Compass AWD catback exhaust from magnaflow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass AWD catback exhaust from magnaflow

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-12-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
compassjeep

Compass AWD catback exhaust from magnaflow

just ordered the all stainless catback for my AWD compass auto, i think i was the first to purchase one one from maganaflow, thru hottexhaust.com, will let everyone know how it sounds. or if someone has one already how does it sound & if any performance improvement, if any?

compassjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Sounds like you're the first. I wonder if anyone over on the Caliber forums has tried one on an R/T yet. Could be worth cruzin' over there and checking, I'll have to wait until tonight.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here's a thread:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1449

Maybe it's a start.

Unread 12-13-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
ltdanyj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know it was just a prototype, but I sure hope the production system looks better....
ltdanyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 06:23 AM   #5
compassjeep

compass cat back update

post was a duplicate

Last edited by compassjeep; 12-19-2006 at 10:20 AM..
Unread 12-19-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
compassjeep

compass cat back update

installed it saturday morning, factory exhaust comes off very easy, loosen front clamp, undo 3 rubber hangers, use some wd 40 helps slide off, there are 4 sections to slide together, starting from the cat work your way back slide everything together, do not tighten yet, i found the system to be short, i had to slide all the pipes to about 2" from the end, in order to get the muffler to hang level with the rest of the body, i could not get the muffler to be level using the original rubber hanger, went out and bought a longer rubber hanger about 1/2", it does not seem like allot but it is needed, otherwise the tailpipe will hit the bumper cover, it is not loud, just purrs, can barely hear in the truck , looks good, price is about $350 from hottexhaust.com
i have a call into magnaflow about the fitment problems, overall a good exhaust, could not feel any performance improvements. will see if it helps with the mileage.
Unread 12-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
Kev M
2012 WK 

Performance and mileage are inter-related.

If it DOES help with performance it will likely hurt mileage.

If it hurts performance, it might help mileage.

Also depends on whether or not you drive it any different afterwards.

K
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 07:28 PM   #8
g3cko
2011 JK Wrangler 

At least it isn't loud and obnoxious, which you get on some of the imports with similar engines.
g3cko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 05:32 AM   #9
BuzzDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3cko
At least it isn't loud and obnoxious, which you get on some of the imports with similar engines.
A friend of mine has a great name for those: Fart cans! It's difficult for me to follow one of those without getting a big grin on my face.

Will this same setup also fit a FWD Compass? I'm assuming that it would, since that model lacks the pieces that the exhaust system is avoiding in the AWD model.

I'm not proud to have just bought a Compass without AWD, but they're not very plentiful in this part of the country, where we typically get less than three snow days each year...and the closest I get to offroading is parking in the "overflow lot" (a/k/a, a grassy field). Thought it was better to have a FWD Compass than no Compass at all...plus I'll use the money I saved for my "CJ/Wrangler fund."

Last edited by BuzzDog; 01-11-2007 at 06:39 AM..
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #10
snikr

I love the Cat back MagnaFlow system on my Dakota with a V-8. If I had not leased my Compass I might put one on it. Of course, I doubt the wife would like it much (she says my truck "growls") and it is her daily driver.

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 06:12 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDog
A friend of mine has a great name for those: Fart cans! It's difficult for me to follow one of those without getting a big grin on my face.

Will this same setup also fit a FWD Compass? I'm assuming that it would, since that model lacks the pieces that the exhaust system is avoiding in the AWD model.

I'm not proud to have just bought a Compass without AWD, but they're not very plentiful in this part of the country, where we typically get less than three snow days each year...and the closest I get to offroading is parking in the "overflow lot" (a/k/a, a grassy field). Thought it was better to have a FWD Compass than no Compass at all...plus I'll use the money I saved for my "CJ/Wrangler fund."
If you don't need AWD why pay for it? I'm really curious to see what the mileage difference is. Besides, I see LOTS of SUV models of other manufactures out there that are just the FWD version. Ain't 'nuthin' ta be 'shamed ov,

Unread 12-22-2006, 07:40 AM   #12
compassjeep

catback update

magnaflow is working on the fitment issue, it does drone at cruising speeds with windows up, may need a resonator added to help eliminate this issue, well it does look good!

Last edited by compassjeep; 12-27-2006 at 08:22 AM..
Unread 12-29-2006, 07:08 PM   #13
g3cko
2011 JK Wrangler 

How is the gas mileage ended up for you? Any better or worse?
g3cko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #14
compassjeep

gas mileage?

it is the same, we get about 24 mpg, city/highway combined. awd/auto

Last edited by compassjeep; 01-14-2007 at 03:06 PM..
Unread 01-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #15
pillzny

compassjeep - I've been really close to just purchasing the Magnaflow but I was worried about the sound. I love that deep purr from the bigger trucks and was worried that the Compass would give off that loud annoying sound (fartcan). I was also reading through a Caliber forum that spoke about the CVT causing the sound to be steady and annoying since you dont hear that shift that we're used to hearing.
Guess my question to you is: if you had to do it again - would you still get it or not at all or wait until the kinks are worked out
pillzny is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.