when you take it to them. Oh, well, another 3 K and they will be reading right again.

Unread 12-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #49
g3cko
2011 JK Wrangler 

That's interesting. Maybe if you mention it to them next time they can take care of it for everyone else in the future.
g3cko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #50
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'll do that but this isn't the first Jeep to have this feature, they are also a Chrysler / Dodge dealer too. The service people should have this information as part of their procedure.

Kev's statement "on other Jeeps it is a procedure involving a tool which I think is essentially a magnet" sounded like speculation to me at the time. It does turn out to be true but I still feel that we, as owners, shouldn't be telling the dealers how to do their jobs. Now that this has been brought up again I hope that everybody else out there learns from my "mistake".

Last edited by Gramps; 12-08-2006 at 07:59 PM..
Unread 12-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #51
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Yup, just confirming and making people aware. Shouldn't that be something that the dealer does when they are the ones to rotate them? It should be part of the service.
Absolutely

and

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Unread 12-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #52
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
but I still feel that we, as owners, shouldn't be telling the dealers how to do their jobs. Now that this has been brought up again I hope that everybody else out there learns from my "mistake".

Absofreakin'lutely!!!!!

Not making excuses, but perhaps the techs at your dealer didn't realize some Compasses are equipped with the EVIC and you caught on boneheading....
Unread 12-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #53
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

An additional point is that when I told them about the tire leaking down I also informed them that it was not the tire as indicated on the TPMS. It was only 17 degrees when I brought my baby back home so I didn't manually check the tires to see if they reset the sensors or not. That gave them 2 chances to fix the read out, I wonder if they did anything about it? Something I'll be checking tomorrow.

Unread 12-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #54
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
Absofreakin'lutely!!!!!

Not making excuses, but perhaps the techs at your dealer didn't realize some Compasses are equipped with the EVIC and you caught on boneheading....
I did it the same time as the oil change, they had to drive the car on the rack to do that. The EVIC is as plain as day and this time the Service Adviser knew about it too.

I'm not really pitching a major ***** about this, it's just to make others aware.

Something else that you said 'back when" Kev. Something along the lines that the TPMS is NOT a substitute for regular pressure checks and tire maintenance. If the system alerts you of a fault, check ALL of the tires!

Final point (maybe), if all of the tires are up to the same pressure +/- a pound, a manual pressure gage will not tell you that the sensors have been reset. You'll have to wait for a problem or create one to check it out. Not something I care to do in the middle of winter.

Last edited by Gramps; 12-08-2006 at 08:20 PM..
Unread 12-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #55
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

For a car with new engine and aerodynamic body, the gas mileage isn't that great eh? Consider my brick on wheels with ancient 4L gets close to 20 mpg.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2006, 02:43 PM   #56
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl
For a car with new engine and aerodynamic body, the gas mileage isn't that great eh? Consider my brick on wheels with ancient 4L gets close to 20 mpg.

The wife's GC with a 4.0 does really great on mileage too. Only trouble is you can't get them any more The mileage may not seem GREAT but it is steady. Pretty much no matter how I drive it , either light foot or lead foot, doesn't seem to affect it. The gas with or with out ethanol and the outside temperatures have more of an affect than my lead foot does.

I think my model "A" got about 30 mpg but it didn't matter, gas was about 20 cents a gallon.

Aerodynamic? No not really,the Compass is just a "brick on wheels" with curves. Maybe a bit more "artsy" than other Jeeps but still carries a large frontal area and high roof line. The coefficiency of drag for the Neon was .34, the Caliber is .375, The Wrangler (depending on the report you read) is between .51 and .58 and the Grand Cherokee limited is .44. The Compass is probably closer to the GC.

BTW: I still like classic Jeeps and I'm considering a CJ type for a family project. Just because we LIKE the Compass doesn't mean that we dis-like the other Jeeps, far from it. Yes, at times, I have gotten my panties in a bunch over some of the comments made about the Compass. Sometimes you just gotta dare to be different. You don't see the Compass owners going into the other Jeep threads JUST to trash them , do you?

Last edited by Gramps; 12-09-2006 at 04:12 PM..
Unread 12-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #57
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oh I'm not trashing it by any means, just curious about the lower than average mpg for 4 banger cars.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #58
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl
Oh I'm not trashing it by any means, just curious about the lower than average mpg for 4 banger cars.

I didn't mean to say that YOU were trashing it, obviously others have been. There are a lot of comfort and safety features that tend to eat up mileage too, just from the added weight. Yup, there's stuff out there that gets 30 - 36 miles per gallon, but when you start add on the features that are on the Compass their mileage drops too.

Unread 12-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #59
cmparsons05

we're getting around 24 miles per gallon too. only 700 miles on ours. we were told letting the engine warm up properly during the break in period could help to improve mileage down the road after the engine breaks in. ever heard of that? I guess it makes sense.
p.s. leave the engine cover on. It's ugly under there
cmparsons05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #60
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmparsons05
we're getting around 24 miles per gallon too. only 700 miles on ours. we were told letting the engine warm up properly during the break in period could help to improve mileage down the road after the engine breaks in. ever heard of that? I guess it makes sense.
p.s. leave the engine cover on. It's ugly under there
I WAS getting that when the temperature was 40 degrees plus just not now. I do expect it to go back up when the cold weather is gone. What did they mean by "properly", as in before taking off, or did they just mean don't make short runs?

Back when engine tolerances were more loose than todays you did need to let your engine idle until it was warned up. Todays engines, I heard that it's not necessary, so I don't know

You were brave enough to take the cover off, huh? To bad you didn't take a picture!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.