Compass owner review - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass owner review

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #31
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Yup, dogs were barking that night about 1 or 2 in the morning. We checked out back but nobody checked out front. When I went to top off the tank for the trip home the gas door was closed and the gas cap was hanging out. It took 6.25 gallons for the 102.6 miles that we drove around town. 16.32 mpg...not bloody likely! Maybe you've never been to Tucson? When I lived there, for 27 years, I had people burn down my fence, crash into the same fence, steel 2 dogs and jump my fence and steal old Hemi parts. Just glad that I don't live there any more.

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2006, 06:08 AM   #32
HPMainiac

My wife just bought a Compass sport, nice car. I got to drive it a whole 2 miles in the first week we've owned it, but at least I got my Rubicon back! She loves it.
Dave
HPMainiac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #33
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Cool! Glad to see another owner or 2 out there and HAPPY that you got your Rubicon back!!!

Just had my 2nd oil change and back and forth to work and running around I'm still doing about 24 mpg without being careful. This tankful I'm going for squeezing everything out of it that I can just for the fun of it.

I had the tires rotated too, no problem with the pressure sensors reading correctly.

I had a "rude" awakening just the other day. The "Elapse Time" in the instrument cluster had 80 even hours on it, it had never been reset since new, mileage was showing 5951. That works out to an average speed of 74.39! Guess that I am really a hot rodder at heart.

Last edited by Gramps; 09-30-2006 at 07:32 AM..
Unread 09-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #34
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Funny, I was actually EXCITED about filling up this time. With gas prices down and me being gentle on the pedal on my 23.8 mile back road commute I got 24.64 mpg. The AVG MPG in the instrument cluster read 26.3 almost the whole time so it's always been on the high side but not too far off. It would be nice if you could recalibrate it. My commute has a few 4 way stops, several turn offs, some minor hills, no long straight stretches and some wonderful curves and very little city driving. I love the curves because the Compass handles so well in them, driving is fun again. I do have one hill that takes me up to 2800 rpm for maybe 10 seconds going home but then I get to coast down going to work, so that’s a wash. I did keep it under 2500 rpm the rest of the time except when I had a dump truck get in front of me pulling out of a 4 way stop. I passed him without any hesitation and took it up to 6 grand with ease.

I certainly have no problem keeping up with traffic or pulling away from it, passing is more than adequate, handling in curves is great, hauls all of my “stuff” and gets good gas mileage. I still get a lot of lookers and people asking about it, all very positive. It’s just a pleasure to drive and it fits what I need in transportation.

After having it for 2 months and putting 6354 miles on it I am completely happy with it, glad I’ve got it.
Unread 10-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #35
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Compass Sales Figures

I test drove mine on July 17th and went back and bought it on the 29th. I guess that I'm 1 of 707
compass-sales.jpg  
Unread 10-09-2006, 01:54 PM   #36
Swanny

Hi, I'm new here. I'll post more in a bit... my wife and I picked up our Compass in August. I found a Compass site here -- http://www.MyJeepCompass.com
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #37
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Welcome!
Unread 10-18-2006, 10:35 PM   #38
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

happy happy joy joy

all i got to say is that for the money u can not beat the compass. the wife and i test drove and looked at several other compact suvs and by far the compass is the best for our budget! took me a while to like the looks but it really does grow on u. very happy with the compass.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2006, 08:22 AM   #39
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07compasssport
all i got to say is that for the money u can not beat the compass. the wife and i test drove and looked at several other compact suvs and by far the compass is the best for our budget! took me a while to like the looks but it really does grow on u. very happy with the compass.

I couldn't agree with you more .

It took a bit for me to adjust to the front end too, it looked a lot like a Liberty's that had been grafted on. I never much cared for the Libby's front end either, even tho my oldest daughter has one, but it's grown on me and I finally think it fits. Maybe it's the "Compass attitude" . Got a friend that said it looked like Mercedes did the styling on it, he could be right. Certainly NOT the classic Jeep look, more Euro.
Unread 11-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #40
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Time for a 7700 mile update. About a fith of the way through the warrantee!

First thing off is that my mileage has dropped off a little, it’s maybe a mile to a mile and a half per gallon less . There could be two reasons for this. Of course I use it all week as a DD and then on weekends we use it for all of the short trips too. Running down to pick up a grandson for over night, going into Janesville for all of the major shopping, out to wife’s Mother and over to the Piggly Wiggly (yes there is such a thing). My wife also prefers to take it when ever she goes alone, too, with friends or whatever. Sure it’s better on gas than her GC but I get to pay for it too, she’s no dummy! That is one of the reason that we bought it, all of the little runs. So I’m sure this has an affect. Then there is the cold weather. I’ve watched the AVG MPG and it’s a little less in the morning at 22 degrees than in the afternoon at 35 degrees. I think that there must be an air temp sensor in the air intake that makes it run richer in colder weather. Any way, that’s my story and I’m sticky to it . MPG is still at or above what the EPA said that it should get, so it’s not a radical drop in mileage, just note worthy. The Compass has had a small “cough” to her 3 times on the cold mornings when I very first start out and only once on each occasion, it never repeats. I’ve found that it’s eliminated if I let her warm up for just a short minute or so.

One more note on the cold weather. With the little bit richer mixture the exhaust sure sound sweet! Certainly makes me think there's some more ponies in there waiting to get out.

I still haven’t noticed the “clicking” noise in the steering column either, yes phil8400, I even turned off the radio and fan and drove around a bank parking lot and I heard nothing. Maybe I had it when it was “newer” and it’s gone now? I can’t answer that.

The RAQ is playing mp3’s just fine now . It was a software problem on my seven year old computer. I did a fresh install of MusicMatch and checked my discs by doing some archiving at work and they were good too. I still get the “The Writer Has Detected A Burn Failure” but all plays just fine in the Compass and on a friends computer so I think it may be something with the DVD-r or some software conflicts. May be time for a new computer (too bad, huh ). The only things that are original are the case, motherboard, floppy and power supply and it’s just past the end of its expected lifetime. Thanks to blank0 and lynnk for letting me know that their RAQ’s were doing fine.

This is really my only complaint : I detest those iddy biddy cup holders that they’ve stuck on the floor in never, never land! I did say that I liked the storage on the passenger side in the Caliber more than the Compass. I take that back! I’ll be looking for those cup holders that fit in the window channel on the door panels to hook on to the cubby/bin above the glove compartment even if I need to use Velcro to make sure that they stay put. That would be much easier to get at than on the floor. Also, if you have the arm rest all the way forward you can’t even get to the rear cup holder and the front one is awkward at best. They can’t be too hard to find, I just need to go shopping.

Speaking of the Caliber, there were some threads over there that some were complaining about the rear window washer dripping after it was shut off. I don’t seem to have a problem with that, I let the wiper run for a minute or so but I don’t see any drips.

All in all I still love my Compass as much as ever. Those heated seats that you can feel within 3 minutes on a cold morning, a great heater that puts out toasty air in no time at all, better visibility than I had grown accustomed to, a very decent ride, handling, get up and go and gas mileage, easy to read and see gauges, great headlights, plenty of room for hauling a real variety of stuff.

So now that I’ve been shooting my mouth off a lot and posting pictures when I could, I’d like to see some pictures of other members Compass’s. If you can’t do attachments yet, either start writing more to get your posts up to the minimum OR spend less than you would on a tank of gas and upgrade to a SUPPORTER! It’s quick, easy and lets you post pictures and even get email at hotmail, yahoo and the other free email site so that you don’t have to go through your work for notifications and the like. For those out there that don't feel like they're driving a "real" Jeep, at least you can be a Jeep supporter.

I may not be posting much more on this thread unless something major happens. I do plan on putting in my two cents worth on other threads if I have useful information or if I need some help.

Gramps.

Last edited by Gramps; 11-01-2006 at 08:20 PM..
Unread 11-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #41
TimeTraveler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Keep on Truck'n

Gramps, keep it up. I don't know when I'll get my Compass, and there are not too many long term test reports on the net. I'll add in once I finally get on the road, since you have already heard of my BMW reports. I appreciate yours and everyone’s comments.

Thanks, and keep us up to date.

GEO
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #42
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTraveler
Gramps, keep it up. I don't know when I'll get my Compass, and there are not too many long term test reports on the net. I'll add in once I finally get on the road, since you have already heard of my BMW reports. I appreciate yours and everyone’s comments.

Thanks, and keep us up to date.

GEO
Thanks Geo,

I still have the crummy weather coming up so I do expect to report some more good news. I'll report the bad if it happens too.

I hope that you, Mel and whoever else has one on order gets theirs soon so that you can start enjoying them too!!!!

Gramps
Unread 11-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #43
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Slightly Adverse Driving conditions

Showers, freezing rain, slush topped with 2” of wet, heavy snow didn’t seem to matter at all to the Compass. I locked in the 4WD and left from work with no problems at all. (The 4WD T handle doesn't stay up, just the 4WD light under the Transmission Range Indicator in the Tachometer cluster lights up).

Heavy traffic leaving work, everybody was driving really slow, we only did about 20 – 25 going out of town. No problems with starting, stopping, (a couple of traffic lights) corners or hills, just nothing. No white knuckle driving and have I mentioned the heated seats? (OK, fine!). The more out of town and the lighter that traffic became we all picked up speed, up to 35 mostly and 40 in a couple of places. The roads had cleared a little but still could have been a problem in my old truck. A nice thing about the CVT is that with out gears to change, the back end (or whatever) doesn’t slide around as you pick up speed and it doesn’t “down shift” going up hills either. Smoooooth! It was just a long drive home because of the low speed but there were no problems. The tires really seemed to grip well too. Tire pressure was at 33/34 and the mpg didn’t really drop off either.

So, for me, driving in this stuff is no longer like taking a trip to “Six Flags” and riding the spin and barf. The packed snow, soft deep snow and ice is yet to come and if today was any indication at all, it won’t be a big deal.

This was another “non-event”. It’s a pleasure to drive.

Added note: I should have added that others were sliding around but few crashes. One of my friends was sliding around in the parking lot at work before I left and it was even difficult to walk out to your car; and there was one car off in a ditch on the way home. So what was a non-event for me wasn't so easy on others.

This wet heavy snow was meant for KILLER snowballs and my windshield wipers couldn't return to park position and quit until I cleared the snow away when first turned on. I need to get a brush to take car of that and to clean the snow from the top edge of the roof. The snow that fell in would not have been caught by slush mats but of course they would have helped with what I drug in on my feet. I would like the window shade/rain guard things too but, being on the door, would not have stopped the snow from falling in.

Last edited by Gramps; 11-11-2006 at 06:54 AM..
Unread 11-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #44
Rbongirl

(I lived in S. Oregon for 12 years, believe me they are mountains with some very fast corners and with the rain it’s white knuckle driving!) .

I lived in the Pacific Northwest too! Western Washington though...Bellingham (on US/Canadian border) and Bellevue (next to Seattle).

It's nice to see good reviews on the Compass. I get so sick and tired of reading bad ones simply because it has FWD!

Kel
Rbongirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #45
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbongirl
(I lived in S. Oregon for 12 years, believe me they are mountains with some very fast corners and with the rain it’s white knuckle driving!) .

I lived in the Pacific Northwest too! Western Washington though...Bellingham (on US/Canadian border) and Bellevue (next to Seattle).

It's nice to see good reviews on the Compass. I get so sick and tired of reading bad ones simply because it has FWD!

Kel
Kel,

SOME PEOPLE refuse to accept it for what it is. Hey, Jeep made a car, GREAT!!! They also made the Jeepster, postal vans and I'm not completely sure what else. And Willy's made the Jeep, it was a car company. It helps to cover Jeep on the CAFE standards so that they can keep selling their gas guzzlers for the off the road fans. We're doing them a favor for using them as intended and they resent us. They just don't get it!! Most of those that post the hate mail are only here to antagonize so just ignore them. I place zero value on their opinion. Besides, you know what these fools say before they die? "Hey. watch this".

Bought my Challenger from a guy in Bellingham, it originally was sold by a dealer in Bellevue. Left Seattle with my '64 Imperial chase car heading back to Grants Pass and a cop pulled me over to ogle the car just out of Tacoma. What a laugh, he had his head in threw the passengers side talking to me face to face about the car and telling me to drive careful. I'm still laughing!

Keep the faith, there are some good people here and we'll all just keep going forward!

Gramps

Last edited by Gramps; 11-10-2006 at 07:51 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.