Clutch Replacement Writeup? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Clutch Replacement Writeup?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Tri_X_Troll
1986 MJ Comanche 

Clutch Replacement Writeup?

My patriot has about ~60k on the odometer and I do a lot of stop/go driving and tow my Hobiecat fairly regularly. The clutch isn't slipping, but I can definitely feel that it doesn't grab as soon as it did when new.

I have a feeling that it won't be nearly as easy to replace as Comanche, but does anyone have a writeup? Also, does the patriot/compass have in inspection port for the clutch?

Unread 09-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Time to trade it in since it seems you do not know how to drive a clutch.The OE clutch should last 120k-150k easily.And no it will not be as easy as a Comanche,not sure the exact procedure but some require the engine to be pulled(those are not fun clutches to do) and if it's AWD that makes it so much more fun.
Unread 09-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Tri_X_Troll
1986 MJ Comanche 

Thank you.....such useful information.

I haven't killed a clutch on any of my other vehicles, so I'm fairly certain that I can drive. The only possible "issue" is that Chrysler was too liberal when assigning the 2k tow capacity and my jeep spends 25% of it's time towing a 1500 lb load and backing it up a steep gravel driveway 1-2 times a week April-October

The only difference that I can feel is that it has a little more pedal travel than it did new. The dealership told me that I was imagining things when I took it last month, so I'm really just looking for a write-up for if/when it does go, as the majority of the clutch replacement posts that I've found state that the MK clutch usually has a life of 100-120k.
Unread 11-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Hey I'm just giving my two cents here. I had a 2007 FWD Jeep Compass that I traded in another vehicle. I had 258,000mi at trade. Mine was a 5-speed manual. The clutch seemed to operate just fine. Untouched and unserviced in over a quarter-million miles. I agree, got to be more going on.

Even a clutch lasting 120-150kmi I think is premature. They are built touch intentionally because they are not easy to get to and service. Should last life of the vehicle if driven properly.

The last three vehicles I have owned all had manual transmissions. All were traded in excess of 200kmi. Never in my life have ever had to service a clutch.

I did do routine service of an occasional manual transmission fluid change. BTW the manual transmission of the Compass/Patriot uses Mopar AFT+4 fluid.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.