Compass on ICE!!! (2006-07) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass on ICE!!! (2006-07)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 01-16-2007, 06:08 AM   #1
BuzzDog

Compass on ICE!!! (2006-07)

While growing up in the deep South I wouldn't have appreciated the need for having a separate thread for ice versus snow, but I now know better!

Of course, I'm not referring to roads covered in solid ice, but I had my first experience with quite a bit of patchy ice yesterday. My Compass - and I've got FWD - performed flawlessly. I'm still not totally sure if the ESP provides any assist unless you are headed toward a rollover, but SOMETHING kicked in to help me out when I drove over a small icy patch at approximately 20 miles per hour. I felt a slight "bump" - and absolutely no sense of going in any direction except for straight ahead, which is what I wanted.

The ABS works well, too. I live at the top of a hill, and as usual there was a 2-foot wide patch of ice at the bottom of the hill, about 20 to 30 feet before a stop sign. I usually don't sweat about this, because for years I've just started braking about 100 feet ahead of the patch, let it slide slowly over the foot or two of ice, and then use the remaining 20 to 30 feet to come to a complete stop. Yesterday, I didn't feel any sliding, and definitely didn't feel any "fishtailing."

Looks like the Compass is a keeper; I can only imagine how well AWD would do in this sort of weather. Anyone else have some good experiences to report in patchy ice?

BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Yup, mine does well on patchy ice too. We always seem to get snow, then melt and then freeze up again over night, with or without a topping of snow. The ABS has kicked in a few times on me, always stopped straight with no problems. I did have 2 little rear end slides yesterday, but no back and forth fishtailing. Both were when I was turning on to a side road with about 4 inches of unplowed snow. We are talking minimal here. If there had been another car at the stop sign there was no chance that I would have slid into them. Everything was straightened out with in a few feet.

Love it!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
snikr

I took the wife's Compass to work Sunday night and the snow/ice storm hit. The drive home was slow but the Jeep handled it without a hitch. Didn't even have to look in the 4x4. I love the AWD.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

the compass handles great on the ice. majority of vehicles here run studded tires due to the fact that the ice builds up on the roads and then thats all u are driving on. dont got studded tires and have yet to slip on any ice. love the awd and esp! ever see a trail rated jeep liberty get stuck in a driveway and then a compass get thru? i have, hillarious!
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
BuzzDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07compasssport
...ever see a trail rated jeep liberty get stuck in a driveway and then a compass get thru...
Thanks SO much for posting this!

Sorry to stray a bit off-topic, but you know, I've long since grown tired of the folks who criticize the Compass for not being a "real Jeep," ignoring the fact that we all see the vast majority of "Trail Rated" Jeeps being used for such "back to nature" activities as cruising the college bar district at night, making runs to the home center or delivering the kids to the soccer field. Indeed, one of the first line extensions that Willys made to the Jeep line was the Jeepster; if you look at the old ads you'll see that these were primarily pitched to women as a errand-running vehicle. Also forgotten is the fact that Willys built CARS in the U.S. through the 1955 model year.

Offroad Jeeps have their place, and I plan on buying a vintage one once I sell the classic car I've been restoring for the past few years (alas, it wears a bowtie). But in my case the Compass lived up to its mission as defined by DCX, which is to bring buyers into the fold who may not have previously considered owning a Jeep-branded vehicle. That certainly describes me!

But back to the issue of how it performs in bad weather: It makes me feel good knowing that our "lowly" Compasses are extremely competent at delivering the driver safely to his or her destination safely and inexpensively - which, if I'm not mistaken, was the mission of the original Willys Jeep.

Last edited by BuzzDog; 01-17-2007 at 05:53 PM..
Unread 01-17-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Since this is a Forum, everybody has a right to their opinion. However, if it falls under either of these classifications, it's time for a Moderator to step in. Those kinds of postings do not promote the JeepForum in general and certainly dissuade visitors from actually joining the Forum.

Flaming
Troll

Although the Compass Forum has no Moderator assigned to it, if you suspect that a post is either intended for flaming or trolling it can be reported to any Administrator or Moderator for them to investigate. NAILER341, Jerry Bransford, Blake and NaeKid are just a couple that have helped in the past. You can find others listed on the HOME page.

Last edited by Gramps; 01-17-2007 at 08:33 AM..
Unread 01-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
BuzzDog

Thanks, Gramps...hope MY comments weren't out of line, but I do feel a bit passionately when it comes to defending the right of the Compass to exist.

I often see flame in other forum sections. Maybe I'm being sensitive, but I recently read the following comment in the Patriot section: "At any rate it looks a lot better than that compass, which doesn't deserve to wear a Jeep badge."

Hmm...if the Compass performs better than other Jeeps in the ice and snow, what sort of badge does it deserve to wear?
Unread 01-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDog
Thanks, Gramps...hope MY comments weren't out of line, but I do feel a bit passionately when it comes to defending the right of the Compass to exist.

I often see flame in other forum sections. Maybe I'm being sensitive, but I recently read the following comment in the Patriot section: "At any rate it looks a lot better than that compass, which doesn't deserve to wear a Jeep badge."

Hmm...if the Compass performs better than other Jeeps in the ice and snow, what sort of badge does it deserve to wear?
You're comments were not out of line. There were a lot of these kind of comments in the older threads. I had to really think about joining the Forum myself but then thought how is anybody going to know the truth unless somebody spoke out in favor of the Compass. So I took the chance that there were some people out there that may want some real information and joined and bought an upgraded membership just to post pictures and went from there. I've also had others express how angry they get with all of the comments that have "no value add" to them. I too get very defensive when someone plays the troll! If you look at Jeep history there have been a lot of models that some have said "shouldn't wear the Jeep badge". All that I can say is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that it's more General Purpose that many of the others that I've seen.

I LOVE my Compass!!

Last edited by Gramps; 01-18-2007 at 04:36 AM..
Unread 11-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #9
Urr

My opinion is, that Compass handles very well on ice, almost like a RWD (which is FUN ), but with better grip.

But this better grip might give you false confidence --- although 4WD launches better, turns better, it still stops just as long (time/way) as any 2WD.

"brakes are the death of speed, avoid using them"
In bright and happy future: Jeep Wrangler
Urr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #10
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

it depends on your definition of "real" jeep. if it's a short wheelbase, 4x4, live axle rig, then the only current "real jeep" is the wrangler, seeing as everything else has independent front suspension. by that definition, the last of the "real" jeeps were the 90's cherokees and grand cherokees, and of course the wrangler. i'm not crazy about the compass, as it's based on the caliber, and that's a whole different rant. i also liked the grand cherokee better when it didn't share underpinnings with a durango. if it gets you home, it's a jeep. and that's what's important, isn't it?

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.