Chirp from front end? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Chirp from front end?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Chirp from front end?

I have a 2007 Jeep Compass with 5-speed manual. There is "chirp" sound, almost like a screech, when I lift off the gas. It doesn't do it unless I am in gear and accelerating or at a steady speed and lift off the throttle to slow down. It is more pronounced when accelerating hard, like up hill, and then lifting off the gas. It is there and does it even if I'm moving slowly or in traffic and just barely on and off the gas just feathering the throttle. It makes the sound also if I have the cruise control on and need to slow down either by braking to stop the cruise control or even simply bumping the cruise control button to cancel it or decelerate.

Would it, could it be an axle shaft? transmission problem?

It only does it while moving in gear. Most noticeable in 4th or 5th gear. Since the sound only does it while in gear, I figured it's not an engine or transmission, or exhaust mount.

Also I can hear a quiet high pitched whine when accelerating normally, I don't hear it when accelerating hard. Not saying it isn't there, engine noise may drowned it out.

The clutch seems to work fine doesn't make any funny sounds when pushing the pedal in and out and all the gears seem to shift just fine.

Any idea what it could be?

cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
DLTC86
2008 MK Compass 

A loose belt?
DLTC86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.