Compass Hatchet Job - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass Hatchet Job

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #16
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Patriot fits into the line up...will it be rugged, or more highway geared, like the Compass?[/QUOTE]

I'm looking forward to the Patriot too. Wife needs to replace her GC in the next couple of years and with the price of gas going the way it is... But it will never see off the road unless I'm driving and the wife has had a Valum.

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #17
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampsmopar
I'm looking forward to seeing how the Patriot fits into the line up...will it be rugged, or more highway geared, like the Compass?
I'm looking forward to the Patriot too. Wife needs to replace her GC in the next couple of years and with the price of gas going the way it is... But it will never see off the road unless I'm driving and the wife has had a Valum. [/QUOTE]

It would be nice if it was somewhat a cross between Cherokee (XJ) ruggedness, with the modern technologies and luxuries found in the Compass. However, I think it's going to be more of a cross between the Commander and Compass...more geared towards the on the road fans. Actually I don't think I've ever gone off road, lol, but I just like the tougher off-road looking cars.
itasor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #18
exc911ence

Quote:
I feel too that Jeep finally made something that meets my requirements, like staying on the road!
With all due respect, if staying on the road is a main requirement, why would you have ever wanted a Jeep at all? I don't understand why people who are into cars would even consider a vehicle, however carlike like the Compass, that's so heavily associated with rough-and-tumble off-road trucks. Seems like a major conflict of interest to me.

I think that Jeep needs a compass, but only to direct them back on the right path and away from badge-engineered cars that will ultimately dumb down the brand.
exc911ence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2006, 06:09 AM   #19
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exc911ence
With all due respect, if staying on the road is a main requirement, why would you have ever wanted a Jeep at all? I don't understand why people who are into cars would even consider a vehicle, however carlike like the Compass, that's so heavily associated with rough-and-tumble off-road trucks. Seems like a major conflict of interest to me.

I think that Jeep needs a compass, but only to direct them back on the right path and away from badge-engineered cars that will ultimately dumb down the brand.
I never said that staying on the road was my only purpose just a primary one. If 95% of 4X4 never go off the road, what are all of those people doing with them? Jeeps are known to be tough, rugged and dependable, that's a good quality in anything. Cars have hardly been my only mode of transportation. It's the adverse driving conditions during Fall, Winter and Spring that I need a superior vehicle that can handle those conditions and get reasonable gas mileage during normal road trips that I enjoy. The Compass fits that criteria and besides it's AMERICAN made. I've been all over Southern AZ in 4 X's and Dune Buggies and Bikes, and now I have to screw around with snow and ice. Things change outside but not the person inside.

I also don't believe that this is the "dumbing down" of the Jeep name. The Compass is allowing me to go back to my roots should the opportunity present its self. It certainly gives me more incentive to look for those opportunities. If I was back in Arizona, broiling with the rest of them down there, I would most certainly take advantage of the area. Where I live now just doesn't avail its self to my kind of "fun". I could go on but, I don't want to just do posts giving my autobiography.

No offense taken from your post. It gave me an opportunity to explain myself a little better.

Last edited by Gramps; 08-10-2006 at 06:46 AM..
Unread 08-10-2006, 06:47 AM   #20
Sfisher
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
if staying on the road is a main requirement, why would you have ever wanted a Jeep at all?
I agree! Without off road we'd have just a Chrysler right?
Sfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2006, 06:55 AM   #21
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfisher
I agree! Without off road we'd have just a Chrysler right?
Right and something else may have suited my NEEDS but not my underling DESIRES. Is there such a thing as a "closet off-roader"?
Unread 08-10-2006, 08:42 AM   #22
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
I never said that staying on the road was my only purpose just a primary one. If 95% of 4X4 never go off the road, what are all of those people doing with them? Jeeps are known to be tough, rugged and dependable, that's a good quality in anything. Cars have hardly been my only mode of transportation. It's the adverse driving conditions during Fall, Winter and Spring that I need a superior vehicle that can handle those conditions and get reasonable gas mileage during normal road trips that I enjoy. The Compass fits that criteria and besides it's AMERICAN made. I've been all over Southern AZ in 4 X's and Dune Buggies and Bikes, and now I have to screw around with snow and ice. Things change outside but not the person inside.
Like Gramps, I primarily need something that is road capable, but want something that can handle adverse driving conditions.

I've done a tiny bit of wheeling, in both of my Jeeps (WJ and XJ) over the years, but the primary reason I bought them was for snow, ice and boat towing/family hauling duty.

But there are other reasons to buy them. Styling, amenities, easy to work on maintain, plethora of aftermarket parts and the fact that they are just plain fun.

To wonder why someone would want a Jeep and not want to offroad is to wonder why someone would want a Porsche and not take it to the track, or wonder why someone would buy a Hummer (H2 or H3) that really isn't all that good off-road, or someone would buy a Harley in race-replica colors when "racing" a Harley is freakin' joke by todays standards.

I'm NOT advocating style OVER substance, but some points can be allowed for style.

With the possible exception of towing, I'm betting the Compass can do 99% of what I do with my XJ, just getting about 10 mpg more on average and perhaps allowing for a more comfortable ride. Where's the downside for my life?

And before you suggest buying something else then, I've spent a decade and a half in the tech side of the automotive industry. I spent years driving anything I wanted to from the manufacturer's press fleets. I'd never bought a new vehicle for myself in my life until the WJ came out and then I had to have one. And now, I've compared EVERYTHING in the market that comes close to my needs and desires and the Compass is right there on top. I'm only considering ONE other brand/model, and the Compass is still better equipped with toys for the price. I wish I could convince myself that it will be as rugged as a Jeep, cause that would probably push me over the top.

Kev
Kev M is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #23
earlycj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB214
I may be a little old school with my love of solid axles, manual transmissions, and the 4.0 engine that chrysler never liked because it was designed by AMC, but I know my jeep history. The Jeepster commando for example, was a 2wd car made by Kaiser Jeep (now Kaiser Permanante) back in the 60's.
Time to relearn your Jeep history.

The Commando was a 4WD SUV (Dana 20 T-fer case) that was Jeep's answer to the Bronco and Scout. It was based roughly on a CJ-6 frame that was modified, hardly a car.

The original Jeepster OTOH was more of a 2WD Car. But not in the sense that the Compass is. They considered it more of a sports car, no real top, or windows, just a rag top and side curtains.

I think Jeep missed the mark on the Compass. JMO, but if they were doing something that is a car, capitalize on the image Jeep has. The performance image, sure it's off road, so why not capitalize on the ralley car thing? Or just outdoors in general like the Subaru outback?

I just don't see enough in the Compass to set it apart from the Caliber. Both are fine vehicles to be sure. But I just don't get the "Jeep" badge on the Compass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.