Compass & Caliber 5 spd Transmissions on Factory Hold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass & Caliber 5 spd Transmissions on Factory Hold

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 10-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
TimeTraveler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Compass & Caliber 5 spd Transmissions on Factory Hold

I'm one of those.. Compass on Order guys. I checked into the dealership today to get a time-line on when my Jeep arrives. I was informed that it will be delayed as the factory has shut down production on any Compass or Caliber with the manual 5 speed transmissions, due to a Glitch of unkown type. Production will restart after they fix the transmission problems. When, who knows?

Question: Has anyone have any news about this.

Please advise

GEO

TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Kev M
2012 WK 

Oh MAN, maybe I'm glad I went with the Scoobie-Doo Baja...

This would have affected me and I would have been without a car even longer than the 1-2 months I was expecting if I ordered a Compass.

Let us know how it turns out.

Kev
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
TimeTraveler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Kev, I hope it's short lived, or not that critical. Who knows, it may just be a story line I'm getting from the dealership.. But I doubt it.

I did a quick look in the Caliber forum, but could not find anything mentioned.. I don't have full access at the moment.

How is the Scoobie doing with you and your family? My brother-inlaw had one for a short while, it did not fit in with his lifestyle, so it was sold. To each his own.

I hope all's well the ends well.

GEO
Unread 10-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I've got a friend here at work that's checking with his buddy that works at the Belvidere plant tonight on any inside scoop. We'll see if he remembers AND his bud is on the 3rd shift so I may not hear anything for a couple of days.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTraveler
Thanks Kev, I hope it's short lived, or not that critical. Who knows, it may just be a story line I'm getting from the dealership.. But I doubt it.

I did a quick look in the Caliber forum, but could not find anything mentioned.. I don't have full access at the moment.

How is the Scoobie doing with you and your family? My brother-inlaw had one for a short while, it did not fit in with his lifestyle, so it was sold. To each his own.

I hope all's well the ends well.

GEO
The Scoobie is rockin' for us. We took a 4 person (me, wife, kid and her best friend) road trip this past weekend. Rolled along like a dream, albeit a little too fast but I'll learn to keep the throttle back and get some gas mileage.

Pretty quiet and comfortable so far.

Moved some stuff in the bed. Actually I gotta haul a dozen cases of books from work to a recycler this week too.

So I'm digging it.

I still feel a little pang when I pass a Compass though.

We'll see what Jenn decides to do about her ride in a year and a half, when she FINALLY graduates (crossing fingers).

I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing about your Compass when you get it. If we had gone with one we were TOTALLY about the 5-speed.

Kev
Unread 10-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
TimeTraveler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I've got a friend here at work that's checking with his buddy that works at the Belvidere plant tonight on any inside scoop. We'll see if he remembers AND his bud is on the 3rd shift so I may not hear anything for a couple of days.
Gramps, I have inquired with the dealership, but they have not replied at all. I was wondering if you have recieved any news on your end.

Thanks

GEO
Unread 10-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Geo,

My friends friend may have even moved and not be working at Belvidere any more. My friend has not been able to contact him. He has tried but has gotten his "auto reply" on his email that he is away. My friend works days with me; his friend, if still there, works 3rd and the weekend is about the only time that they can get in touch. Even heard "divorce" mentioned. So don't hold your breath, I don't want to give you any false hope. If I hear ANYTHING I'll let you know ASAP.

gramps
Unread 10-26-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
TimeTraveler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks; my next effort is similar to when I owned my Cherokee.. Head to the source... Daimler Chrysler itself.. It seems to work in time.
Like most people who have ordered a Compass.... you have made the decision, now you just want to start driving it.

My choice was forced.. I nearly went into the ditch on the first icy day with a 25-year-old BMW 320I. I went out looking for an AWD car with good gas mileage. I drive 80 miles daily on wind swept roads, so safety and mileage counted.

Winter is coming any day now in Calgary, so I was hoping to have something by now.

Patients are a Virtue, I have been told. I'm also a Grandpa, and have more patients then I used to have.. But I have limits.

Thanks for looking into this.. I'll let you all know if I get some answers.

Thanks also for the support.
Unread 10-27-2006, 04:15 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It may help if when you contact DC to have either the Order Number or the VIN. If it's in build status it will have the VIN issued to it. If the status is "D" it is in build status but could still sit there for quite a while waiting for parts, etc. What I would hope for is a "D-1" status, that's close to the final stage and out the door to shipping.

Patients, I know about those, but there are days!!

Good luck,
gramps
Unread 10-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #10
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTraveler

My choice was forced.. I nearly went into the ditch on the first icy day with a 25-year-old BMW 320I. I went out looking for an AWD car with good gas mileage. I drive 80 miles daily on wind swept roads, so safety and mileage counted.
I don't want to poo-poo your choice, but remember that although AWD helps a little from the putting power to the road standpoint, it doesn't magically create traction on icy surfaces when it comes to skids, braking or cornering.

For that you need snow/ice tires.

I've got two buddies who run their BMWs through the full snow/ice PA winters here, how? With Bizzaks or Hakapaletas
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:44 AM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'd still rather have a 4 legged dog than a 1 legged dog. 4 times the chance of finding the right spot for traction.
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #12
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampsmopar
I'd still rather have a 4 legged dog than a 1 legged dog. 4 times the chance of finding the right spot for traction.

MANY BMWs have a locking rear diff, so you at least have a 2 legged dog.

And MOST Jeeps have an open front and rear diffs, so when push comes to show they are only 2 legged dogs too.

So I'd rather have a 4 legged dog with decent paws and claws.

But I agree with your point, which is why I bought an AWD vehicle too.

Unread 10-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #13
TimeTraveler
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm not classifying it as a BMW thing, it just the age and lack of maintenance. This car needs a new steering rack, new springs, new struts/shocks, new mounts, on an on. It's 25 years old now. I have had no problems in the past, it's just time. Other issues were no heat, does not like to start on cold days, does not like to start on hot days.. it's all maintenance and time. The plan is to restore it for the kids or Grandkids as soon as I can stop driving it. Winter tires I have, and all the other driving skills I hope I never forget. We all have plenty of reasons why we went for the compass, mine is mostly timing.

The last written report, I did not have the Vin number. I'm calling them now.

Thanks

GEO
Unread 10-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #14
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
I don't want to poo-poo your choice, but remember that although AWD helps a little from the putting power to the road standpoint, it doesn't magically create traction on icy surfaces when it comes to skids, braking or cornering.

For that you need snow/ice tires.

I've got two buddies who run their BMWs through the full snow/ice PA winters here, how? With Bizzaks or Hakapaletas
I think most BMW drivers park their cars in the winter for fear of other drivers plowing into them. I'm sure that with good winter tires a BMW would be a sweet winter ride.
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #15
TimeTraveler
2012 JK Wrangler 

LOL!!!

Summer Snow in Calgary is the best time to see if anyone can drive.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.