Compass Ignition System - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass Ignition System

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-29-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
Kev M
2012 WK 

Compass Ignition System

Well, thanks to Gramps do we have an answer to the Ignition System question?

If you check out the pics on the last page of the closed Plastic Engine Cover thread here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...51#post2971751

can you draw any conclusions.

Unfortunately there are not shots down at the top of the valve cover, so there is no direct view of the ignition components.

HOWEVER, unless I'm missing something I can't find hide nor hair of a distributor cap. And that really shouldn't surprise me, as I would guess the number of vehicles with distributor caps has dwindled to a handful these days. So it would make perfect sense that this new world-motor would be Direct Ignition.

Anyone pull their cover off and want to confirm.

On a related note last night my daughter was sick (poor little girl was throwing up every 20-30 minutes for about 6 hours ) and so I had time to kill. So I tried looking for more information on this motor.

Didn't actually succeed, but I noticed something interesting at the Mitsubishi site.

Previously I had speculated as to whether or not this motor had been around prior to the Compass or if it was ALL NEW. I had visited the Mitsu website and noticed a 2.4L in both the Outlander and the Lancer.

Gramps had wondered if that was a new for 07 Outlander and I didn't have the answer at the time. But with the new updated Mistu website it appears that I can no confirm that it WAS NOT the new Outlander, as the new model now on their website is V6 only.

It doesn't answer whether this 2.4L motor is ALL new or based on a previous generation motor for sure, but it does keep the door open for that possibility.

Kev

Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
alwayslearnin

This link should clear up any questions. Happy reading!

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html
alwayslearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
mealso

On the top of the motor below the cover you will find 4 coils bolted in place on top of the spark plugs.I have a picture but am unable to attach it in this forum.
mealso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslearnin
This link should clear up any questions. Happy reading!

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

alwayslearnin,

Kev M wanted to extend his appreciation for the link

"If you donít mind, would you be so kind as to post on my Ignition thread and say that I wanted to say thanks to the guy who posted that great link. Obviously itís coil over (direct) ignition, so no spark plug wires! And obviously that motor has NOTHING to do with the previous generation Outlander.

Kev

Gramps
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
Kev M
2012 WK 

Thanks for handling that for me gramps.

Yeah, the pics from Allpar showed it pretty clearly (photo on the right, follow up from the visible spark plug in the cutaway...ok I edited it for clarity).

and of course

I also like the plastic variable intake set-up.

Much of the design of this motor gives me warm and fuzzies for Jeep!

And the partnership is just smart for everyone involved.

Lower development costs, lower production costs, probably will equal cheaper replacement parts in the future too!!!

Ya know, that's a silver lining for those who complain that Jeep shouldn't be sharing a platform.

The more shared platforms, the more choices of accessories and the cheaper the repair parts!!!

Kev

Last edited by Kev M; 12-01-2006 at 01:24 PM..
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.