Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Compass auto stick question.

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Gramps 
#1 ·
I don't use the auto stick much at all, but I was wondering if I could use the 6th auto stick drive to cruise the freeway at 70+ mph?

I was driving home one night on the freeway when I bumped my auto stick to the right and it went to the 6th gear and it may be my imagination but the compass felt like it drove better.

I would like to use it while on the freeway but if regular drive is better I'll stick with that.

Thanks for any answers I receive.

#2 ·
Leaving it in "D" lets it vary on the ratios, putting it in "6" locks it to the single ratio. If the terrain is level and your holding a constant speed I don't see what harm it could do. It sounds like an interesting experiment!

#6 ·
I have the 5 speed manual and I admit that I don't understand how Autostick compares. I use 5th gear whenever I'm at speeds over 45-50 mph. When I want to pass or climb a hill, I shift into 4 but I have never been close to the red line on rpm when in 4 on normal highway speeds.

#8 ·
Hi and :welcome:

I have never been able to find what the exact ratios are in each "gear" but because people are used to gear changes the CVT is programed to simulate those changes. Also the programming may be changed by software as determined by the factory.

These "ratios" are purely fictitious (and the reverse of what they should be) but may help you to understand the different way to use the AutoStick.

In "D" the transmission will vary from:
1.00 - 1.98 in 1st
2.00 - 2.98 in 2nd
3.00 - 3.98 in 3rd
4.00 - 4.98 in 4th
5.00 - 5.98 in 5th
6.00 - 6.98 in 6th

The .02 difference in the shifts is the "simulated shift" that you can actually feel.

If you choose to "dial your own gear" you will not have the varying ratio, you will be locked in to the lowest ratio for that gear, i.e. 1.00, 2.00, threw 6.00 etc. until you reach max rpm and force a change determined by the fail safes built in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.