Compass owner review - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass owner review

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-09-2006, 08:59 AM   #16
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

[QUOTE=Kev M]
Initial impressions were that power was anemic at best, though PART of that is likely just being unfamiliar with a CVT. Your mind is waiting to hear the shifts that just don't seem to come. Once off the line the vehicle moves well enough, but there is a certain lack of excitement or entertainment factor that you get with a better power-to-weight ratio and maybe the ability to clutch and shift.

[B]A little anemic that seems to have changed with my driving habits[/B]

I find myself somewhat skeptical to believe the 2k tow rating
, and this could be important as we currently have a 1500 lbs or so rig (boat, motor, trailer) that we MIGHT need the Compass to serve occassional tow duty for if we get rid of the XJ (which we need to do finiancially if we get a new vehicle at this time).

I find that questionable too with the CVT, maybe the 5spd. I think that we need a clarification from DC.

Initial impression also left me unimpressed with the Boston Accoustics speaker package.

Kev, this really suprised me. After I tweeked mine in it's awesome, at least to me.

Ride quality was good enough, about what you'd expect from a compact cross-over. However there was more road noise than I would have liked. Perhaps it's the type of tires mounted on those 18 in. wheels, but when I got out I had to look through the wheels to the brake calipers/pads to see if by some miricle a backing plate was grinding on a rotor. I suspect it is something I'd get used to and no notice after some time, but my initial impression was one of annoyance.

I thought that most of the road noise came from the tires. I went without tunes the first several days and didn't hear any grinding type of noise. Maybe it was "new" pieces wearing in???? Doesn't sound good reguardless.

Overall I give the vehicle a B+ or A- for mostly meeting my desires and expectations, at a reasonable price.

Great revue! Thanks for another opinon, it gives me things to be aware of and maybe helps some one else know what to expect. If we are doing a "rating" system, I'd give mine a solid B even though I love it. It's no Challenger or Rubicon or whatever anybodys favorite is but, I feel that is above avarage in most respects as a daily driver with some great safty devices and the capibility to go beyond.

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #17
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampsmopar

[B]A little anemic that seems to have changed with my driving habits[/B][B]
I'm certain that played a part in it, even though I was consciously trying to keep my foot on the pedal and ignore the fact that my brain was listening for shifts.

Honestly, and I think I left this out of my last post, it might just have been coming off the line that felt a bit anemic. I think it was fine once into what would have been the 2nd gear+ speed range.

I also suspect that a 5-speed would mostly solve this for me.

Quote:

Quote:
From Kev
Initial impression also left me unimpressed with the Boston Accoustics speaker package.
Kev, this really suprised me. After I tweeked mine in it's awesome, at least to me.

That's good to hear. It was a short test and I wasn't cocentrating on the radio. I should have futzed with it some more. Maybe the speakers are better once adjusted for even more bass, I didn't push the bass and midrange up too far, nor really the volume (I had the swarmy sales guy sitting behind us).

Quote:

I thought that most of the road noise came from the tires. I went without tunes the first several days and didn't hear any grinding type of noise. Maybe it was "new" pieces wearing in???? Doesn't sound good reguardless.
I'm sure it was my head playing tricks on me, probably just tire/road noise.

So, honestly, how much road noise would you rate it?

I found it at least as loud as my XJ (which is much louder than my old WJ as).

Honestly, I would have liked it a little more quiet.

I LIKE it, I can't say I'm enamored with it or GOTTA have it, but it's darn close to everything I want, so it might wind up in the driveway.

Kev
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #18
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Road noise:
Kev, I'm really not sure if I can give a very valid opinion on that. These are the first skinny side walls that I've ever had. I didn't find it intrusive even with out the Stereo on and the windows down. I have lost some mid range in my hearing (target practice, Drags, Aircraft assembly, Rock concerts, etc), so maybe I just can't hear the same things that you do. With the windows up, the A/C on and the tunes at a moderate level (ha, ha) everything is wonderful.

Off the line Anemia:
No doubt the 5spd will solve that problem. Even I'd like more off the line but it's acceptable for all of the traffic conditions I've had so far. 0 - 60 in 10 seconds isn't going to impress anybody. You gotta ask yourself if you need more than that.

Last edited by Gramps; 08-09-2006 at 12:00 PM..
Unread 08-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #19
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:

0 - 60 in 10 seconds isn't going to impress anybody. You gotta ask yourself if you need more than that.
Not looking to impress anyone, just move my family around in relative comfort and safety.

Occassionally (couple times a year) tow a small boat or a small utility trailer.

Go skiing in the winter.

Commutte when it's POURING rain or snowy and icey.

Go on a couple family trips.

that's all

Can't see it being a problem with all that.

Kev
Unread 08-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #20
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Sound setting. The "tinniness" maybe comes from being so close to the Tweeters in the dash. Keep in mind my hearing deficiencies but, here are my setting: Bas -5; Mid range neutral; Treble -3; Balance L5; Fader R4. If you look at the system again these setting may get you started. Once you cut back on the treble and put the fader to the rear the Bas REALLY BOOMS! The balance is on L5 because my leg blocks the speaker when it's just me.
No matter what you end up getting I hope that your company buys your XJ and lets you keep it untill it's replacement comes in. Riding a Bike in PA snow around Christmas time can't be much fun.
Unread 08-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #21
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Sound setting. The "tinniness" maybe comes from being so close to the Tweeters in the dash. Keep in mind my hearing deficiencies but, here are my setting: Bas -5; Mid range neutral; Treble -3; Balance L5; Fader R4. If you look at the system again these setting may get you started. Once you cut back on the treble and put the fader to the rear the Bas REALLY BOOMS! The balance is on L5 because my leg blocks the speaker when it's just me.
No matter what you end up getting I hope that your company buys your XJ and lets you keep it untill it's replacement comes in. Riding a Bike in PA snow around Christmas time can't be much fun.

I think I had the treble up a little too much still, and I should have fadded it more. I'll have to try again

We've had some really mild winters and I have no problem riding through most of em, but when there is active snow on the road or ice, then it's time to put the bike away for a week or two.

I'll report back if we buy one!

Thanks for the info.

Kev
Unread 08-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #22
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
I find myself somewhat skeptical to believe the 2k tow rating, and this could be important as we currently have a 1500 lbs or so rig (boat, motor, trailer) that we MIGHT need the Compass to serve occasional tow duty for if we get rid of the XJ (which we need to do financially if we get a new vehicle at this time). Kev

Trailer Tow Prep Package moves the Compass up to 2000 lb towing capacity. It consists of: Engine Oil Cooler and Trailer Tow Wiring Harness. Factory installed - $130.
Looks like for the receiver, you're on you own. No listing yet.

A note to all: I've been editing my first post in this forum to update a few things that I've found out since I've had my Compass and if it's been a while since you've read it you may want to skim over it once in a while.

Last edited by Gramps; 08-12-2006 at 06:39 PM..
Unread 08-14-2006, 07:19 AM   #23
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Trailer Tow Prep Package moves the Compass up to 2000 lb towing capacity. It consists of: Engine Oil Cooler and Trailer Tow Wiring Harness. Factory installed - $130.
Looks like for the receiver, you're on you own. No listing yet.

A note to all: I've been editing my first post in this forum to update a few things that I've found out since I've had my Compass and if it's been a while since you've read it you may want to skim over it once in a while.

Yup, well aware of the prep package, it was included in our original quote.

K
Unread 08-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #24
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01JeepXJ
Were did you buy It from? I have been looking everywere for one in Milwaukee area.

Looks awesome though My parents want to get one.
Go look in my gallery, there's the window sticker with the dealer name, etc at the bottom. No I didn't pay MSRP, this is the BEST dealer that I have EVER delt with!!!

That's WEIRD! My reply posted before your question 01JeepXJ! God, I love computers!!
Unread 08-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #25
01JeepXJ

Were did you buy It from? I have been looking everywere for one in Milwaukee area.

Looks awesome though My parents want to get one.
**SOLD **
01JeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2006, 04:05 PM   #26
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

01JeepXJ
Go into Jeep.com and do an inventory search for 53711 (Madison) or 53536 (Evansville). Don't know quite what your looking for or how far you want to drive but just from those zips there were 5 Sport and Limited 4X2, and 15 Sport and Limited 4X4. Good luck! Your parents may love one as much as we love ours.

From your number of posts you probably knew all of this already but, maybe someone else doesn't know how to do the search.

Last edited by Gramps; 08-16-2006 at 06:37 AM..
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:19 PM   #27
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here's the online version of the Car and Driver review. Good set of photos and more specs, etc. Opinions are a dime a dozen.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...mited-4x4.html

Last edited by Gramps; 09-05-2006 at 05:14 AM..
Unread 09-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #28
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The Road Trip.

First of all, the Compass ran flawlessly, absolutely no problems at all. Road noise was minimal except over rough roads and where they had it grooved for new pavement as you would expect. Summer is road construction time everywhere. We only used the A/C when it was raining and down below Flagstaff (107 in Tucson) on the trip down. Coming back home, no A/C at all. The weather was actually in our favor almost all of the time so we just ran with the windows down. We were also fully loaded both going down and coming back with “treasures” for friends and family.

I never babied it to try and get the miles per gallon up; I drove like I would drive anything. I usually do about 5 mph over the posted limit so that I don’t get run over and go with the flow. I always use the first rule of defensive driving “leave yourself an out” so if I needed to kick it in the gas to get out in the open, I did (I don’t like being packed in with a mile long group of Semis). Cruise control worked great on slight to moderate hills but I had to help it a little at 80 mph on the steeper ones. There was no more than a 2 mph gain on even the steepest down hill runs. Speedometer was right on the money through the many speed checks. The AVG MPG in the instrument cluster was from 1 ½ to 2 mpg on the high side.

I had the oil changed at Quality Chrysler/Jeep in Albuquerque and they were great. Mine was the first that they had ever serviced and the tech guys really went over it and gave it a top to bottom inspection. Great people if you’re in the area. I was asked a lot of questions by the sales staff and potential customers both, as well as other people along the trip.

We saw no other Compasses on the road and about a dozen Calibers; we were easy to find in the parking lots.

Final note to those who need it: you will NEVER get you best mileage running at 80 mile per hour. Look at the round trip from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon and back. It’s a posted 60 – 65 mph (which I did), flat (high plains), smooth road and I hit 27.60. I hit the same mpg from Las Cruces to Roswell which is kind of down hill or flat. (The only alien there was me).

I’m very pleased with my Compass and I’m glad that I bought it.

I’ve eliminated the around Tucson mpg because that’s not a “road trip” and because someone stole about 3 gallons from me while I was there.
start 1510
Litchfield IL 1800 289.3 11.345 25.50mpg 70
Spfield MO 2053 253.1 10.856 23.31mpg 75 Hills
Joplin MO 2133 80.20 2.919 27.48mpg 75 Hills
Calumet OK 2389 255.4 11.438 22.33mpg 75 Rain and Hills
Amarillo TX 2611 222.0 8.847 25.09mpg 80 Flat
Albuquerque 2890 278.7 10.83 25.73mpg 80 Flat
Houck AZ 3075 184.8 7.293 25.33mpg 80 Flat
Flagstaff 3223 148.3 6.99 21.21mpg 80 Hills
Flagstaff 3385 161.6 5.856 27.60mpg Flat 60 – 65
Tucson 3640 255.5 11.018 23.19mpg 45min ideling with A/C (wreck on I-10 in Phoenix)
Tucson 3743 102.6 Gas stolen Tucson
Las Cruces 4013 270.1 11.512 23.46mpg 75 Rain and Hills
Roswell 4212 198.5 7.192 27.60mpg 80 Flat
Hereford TX 4393 181.1 6.975 25.96mpg 80 Hills
Clinton OK 4616 222.3 8.395 26.48mpg 80 Flat
Joplin 4907 291.0 11.238 25.89mpg 80 Hills
Cuba MO 5105 198.0 8.754 22.61mpg 75 Hills
El Paso IL 5374 269.6 10.366 26.00mpg 70 Flat
Finish 5535 160.0 6.546 24.44mpg 70 Flat

Total Miles minus Tucson 3915.7
Total Gallons 158.37
Avg MPG 24.72
1st half to Tucson 2130 miles/87.392 gal 24.37mpg
2nd half from Tucson 1792 miles/70.978 gal 25.24mpg
Unread 09-13-2006, 08:51 AM   #29
Kev M
2012 WK 

Wow, thanks for the great detailed report.

K
Unread 09-16-2006, 07:37 PM   #30
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF
Web Wheeler

Your gas got stolen in tucson?? That is the craziest thing I have ever heard!
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.