From a Compass to a Liberity...maybe - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > From a Compass to a Liberity...maybe

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 09-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
x96mnn
2008 KK Liberty 

From a Compass to a Liberity...maybe

So had my compass in today for its 45000KM maintenance and they found a few things wrong. Outer TRs, control arms, and adjustment bars in the back if that makes since. The back struts and strut mounts needed to be replaced last visit.

The Compass was a great rig, I put a lot of travel miles on it over some rough roads (about 35K) so the part are ok in my mind plus warranty covered it. I am concerned though that I only have 15K left on warranty (Us CDN customers are not as valued as our US counterparts, yes I am bitter, not at you but the company for doing this) and I want to haul a travel trailer. After I found out the parts that went into it I talked with a sales and they are dieing to move the liberty or any other gas eater and gave me a sweet deal and has me thinking of doing a swap. Long/Short, base was 31K, giving 17K trade and 3K off sticker.

I love my compass but a new rig, 100K warranty and my drving has changed so the gas is not a huge concern has me thinking.

Your thoughts.

Last edited by x96mnn; 09-23-2008 at 06:21 PM..
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I like the new Liberty's! If I was interested in more performance and towing capacity instead of mpg it would have been on my list but I do think about them. Wife likes them too but likes her Grand more. The oldest daughter has the first generation and her mileage sucks, the second gens may be better. Let us know what you find out.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
ups4
2008 KK Liberty 

I drive an 08 Liberty and I love it. I traded my 06 Liberty on it, which I loved also. I traded my 03 on the 06, and loved that one too .
The differences I see are mainly the KK feels and drives a little "beefier". I like the new exterior look, but the interior is somewhat ummm...cheap looking. Hard plastic everywhere, but not as bad as my wife's Compass. I did see the new 09 Patriot/Compass in person today at the dealership, and I must admit the new interiors are 100% improved.

The KK gets about the same gas mileage as the Liberty...around 16-17 mpg combined for me. It's not great, but for the 210 hp the 3.7L generates, it's not bad. The KK doesn't seem quite as "peppy" as the KJ, mainly I suppose due to the increased weight.

This vehicle is my daily driver and I haven't, and don't intend to, modify it for off roading. It's just fun to drive...as most Jeeps are.

Paul
ups4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
x96mnn
2008 KK Liberty 

Made the switch today....Wife is not overly happy as she wanted a Santa Fe but I just could not do it!

I am hoping the gas does not kill me too much but calculated about an extra 100 a month based on the driving I do now compared to the Compass.

I do not have enough good things to say about the compass, it served its purpose and was able to take me the places I go off road but needed a rig to haul a camper and just could not see the compass doing that on extended trips with out doing damage and only 15K left in warranty (which is about 8 to 9 months driving for me) the switch seemed best.

Friend of mine from work plans on stopping in to buy my compass tomorrow!
Unread 09-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
ups4
2008 KK Liberty 

Glad to hear it . What color did you get?

I think you'll be happy with the Liberty. It's bigger than the Compass, and rides much higher. My wife likes that about my Liberty....compared to her Compass. But she prefers her little grocery getter...which is fine with me.

Good luck with it.

Paul
Unread 09-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
x96mnn
2008 KK Liberty 

Got the Modern Blue Pearlcoat
Unread 09-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Autocar
2011 KJ Liberty 

I had an 08 Compass 5 speed for 3 months, hated it, poor ride & handling qualities among other things traded it for an 08 Patriot, big difference. The patriot is everything the compass is not.
Autocar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Different strokes for different folks. The Compass has it's own attributes but with the same MK chassis they really aren't that different.

Unread 10-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
x96mnn
2008 KK Liberty 

Quick Update

Gas mileage when I am driving is 24 to 25 mpg compared to the 27 to 28 in the compass. I changed my driving habits a lot though, compass when merging was brought up to speed quickly while I let the liberty pull at a slower rate keeping the RPM below 2000. As well there are two ways to get to work, one cuts through town and one is highway which in the compass I never really thought about which way but in the liberty I always take the highway. With that said when my wife is driving the Liberty she only gets 18 to 19 MPG but she cracks on it...always in a rush.

She still does not like it, her feet can’t touch the floor LOL...I love it though!
Unread 10-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
ups4
2008 KK Liberty 

Wow...24 mpg with the Liberty? You must have the manual tranny....right?

I can barely squeak out 17 mpg with the automatic, and I drive it like an old geezer....well, most of the time . Wait a minute, I AM an old geezer, jeeze.

Well anyway, that's darn good mileage. Glad to hear it.

Paul
Unread 10-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #11
Autocar
2011 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Different strokes for different folks. The Compass has it's own attributes but with the same MK chassis they really aren't that different.
I must disagree with your statement. After 6 weeks with the Patriot, I must say that it is everything the Compass is not. Superior ride & handling.I am even enjoying the CVT - 2 over the 5 speed. All the reviews that I read about the Compass & Patriot [after buying the Compasss] said those exact words & they were 100% correct.
Autocar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocar View Post
I must disagree with your statement. After 6 weeks with the Patriot, I must say that it is everything the Compass is not. Superior ride & handling.I am even enjoying the CVT - 2 over the 5 speed. All the reviews that I read about the Compass & Patriot [after buying the Compasss] said those exact words & they were 100% correct.
You keep repeating yourself. Are you just trying to build up your number of posts or start a trolling campaign?

I have over 37K on mine with a lift and many other extras and I am very satisfied with my Compass as are many other owners.

If you prefer the Patriot over the Compass that's fine but tell the Patriots attributes not just run down the Compass because you got a hold of a bad one. We also had a very unhappy Patriot owner that eventually bought a Liberty. I only hope that you don't have the flapping hood and roof leaks that others have experienced.

Unread 11-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
snowboard49dude
2005 KJ Liberty 

I love my liberty. It has got my through alot, snow/mud/heavy rain etc. I work at a ski resort in the winter that is about 60 miles round trip and worked 2-3 times a week and have put over 12000 miles on it and had it since December 24th of last year, it was in the shop once for its usual check-up and to get new tires on it. I have had no problems with it but yes the mileage does SUCK, I get about 15-16mpg city and 18-20 highway mpg.

to the OP who started the thread...........get a liberty lol
snowboard49dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #14
Urr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocar View Post
After 6 weeks with the Patriot, I must say that it is everything the Compass is not. Superior ride & handling.I am even enjoying the CVT - 2 over the 5 speed. All the reviews that I read about the Compass & Patriot [after buying the Compasss] said those exact words & they were 100% correct.
I think this may not be an objective statement.

First, if both are FDI and both have the same engine and the same gearbox, then they are compearable. I don't know any differences then, except the body shape, which gives the Compass better MPG and more space inside for Patriot. Other things are the same, aren't they?

Secondly, reviews... Basically the vehicle is driven by a journalist for a very short period of time (some hours?), he doesn't know or can handle correctly the vehicle, but sure has to say something about it... for example, I read an opinion about the Patriot (FDI), which said "the vehicle could not handle the easiest sand and got stuck immediately, all lights blinking in the dashboard...". If you know the vehicle, then you know, that "all lights blinking" means, that the ESP and all the other three-letter-things were switched on, and the journalist did not even know, that they can (and should) be swiched off in such situation.

Anyway, I think, an objective opinion can be heard from a man, who has driven a vehicle for at least a year (i.e. in every season) and has sold it at least three months ago, so all his emotions have been cooled off . (And preferably he drives now a different vehicle, not a new model of the same vehicle.).
But such men are hard to find, and I, for sure, am not one of them, because I still drive my Compass and therefore have a not-objective opinion about it
In bright and happy future: Jeep Wrangler
Urr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
Urr

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
She still does not like it, her feet can’t touch the floor LOL...I love it though!
You should be glad, she can't hit the pedal to the floor then
In bright and happy future: Jeep Wrangler
Urr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.