Compass at the Dealer Today - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass at the Dealer Today

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Jason31

Compass at the Dealer Today

Have a couple different issues. One, the horn sometimes whines like a scalded cat. The rear passenger door has some loud windnoise. Those are minor issues.

The main issue : Pulling out from a parking lot or gas station. I have had this issue twice. I pull out and the vehicle will not accelerate like the PCM is pulling fuel. I wonder if its the rollover protection. Its not like i'm slamming the throttle on the ground trying to rip the road up with all the massive 4 banger power this thing has.

Anyone else have or have had this issue? I expect them to come back and say no reports, but we updated your PCM. I bet the problem will go away if they do this. Its very intermittent, happened twice in 900 miles.

Unread 03-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07compasssport
had the car in to work on doors and horn. the did both recalls at same time.
Not sure what was wrong with 07compasssport's horn but he did have the doors adjusted which could cause the wind noise. My horn always sounds the same, wife doesn't like it much, sounds like you just stepped on a cats tail or something .

Is it like a delayed power response or hesitation on acceleration? Mine had a very mild hesitation when cold first thing in the morning a couple of times. Is it icy or a cold weather hesitation? The roll over protection does cut the throttle to some of the wheels but applies it to the others.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
BuzzDog

The horn thing may be due to cost-cutting measures. Presonally, I think
ALL Compass horns sound wimpy. It's a single-note horn, and to my ears it sounds a bit hollow. Many years ago, I added a second horn to my stripped-down GMC pickup to overcome this issue.
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

the gaping on the door made a big difference on wind noise, has like half in gaps on all 4. as for the horn the dealer (when we had one) said it was the clockspring (or something like that) that needed to be replaced.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
hvac5777
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I noticed a couple of times when it was cold outside our compass would hesitate when we first accelerated in the morning. Monday we are going to get our rear brake kit installed. Woo hoo!!!
Unread 03-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Jason31

They are replacing the horn. Its not that it sounds wimpy, its that it cuts out.

Wind noise could not be duplicated. Typical dealer with tard technicians, I'll fix it myself I guess since they cannot.

Acceleration issue when turning, they could not duplicate or pull any codes from the PCM. Hell I could have told them that. They have a call into Chrysler. PCM has the latest update, so thats not it.

The engine is not hesitating, its not missing, the PCM is pulling fuel plain and simple. It accelerates normally, for a 2 cycle Briggs engine. Its only done this twice in 1000 miles. Some system in the traction control/roll-over system is telling the PCM to pull fuel under circumstances that can be dangerous. I may just get in the habit of turning ECS or whatever Chrysler calls it off.
Unread 03-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason31

The engine is not hesitating, its not missing, the PCM is pulling fuel plain and simple. It accelerates normally, for a 2 cycle Briggs engine. Its only done this twice in 1000 miles. Some system in the traction control/roll-over system is telling the PCM to pull fuel under circumstances that can be dangerous. I may just get in the habit of turning ECS or whatever Chrysler calls it off.

I don't understand what "the PCM is pulling fuel" means.... Please explain if you wouldn't mind. Most of the car work I have done was prior to all the electronics they put on these buggies these days.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
Jason31

The PCM is the computer that controls the engine. It meters the incoming air in velocity and mass, and then computes the correct amount of fuel per cylinder. It also measures the exhaust via an O2 sensor to fine-tune this fuel to help emissions, driveability, and fuel mileage.

In the event the computer detects a traction or roll-over issue, the computer can drop the fuel, basically dropping cylinders, so that traction is retained. There is much more detail than what I've typed here that goes into this equation, but I think this explains it well enough.
Unread 03-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
The PCM is the computer that controls the engine. It meters the incoming air in velocity and mass, and then computes the correct amount of fuel per cylinder. It also measures the exhaust via an O2 sensor to fine-tune this fuel to help emissions, driveability, and fuel mileage.

In the event the computer detects a traction or roll-over issue, the computer can drop the fuel, basically dropping cylinders, so that traction is retained. There is much more detail than what I've typed here that goes into this equation, but I think this explains it well enough.

Thank you for the explanation Jason31, I believe your contention is that the PCM is limiting fuel to the engine because it believes that there is a traction or rollover condition that doesn't really exist. Interesting.... that would account for the perceived hesitation and dragging engine that I occasionally experience. Let's hope that your correct and DC comes up with a software patch.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #10
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I dunno if it helps, but all Calibers it seems have this sort of issue. Does yours have the CVT? It seems that the World Engines coupled with a CVT (not sure of manuals) have a dead spot until about 10-15 MPH, then they'll go. It takes forever to get it started from that, but they work fine after that.
Unread 03-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM
I dunno if it helps, but all Calibers it seems have this sort of issue. Does yours have the CVT? It seems that the World Engines coupled with a CVT (not sure of manuals) have a dead spot until about 10-15 MPH, then they'll go. It takes forever to get it started from that, but they work fine after that.
I've heard of that issue with the Caliber SXT, 2.0 and CVT (that's all those come with) and that was why they were changing out the PCM's early on. I have NOT kept up on the Caliber but at the time the R/T's with the 2.4 and CVT (which was all that they came with) didn't have the problem or it hadn't been reported at that time. So, does it sound like more of a PCM relationship with the CVT or is it related to the 2.0 engine. Again, just thinking out loud. FYI: The SE's were only available with 1800 and the 5 speed.

I do wish that they had programmed the CVT with about a 16:1 low instead of 14:1, that would help off the line.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #12
Jason31

It has done this with CVT engaged and with using AutoStick. Actually I can go out and reproduce it, somewhat. From a stop, turn your wheels halfway to the right or left and be a little aggressive with the throttle, and the PCM will limit power from the engine to make sure you don't rollover or lose traction. That being said, the PCM will return full power from the engine quickly and you're on your way, sometimes its barely noticable.

What has happened these two times though is the PCM won't let go for a good 5-10 seconds, and I'm powering down the street with all of 20 HP. Haha. Its funny but its not. I am weary of pulling out in front of traffic sometimes. I just ease out to the road then push the throttle the desired amount. Again, it does this without me being aggressive. Heck I've been aggressive enough with it at times to rip the inside front tire when turning right and the PCM didn't limit the engine anywhere near that much. Something isn't right and I'll continue to hound Chrysler until they fix the PCM issue or whatever the issue may be.

Just to be clear, this is NOT a normal condition. This isn't me wishing I had more power, or not understanding how the CVT works, or gear ratios, etc. This is abnormal PCM interference causing a dangerous condition.
Unread 03-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #13
BuzzDog

Maybe it's the "Jeep Gods" trying to save your life, by making you think twice about pulling out in front of traffic.

Just kidding, Jason...I hope that your dealer gets you fixed up quickly.
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2007, 08:17 AM   #14
Jason31

Could be! All this 4 cylinder power has me throttle happy!
Unread 03-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
It has done this with CVT engaged and with using AutoStick. Actually I can go out and reproduce it, somewhat. From a stop, turn your wheels halfway to the right or left and be a little aggressive with the throttle, and the PCM will limit power from the engine to make sure you don't rollover or lose traction. That being said, the PCM will return full power from the engine quickly and you're on your way, sometimes its barely noticable.

What has happened these two times though is the PCM won't let go for a good 5-10 seconds, and I'm powering down the street with all of 20 HP. Haha. Its funny but its not. I am weary of pulling out in front of traffic sometimes. I just ease out to the road then push the throttle the desired amount. Again, it does this without me being aggressive. Heck I've been aggressive enough with it at times to rip the inside front tire when turning right and the PCM didn't limit the engine anywhere near that much. Something isn't right and I'll continue to hound Chrysler until they fix the PCM issue or whatever the issue may be.

Just to be clear, this is NOT a normal condition. This isn't me wishing I had more power, or not understanding how the CVT works, or gear ratios, etc. This is abnormal PCM interference causing a dangerous condition.
I've noticed it myself in my Caliber now that I've paid attention to it. It isn't the electronic clutch type thing thats causing it is it? My CVT will rev up to about 2000-2500 when just starting out, then after I hit about 15 MPH it will drop down again to about 1600-1700. While its doing this, I cant go anywhere hardly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.