Compass Heater Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass Heater Issues

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 12-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
rjterry32

Compass Heater Issues

I have a 2007 Limited and here lately we have been having 10°-25° weather around here. I know at normal temps the needle should be at the halfway point but mine never gets there with this cold weather. It gets about half way between the 1/4 and 1/2 way marks. This in turn affects the heat output a little because I drive an hour to work and the temp never gets any higher and I have to keep the heater speed all the way on high so it doesn't start getting cool inside the vehicle (which if the coolant temp would get up to where its supposed to be, this wouldn't be an issue). I popped the hood today and checked my coolant and I noticed that my coolant tank has a little bit of white scaling in the tank mixed in with the coolant. I've only got 23,000 miles on the thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rjterry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

A new thermostat ( inexpensive part ) would probably solve your heating problem. I get our Patriot serviced by a local trusted shop and the owner recommends changing that so called 5 year anti-freeze a lot sooner than 5 years. I'm gonna have our's flushed and replaced next year at 3 years.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
rjterry32

Thanks! I was thinking about doing the same exact thing with the antifreeze and the thermostat. I was just wanting to see if anyone has had this problem and what exact fix they done. Thanks again.
Unread 12-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

We've run into this in years past and just figured it was pretty normal. It never hurts to change out the thermostat with a good one (Thompson has always been a favorite) and changing the anti-freeze is good preventative maintenance too.

The white scaling is usually calcium deposits that come from tap water. It may be from condensation because the reservoir does "breath". If you need to add water only use distilled, never tap.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjterry32 View Post
I have a 2007 Limited and here lately we have been having 10°-25° weather around here. I know at normal temps the needle should be at the halfway point but mine never gets there with this cold weather. It gets about half way between the 1/4 and 1/2 way marks. This in turn affects the heat output a little because I drive an hour to work and the temp never gets any higher and I have to keep the heater speed all the way on high so it doesn't start getting cool inside the vehicle (which if the coolant temp would get up to where its supposed to be, this wouldn't be an issue). I popped the hood today and checked my coolant and I noticed that my coolant tank has a little bit of white scaling in the tank mixed in with the coolant. I've only got 23,000 miles on the thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Used to have a Chevy Van that had a similar problem. Because the exhaust manifold had to be removed to replace the thermostat (not very intelligent engineering there) I place a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator which cut down on airflow to the rad. Worked like a charm when it was cold, but if you forgot it there when it warmed up the engine would overheat. If changing the thermostat is not too difficult I would recommend that might as well change the coolant as well. I haven't really looked for the location of the thermostat in my Compass to see how hard it would be to change.
Good luck and hope you get some heat soon.
wesleyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

PRIMARY THERMOSTAT - Gas

1. Partially drain cooling system
2. Remove air filter housing.
3. Disconnect coolant hose (1) from inlet housing (2).
4. Remove inlet housing bolts (3).
5. Remove thermostat assembly, and clean sealing surfaces.

SECONDARY THERMOSTAT - Gas

1. Partially drain cooling system.
2. Remove air filter housing .
3. Disconnect coolant hoses (1) from rear of coolant adapter (2).
4. Remove radiator hose (3).
5. Remove radiator hose (4) from front of coolant adapter (2).
6. Remove coolant adapter mounting bolts.
7. Carefully slide coolant adapter off water pump inlet tube and remove coolant adapter (2) and secondary thermostat.
primary.jpg   secondary.jpg  

Unread 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
rjterry32

Update

Well after taking it backwards and forwards from the dealer (I had to use it a little bit in between) even the dealer has no clue to what is going on with my heating system and temp of the vehicle. So far they have replaced thermostats, flushed coolant and ordered a heater box. Once they got mine out, they checked again and still no fix . Well, once again, I need my jeep for next week (weather has been crappy here) so friday evening I will be dropping it off again and starting the process all over again. Also, I forgot to mention that my brother has a Rallye edition compass, same year, and the weather hasn't been affecting his heating system or even the temp of the vehicle so this in turn would knock out the idea of blocking off the radiator with cardboard.

Last edited by rjterry32; 01-08-2010 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add something
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Keep us informed on what they find. This is a little bit strange since you have another MK so close to check it against without the problem.

Unread 01-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I re-read your first post and your temperature gauge needle is in the same position as mine between 1/4 and 1/2 but our Patriot has sufficient heat even when it was minus 30 C last week. The temperature gauge needle on our 99 Cherokee is at the half way mark but I had to put a new thermostat in that car. It might be possible that there is a restriction somewhere in the hose or control valve to the heater causing the low temperature inside. It certainly is No problem at all to test the temperature of the Coolant when the vehicle reaches operating temperature.

Last edited by miketmx; 01-11-2010 at 10:34 AM..
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That's were my gauge sits too. If I'm on full floor too long I feel like my right foot's about to burn off. It really sounds like the cabin heating system and not the radiator system.

Unread 01-11-2010, 06:01 AM   #11
rjterry32

Another Update

After speaking with my dealer Friday, they decided to order new heater doors and replace them. They said there could be something in there causing one of them to not shut and where it would be bringing in cold air, that side heater door might be whats causing it to feel like the ac is on the passenger side. Well, once again (this is really getting aggrevating taking it back to them w/out them giving me a loaner vehicle), I'll be taking it back to them thurs evening. Probably will get it back Friday or Monday since they said in order to replace the heater doors, they pretty much have to take the dash out and its like a 7-8hr job. Woo hoo!
Unread 01-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
rjterry32

Update

Picked the Compass up yesterday. The dealer said that they had to get Chrysler involved to help out on the situation. They said the system needs a coolant flush (done by them so it gets all the dirty coolant out). They ended up flushing out my heater core really good and said that solved the problem. I went and picked it up and started driving home. Then with great surprise I notice, "hey, it's still doing the same thing". Nothing fixed. So I u-turned in the road and back to the dealer I went. Unfortunately they were not able to get back on it until today. I spoke with the dealer earlier and they said that both the service guy and the service center manager inspected the final work and seen that it was indeed fixed at the time. They told me that until I get the system flushed and new coolant put back in, we'll just have to keep repeating the process of flushing the heater core. I'll give an update next week of how it's doing when I get my system flushed by the stealer .
Unread 01-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

just wondering if you got the problem fixed?
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
rjterry32

Update

Well, I finally got a chance to get the Compass to the dealer today. We've been slammed with bad weather here and couldn't take it to the dealer because we only have 1 4-wheel drive. Wife took the Compass over there today and had them to do the system flush. Well, they fixed the problem by doing that but bent me over and dry lubed it and took me for $150 . They told me before it was going to be around $100 and my wife said the bill had $88 labor. What a bunch of bull. Anyhow, I'm glad though that the problem is fixed. Now I'm awaiting to hear back from them and see if they are going to cover the cover that goes over the handle for the rear hatch (the one with JEEP on it). It has a crack in it and they are seeing if that is covered under warranty and are supposed to get back with me. All in all, they fixed the problem with a system vaccum flush but one way or another, the dealer is gonna find a way to screw you.
Unread 02-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #15
rjterry32

Update

Wow am I heated! My wife just got home with the Compass and it's still doing the same thing. I'm calling the customer service 1-877 line tomorrow. $150 for nothing. It seems that everytime they "fix it" it seems to work until the vehicle is turned off and then it does the same thing all over again. I did get a check engine light yesterday but the local Advance Auto turned it off for me. It said IAT sensor code: PO111. I did get the light when I noticed that my coolant tank was low in which it shouldn't of been because of the service to the heater core. Anyhow, i'm done ranting and I'll once again update when I have more info.

Tags
compass , heater , heater core , patriot , thermostat

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.