Chrysler's Project Genisis: Cutting models and consolidating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Chrysler's Project Genisis: Cutting models and consolidating

2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wiOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Wheel Bearing & Hub Asse

Unread 02-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
unclejjg

Chrysler's Project Genisis: Cutting models and consolidating

Quote:
The automaker has told dealers as it outlines its Project Genesis plan that it could cut its number of models by as much as half and reduce the number of dealerships selling its cars by as much as a third in an effort to boost efficiency, according to Alan Helfman, vice president of River Oaks Chrysler Jeep in Houston.
Link 1

Link 2

unclejjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
unclejjg

More information

Here is a little more....

Link 3

Quote:
Basically, it would be these cars and trucks: Chrysler Aspen, Sebring sedan, PT Cruiser, Town & Country (Pacifica and Crossfire already are on the cutting block); Dodge Durango, Nitro and Viper (the latter is getting quite old and Chrysler isn't in the position to spend money on a new one); Jeep Commander (a new crossover Grand Cherokee will get a third row, and covers the Grand Cherokee/Commander/Aspen/Durango market) and Compass.
Quote:
So the Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership of 2011 or so looks like this:

Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited

*Chrysler 300/C and perhaps a more upmarket version, with the base versions of the 300 cut; plus a new Chrysler Sebring convertible (no sedan).

*Dodge Charger (Chrysler is looking at a coupe version, but I wouldn't hold my breath), Challenger (a one-model version for five or six years), Avenger, Journey, Ram, Grand Caravan and Caliber. Development of the Hornet subcompact is already 12 to 18 months behind, and I wouldn't hold my breath for the Miata-fighting Demon, either. (Magnum also has been cut.)

*Jeep Grand Cherokee (with optional third row), Liberty, Patriot and Wrangler/Unlimited (the Patriot, being too close to the Dodge Caliber, also might be cut).
Unread 02-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
unclejjg

Best explanation so far:

Quote:
The automaker has been working under its so-called Project Alpha to get more of its dealers to sell all three of its brands Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep under one roof. But Chrysler, purchased last year by private-equity firm Cerberus Capital Management, has realized it must work to eliminate duplication in its product lineup to speed the process, the Free Press was told.

"Alpha is only good if you don't have competing nameplates underneath the same franchises," a dealer told the Free Press. Chrysler has about 3,700 dealers.

Alpha is being replaced by Project Genesis to eliminate more models and be more aggressive about dealer consolidation.
Link
Unread 02-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Jeepster55

as a Chrysler Dealer employee, i agree with what they're doing. too many models on the same platform.

as a Compass Owner, i'm concerned that 'my' vehicle won't be around much longer.

i've never understood the THREE "MK" model thought process. the Caliber i get, as do i get one 'other', but to have TWO "MK"s in the same line?

i mentioned this before, but i still think the Compass would fill a void in the Chrysler line as an 'AWD', keep the Caliber but only as a FWD model and DROP THE PATRIOT. Jeep has the Liberty, Grand Cherokee (which will become another 'Aspen/Durango' based vehicle) and the Commander, as well as the Wrangler and Unlimited. they've already got enough....they don't need EITHER of the 'MK's.

keep the Caliber as a FWD "car" in the Dodge line and the Compass as an AWD "crossover suv" in the Chrysler line......all will be good!

just my opinion and we all know what THOSE are........
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
unclejjg

For the Compass to slide into the Chrysler line, I bet it would need a little upscaling. Perhaps that is just what the interior redesign is set to do.

On the other hand, with the Commander being gone, the Grand growing in size, the Liberty having already grown, I still see a spot for a smaller Jeep vehicle.

That being said, I'd like to see them differentiate the Patriot a little more from the other MK's.
Unread 02-11-2008, 03:57 AM   #6
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejjg View Post
......On the other hand, with the Commander being gone, the Grand growing in size, the Liberty having already grown, I still see a spot for a smaller Jeep vehicle.
your 'smaller' Jeep vehicle?.....THE WRANGLER! and there you have it, your complete Jeep line-up.
Unread 02-11-2008, 04:02 AM   #7
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would hate to see the end of the Patriot line-they're a great bang for the buck. If they could improve the gas milage of the Wrangler, it might have gotten my vote. Too sad, all of this model cutting....
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel0129 View Post
.......Too sad, all of this model cutting....
yes, contrary to what my wife thinks..."Bigger is NOT always better"
Unread 02-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster55 View Post
yes, contrary to what my wife thinks..."Bigger is NOT always better"

I agree-it sure makes a difference depending on what you're talking about!!
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Jeepster55

Cerberus' Selling of the Jeep Line?

by now i'm sure you've read about Cerberus being in negotiations with Mahindra to sell off the Jeep Line. i just thought Mahindra made tractors....boy was I wrong....read on:

****Mahindra in negotiations with Cerberus for them to purchase Jeep?

In 2005, Mahindra completed 60 years of business. Originally awarded a contract in 1942 in India from the U.S. Willys firm for military Jeep production during WWII. This evolved into manufacturing of general-purpose utility vehicles for the Indian and other world markets in 1945, M&M first became well known as the maker of one of the original U.S. designed Jeeps in India. Mahindra continued to build the original Willys designed Jeep CJ3B in India up to present day and now has some updated designs as well. Most Mahindra built Jeeps were using built using small, efficient diesel engines from various other automobile companies such a Peugeot, a French company.

Mahindra & Mahindra rapidly grew from being a maker of army vehicles to a major automobile and tractor manufacturer with a growing global appetite. M&M initiated a process of product enhancement and globalization. It made strategic acquisitions of plants in China and the United Kingdom, and has three assembly plants in the USA. M&M has partnerships with international companies like Renault SA, France, Nissan and International Truck and Engine Corporation, USA.*****

seems Mahindra, or M&M, has had a strong Jeep connection for many years. this may not be a bad thing, although i do see the Jeep Line being 'thinned out' eventually. but who knows.....should they start their OWN car company here in the states, it just might be in their best interest to KEEP the present Jeep lineup, at least for a while.

what's YOUR take on all this?
Unread 02-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #11
unclejjg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster55 View Post
by now i'm sure you've read about Cerberus being in negotiations with Mahindra to sell off the Jeep Line. i just thought Mahindra made tractors....boy was I wrong....read on:

****Mahindra in negotiations with Cerberus for them to purchase Jeep?

In 2005, Mahindra completed 60 years of business. Originally awarded a contract in 1942 in India from the U.S. Willys firm for military Jeep production during WWII. This evolved into manufacturing of general-purpose utility vehicles for the Indian and other world markets in 1945, M&M first became well known as the maker of one of the original U.S. designed Jeeps in India. Mahindra continued to build the original Willys designed Jeep CJ3B in India up to present day and now has some updated designs as well. Most Mahindra built Jeeps were using built using small, efficient diesel engines from various other automobile companies such a Peugeot, a French company.

Mahindra & Mahindra rapidly grew from being a maker of army vehicles to a major automobile and tractor manufacturer with a growing global appetite. M&M initiated a process of product enhancement and globalization. It made strategic acquisitions of plants in China and the United Kingdom, and has three assembly plants in the USA. M&M has partnerships with international companies like Renault SA, France, Nissan and International Truck and Engine Corporation, USA.*****

seems Mahindra, or M&M, has had a strong Jeep connection for many years. this may not be a bad thing, although i do see the Jeep Line being 'thinned out' eventually. but who knows.....should they start their OWN car company here in the states, it just might be in their best interest to KEEP the present Jeep lineup, at least for a while.

what's YOUR take on all this?
Take a look at the Mahindra Scorpio....here is a gallery. If people thought the interiors of the MK's are bad....wait until they get a load of this:

http://www.ifctest.com/scorpio/html/...o_gallery.html

Selling Jeep to a foreign country would be like selling McDonald's to a foreign country. What is next? Give Texas back to Mexico?

Project Genesis is a good plan. If they can pull it off, it will get that company back on track.
Unread 02-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Jeepster55

Quote:
Take a look at the Mahindra Scorpio....here is a gallery. If people thought the interiors of the MK's are bad....wait until they get a load of this:

http://www.ifctest.com/scorpio/html/...o_gallery.html

Selling Jeep to a foreign country would be like selling McDonald's to a foreign country. What is next? Give Texas back to Mexico?

Project Genesis is a good plan. If they can pull it off, it will get that company back on track.
...but interestingly enough, the Scorpio has Jeeps trademark '7 slot grille'. COINCIDENCE????
Unread 02-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #13
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

reminds me of a mix between the commander and the fullsize mitsu montero
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
unclejjg

Yeah....with pinkish cream colored seats that have flower details on them....cripes!
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #15
Jeepster55

Quote:
Yeah....with pinkish cream colored seats that have flower details on them....cripes!
well it IS made in India.....and besides, Mopar had VINYL TOPS and SEATS with flowers on them in the '70's.......maybe it's a 'retro' model????

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.