Compass ACTUAL mileage - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Compass ACTUAL mileage

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #31
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
I tried like hell to get better mileage numbers out of my XJ on a couple of road trips... guess I just could never drive slow enough.
weird..i average 21 - 22 mpg on the interstate going 75mph

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 08:54 AM   #32
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123
weird..i average 21 - 22 mpg on the interstate going 75mph

Granted, I don't remember what mileage was like before I futzed with some of the aerodynamics of the vehicle (replaced the stock front bumber and shroud with an Olympic bumper), but I bet that cost me one or two mpgs.

And that would have closed the gap.

but still, 21-22 isn't bad.

Of course, one of my business partners manages that type of mileage on his Suburban on the highway, so I'm still not impressed if you know what I mean.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #33
Rbongirl

With my Compass, I'm usually getting around 22-23 mpg in the city...today was the first time we had it out on the tollway for more than 15 miles (went from Rockton to Schaumburg which is about 60 miles each way) and we were averaging anywhere from 28-30 mpg. I was shocked to actually see the 30 mpg! I think my husband thought I was nuts, I got so excited. Haha.

Kel
Rbongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 06:08 AM   #34
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Since the weather has gotten a lot colder (40 and below) my mpg has dropped about 1 1/2 to 2 mpg. Over Thanksgiving when it was back up in the 50's my mileage went right back up. I'm saying slightly less than 22/23 mpg compared to 24/25. Anybody else experiencing this? I'll ask the dealer if it's maybe running too rich when I get my 9K oil change but I'm looking for some opinions out there. It could also be the 10% ethanol that we have to use, it started at the same time, about 4 fill-ups ago. Not really much to complain about, just a curiosity.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #35
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Since the weather has gotten a lot colder (40 and below) my mpg has dropped about 1 1/2 to 2 mpg. Over Thanksgiving when it was back up in the 50's my mileage went right back up. I'm saying slightly less than 22/23 mpg compared to 24/25. Anybody else experiencing this? I'll ask the dealer if it's maybe running too rich when I get my 9K oil change but I'm looking for some opinions out there. It could also be the 10% ethanol that we have to use, it started at the same time, about 4 fill-ups ago. Not really much to complain about, just a curiosity.
Perfectly normal.

The ECM constantly adjusts the air:fuel mixture to attempt to maintain (it's impossible to actually do) the stochiometric ideal of 14.7:1 (which is desired for maximum efficiency and best catalytic converter operation to minimize pollutants). As a result when weather is colder (air is more dense) then it is going to get slightly worse mileage (as the ECM uses more fuel to try and match the higher oxygen content of the incoming air). When the air is warmer (less dense) it is going to get slightly better mileage (as the ECM will use less fuel to match the lower oxygen content).

Though there are plenty of other variables that can affect it including fuel (oxygenated/ethanol blends vs. non-oxygenated blends), driving habbits (mixture of city and highway, acceleration and overall speeds), tire pressures, even supposedly types of oil .

I've personally noted large mpg swings when moving from sea level to operation at altitude (from more dense to less dense air) as long as I accept that the vehicle will tend to have slower acceleration and don't try to better match the performance at lower altitudes by going further and longer into the throttle (I say better match because with less oxygen the motor cannot make as much power as it can with denser air so I CANNOT actually match performance at the top end of engine operation).

Oxygenated/ethanol-blend fuels also contain fewer hydrocarbons per gallon and will normally yield slightly lower mileage as well, so that's probably a contributing factor too.

As for wether or not your Compass is running "too rich" it is not. If it were the 02 sensors would tell the ECM and the ECM would illuminate the check engine light.

Kev
Unread 12-03-2006, 08:29 AM   #36
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks Kev, that explains a bunch My "play time" deals with carbureted engines and not injection and computers, but something like that is what I thought. Thanks for explaining it so well!

Since most of my posts sound like peaches and cream I felt that I should bring this out for everyone to see. The only other concern that I've had so far is that my drivers side rear window has always seemed slower going up than the others and the other day it actually got stuck (not frozen over, it was 50 degrees). That's for the dealer to fix for sure.

Unread 12-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #37
snikr

The 2nd tank of gas on our new Compass we got 20 MPG. With only a 6 mile trip to work I know most of you will get better mileage. I'm happy as our 2003 Liberty ONLY got 15 MPG at it's best. My Dakota with a 4.7 V-8 got better mileage than the Liberty.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #38
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikr
The 2nd tank of gas on our new Compass we got 20 MPG. With only a 6 mile trip to work I know most of you will get better mileage. I'm happy as our 2003 Liberty ONLY got 15 MPG at it's best. My Dakota with a 4.7 V-8 got better mileage than the Liberty.

Tom
Six miles is rough duty on a vehicle.

It's going to be running a bit rich for most of that time in the winter. When you first start a vehicle before the engine warms up enough for optimal operation and the oxygen sensor warms up enough to work the ECM is going to purposely make it run rich.

If your commute is so short, make sure that at least once a week you run her a bit longer, AT LEAST long enough to fully warm up for a couple of minutes.

Unread 12-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #39
snikr

The wife usually manages to get the Compass out and run some errands after/before work so it does get warmed up. Or I take it and do the same thing when she lets me.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2006, 06:49 AM   #40
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
But DC and the rest of them don't want to build e85 capable cars until the infrastructure is installed. What a crock! Which came first, the car or the gas station?
Actually, DCX is very commited to E85 and other alternative fuels. The product is being produced, in fact, my Commander has a FlexFuel E85 4.7 liter. It is true that the Infrastructure is not there yet. I live in the Metro Detroit area and have only seen one gas station that sells E85.

Oh, and back on topic for just a second, my wife drives the Compass. I have not checked the mileage yet, but we just picked it up last Friday.

Quote:
Original Issue Date: Oct. 26, 2006
Fueling America's future: Chrysler Group and E85

The Chrysler Group has a long-standing commitment to help improve our nation's environment and reduce our country's dependence on petroleum. To achieve these goals, the Chrysler Group has been a leader in producing flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs) that run on E85 ethanol gas. In fact, with nearly 1.5 million FFVs sold since 1998—representing 10 percent of all of its vehicles sold since then—the Chrysler Group has sold a greater percentage of FFVs than any other auto manufacturer. Ethanol is essentially beverage alcohol that can be produced from a variety of sources, but mostly from sugar cane and corn. Corn is the predominant ethanol crop in the United States. New processes are being perfected to convert such diverse items as wheat straw and sawdust—items currently thrown away—into ethanol. These new processes are several times more efficient than the already efficient corn ethanol production in use today. Want to read more? Go to dodge.com/flexfuel, chrysler.com/flexfuel or jeep.com/flexfuel.
Quote:
Original Issue Date: Aug. 10, 2006
Renewable fuels important to Chrysler Group strategy

"An important part of the Chrysler Group's strategy is to provide vehicles that will help reduce our country's dependence on oil through increased use of renewable fuels, such as ethanol," Chrysler Group COO Eric Ridenour said yesterday to the audience at the Management Briefing Seminars in Traverse City, Mich. "We believe that flexible-fuel vehicles are part of the answer and part of a complete lineup of options that our customers expect. Ethanol-based fuels like E85 are a part of a viable long-term strategy for our nation’s energy security," Ridenour explained.
Ten percent of Chrysler Group vehicles produced over the past eight years are flex-fuel capable—a greater percentage than any other company. Today, there are 1.5 million ethanol-capable Chrysler, Jeep® and Dodge vehicles on the road. In 2007, the company will produce 250,000 more E85-capable vehicles, and in 2008, it will double that number to 500,000. However, the challenge is to educate the owners of those vehicles. Ridenour announced that starting next year, the Chrysler Group will share an element of General Motors' "Live Green, Go Yellow" campaign. The Chrysler Group will install bright yellow fuel caps on each of its FFVs, which will enable consumers, at a glance, to know if their vehicle is flex-fuel capable. Additionally, the company will begin badging its FFV vehicles.

In addition to ethanol vehicles, Chrysler Group has been a leader in supporting biofuels and has its eye on future technologies including hybrids and fuel cells. "We are a full-line producer of vehicles, and we intend to compete in multiple powertrain technologies," said Ridenour. "We know that each has its merits. That's why we believe in a combination of biofuels, diesels, hybrids, fuel cells and advance gasoline technologies. No one technology will win the day. Bottom line is consumers want choice. "Our customers will ultimately decide the technologies they want and need to power their vehicles - now and in the future. And DaimlerChrysler will be standing at the ready with all the options available to meet their needs," Ridenour concluded.
Ridenour said that 10 percent of all Chrysler Group vehicles produced over the past eight years are flex-fuel capable. "Ethanol-based fuels like E85 are a part of a viable, long-term strategy for our nation's energy security," Ridenour said.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2006, 07:06 AM   #41
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

PeteC;

There are many manufacturers out there that are making the larger engines e85 capable, I belive so that they can get their emissions credits (my opinion). The Compass/Caliber New Word Engine SHOULD have been made flex fuel to begin with instead of being committed to only Old World gas. I have several stations within a 15 mile radius that sell e85, lucky me, but I can't use it. The next step beyond ethonol is the butanol that Dupont and Bp are working on in the UK with more carbon molecules and is non-corrosive, a direct replacement for todays gas without even an O2 sensor change.

Congrats on your new Compass!! Any details on it?

Unread 01-31-2007, 10:30 AM   #42
jdwoo99

My actual Mileage

I had just bought my Compass and we took it on a trip. Coming back from the trip I paid paticular attention to the gas mileage and we got 30.4 miles to the gallon. I was very impressed!!
jdwoo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2007, 11:51 AM   #43
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwoo99
I had just bought my Compass and we took it on a trip. Coming back from the trip I paid particular attention to the gas mileage and we got 30.4 miles to the gallon. I was very impressed!!
Was this mostly freeway, what kind of terrain and what was your speed? Also, was that an actual calculation or do you have the EVIC and take the reading from there? I did about that good on my trip when I kept my foot out of it.

Unread 01-31-2007, 12:51 PM   #44
jdwoo99

Gas Mileage

We were comming from Branson to St. Louis Missouri. Once out of the hilly area mostly flat all the way to St. Louis. Set cruise control at about 70 and stayed there. I have a Compass Limited 4X2 with the 2.4 and I was taking the EVIC readings on the dash.
jdwoo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 06:17 PM   #45
g3cko
2011 JK Wrangler 

I've noticed a dip in my mileage with the winter gas, but I've started to climb back a little bit after putting some more miles on it. I'm at about 3,500 or so.
g3cko is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.