Compass Diesel Turbo? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass Diesel Turbo?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Compass Diesel Turbo?

Hi All,

I'm a proud new Jeep Compass (Turbo Diesel) owner from Australia. Been looking at the Jeep forums a lot, as there is a lack of Australian based forums for the compass. Out of curiousity, is there any particular reason why the Diesel Turbo version of the Compass is not available in the US?

From what I've read so far about the standard petrol version, the Diesel seems to get over a lot of the issues with performance and fuel economy.

mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Huntyeraws

US is picky on E-M-I-S-S-I-O-N-S!

It kills me that we can't puchase (nor do they offer) a diesel Patriot here in NY State that gets 43mpg combined when one can purchase an H2 Hummer that gets something like 13 mpg because the diesel Patriot emits elevated emmisions but gets > 3X the mileage per gallon of fuel.

Also, there are plenty of 10yr old and older vehicles on the road that spew more pollutants and have poorer fuel economy than current production models, but the current models are verboten.

Last edited by Huntyeraws; 05-27-2007 at 11:48 AM..
Huntyeraws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
snood
2007 MK Compass 

fuel mileage

whats your fuel mileage like?
snood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettolt
whats your fuel mileage like?
My average to date is 8.1L/100KM (approx 29mpg).

Keep in mind I do a lot of city driving (stop & go), and on weekends take the family out and do a lot of highway driving.

If I do a lot of highway driving, I average 7.5L/100KM (31mpg). I've only had the car over a week, and am loving it. With the Turbo, taking off is a breeze - but can easily suck down the fuel if you're heavy on the throttle too much.
mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
madrabbitt

Huntyeraws hit it square on the head.

The US's stupid epa requirements are more concerned about emissions per fixed period. Because of that, diesel engines and their particulate emissions dont pass the spec, even though they are usually cleaner and less smog producing then the gas powered vehicles that do pass.

Now, if the government did something intelligent like emissions content per gallon of fuel consumed, then maybe we could have all the nice fuel efficient vehicles with small diesel engines that the rest of the world enjoys.

Shoot. I'd love 29 mpg at 3.01 a gallon, compared to my 16 mpg at 3:39 a gallon.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
BuzzDog

On top of emissions, there are a number of people in the U.S. with long memories of GM's diesel debacle in the late 70's and early 80's. On top of that, diesels are perceived as being noisy and smelly, and being difficult to find people to work on them.

That being said, I'd consider buying one if it were available...diesels have advanced so much in the past 20 years that they're now a great choice.

Last edited by BuzzDog; 05-28-2007 at 11:22 AM..
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Emissions and previous diesel problems are what's turned americans against diesels. Look up some of GM's first diesel engines. They took a gasoline engine and tried to make it run diesel fuel, it didn't turn out very well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.