Cherokee guy. Convince me to buy a Patriot. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Cherokee guy. Convince me to buy a Patriot.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee guy. Convince me to buy a Patriot.

I love my Cherokee and hate to ever see it go. I've done electronic repair for 15 years. I'm not a fan of all the electronics in vehicles these days. I may have to live with it. The way gas prices are going I should be looking at a more practical daily driver and for long trips.

I need a vehicle that gets decent gas mileage. Will take me down rutted forest roads and across snow covered lakes. Will tow a small boat or a single snowmobile. Haul up to 4 people. Haul plenty of gear for fishing, hunting & camping. The Patriot sounds like it will do this.

For you folks that used to own Cherokees, how does the Patriot compare? How does the Patriot AWD compare to the Cherokee 4wd? I can go through a foot of snow pretty easily with my stock Cherokee and all terrain tires.

How is the Patriot on a steep boat ramp? Most of the weight will be on the rear wheels and have the best traction. I know it's front wheel drive and I'm concerned about having sufficent power to the rear wheels with the AWD system.

How's the ground clearance going through rutted and muddy forest roads? I here there are some minor lift kits if need be.

I know this has not been proven, but is a Patriot a vehicle that will go 200-250k miles without major problems? I'm looking to run it for maybe 20 years. I want longevity.

Lastly are there any other vehicles I should be looking at?

Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Gofaster

Here is a hug. Sounds like that is what you are looking for.

Are you for real? You already know the answer.

Are you not sure if you should ask the priest or the recruiter?
Gofaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I have a 99 Cherokee and a 2008 Patriot 4X4 with FD1 a 5 speed manual transaxle not the trail rated FDII model. I think the Patriot is awesome in snow and icy roads. I get about 20 mpg with the Cherokee and often get 30 mpg on the highway with the Patriot. The automatics with the CVT get about 26 mpg and the trail rated Patriot gets about 25 mpg. The 2011 Patriots have about 1 inch more ground clearance than mine, and a lift kit provides a maximum of 2" lift. The Patriot is rated for 1000 lb towing ability or 2000 lb max with the trail rated model with oil cooler and transaxle cooler. The engines and CVT transaxles are proving to be quite reliable. If you can live with these specs, I think you will be happy with a Patriot otherwise a Liberty will haul more weight but with gas mileage like a Cherokee.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't found a low mileage Cherokee with a 5 speed manual. I'm about to give up. I've seriously considered a Liberty. The Patriot is real tempting with it's price and fuel economy. I need to know if it will preform as I need it to.

The Patriot has the newer all wheel drive system doesn't it? People keep referring to it as 4x4.

miketmx
How much snow have you driven through without much trouble? Does it perform better or less so than the XJ? I'm thinking of something along the same lines as yours. 2011 4x4 FD1 5speed manual.

Gofaster
I'm not sure why you would waste your time and my time with a post like that. I'm serious and I need facts. If you own a Patriot let me know how it performs.
Unread 02-25-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
LVLF4LO
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like you need a Subaru.
LVLF4LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I have driven through 12" deep snow with no problems at all with our Patriot. One time I had to push the ESP button to Partial/Off when I got high centered in a 2 foot deep drift. When we get a fresh dump of snow, I play games in the back alley climbing a bank first with the Patriot then with the Cherokee and the Patriot wins the contest. The Patriot is not made to be a rock crawler like a Wrangler and with CV joints instead of a solid axle it cannot be lifted as high as a Cherokee but it satisfys my needs as a highway vehicle and driving on stubble fields to set up goose decoys. Last December on a late season deer hunt we took the Cherokee only because my hunting buddy wanted to. I'm positive the Patriot would have easily handled the 10" deep snow on the trails. With the 5 speed manual I can easily pass someone on the highway when I use 4th gear and pulling a small trailer should be no problem with the engine oil cooler. I have personally measured the height of the new 2011 4X4 Patriots and there is no difference in FD1 and FD2 for ground clearance when both have 215/65/17 tires. I would get aftermarket skid plates to protect the under belly.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
gageguy
2011 MK Compass 

Hey, I'm not sure about the Patriot, but my 2011 Compass has a lever between the seats that you lift and it "locks" for full time, 50/50, F/R split, power. I have played around with it twice, looking for a difference between letting the electronics detect slippage and automatically engaging AWD or leaving it locked, and really haven't detected a difference in driving performance.

I read a little about how it works and I know there is a pump involved and I would suspect that the pump isn't constantly engaging and disengaging when in 4WD. I think, but I'm not positive, that this a similar to electronic coupling device that has been used in the past on the AWD Grand Cherokee.

At 1000 miles of mixed driving, I hand calculated 25.8 mpg, with a 2.4L AWD 5-speed manual.

I've had 4 or 5 snow storms since I got it a month ago. Two dumped at least a foot of snow in my driveway and street. Also, I had left the house on the first big storm only to find where I was going closed. I went back home and the snow plow had come by and put at least 18 inches of snow at the entrance to my subdivision, about as high as the top of the rim. In automatic AWD, I was the first on through, without any problem, at maybe 5 mph. I checked the front airdam as I'm positive I pushed snow with it, and it was fine.

I drive 30 miles one way to work and this past Monday I saw at least a half dozen front wheel drive cars stuck in the foot deep snow. I did just fine, I even left the "plowed" lane to pass 3 cars in a row that were doing 25 mph.

I can only compare it to my old vehicles, which have all been 4x4 Rams. My Compass is positively NOT as capable off-road simply due to ground clearance. But, I know I could run most any fire road we have here in MI. The other issue is mud. I have seen a few youtube videos of Patriots/Compass and they do not do well in mud at all. I wolud think a tire change would help, but I would still be afraid of anything too sticky, just not enough clearance. I would also need to add some tow points, as I really don't believe I have any.
gageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This might be worth reading. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/h...-works-512380/

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Subaru. I've heard good and bad.

Sounds like the MK is more than capable in the snow. If clearance is the main problem on the muddy forest roads than that can be remedied to some extent. I understand it has it's limits. I may just have to come more prepared or walk more.

Anyone have experience pulling a boat out on a steep ramp with one? Or pulling a trailer up a slippery hill?

Gramps
Thanks for the read. There seems to be a lot to the awd system. It seems a bit complicated which I am not a fan of. I feel real uneasy about having the computer in control of the vehicle. As long as I can turn the stuff off when I want or when it fails.

What's everyone's thoughts on the electronic controlled AWD? I can't picture it being as long lived and reliable as the proven manual shift 4wd.
Unread 02-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I've never had it NOT do as designed and quite flexible with the manual override/engagement features. Take a look at the sticky "Quick Links" you may find some other interesting stuff in there. If I didn't put some pictures in there of "tow rigs" I'll try and fix that.

Nearly everything is electronically controlled any more, hard to get away from it if you want something new.

I feel safe with my lift kit, skid plates and taller tires. One of these days I'll get around to do some tow hooks on the front but the Compass doesn't lend itself to that too easily. Go, go gadget thinking cap.

Unread 02-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The most I've ever spent on a vehicle is $5000 and the newest I own is the 95 XJ. I can't say I like the idea dropping $20k or more for a new vehicle that I think is a lesser vehicle. I hope I can be proved wrong. I know I can't get away from the electronics with the new vehicles. I think the more I learn the better off I'll be. I'll check out the quick links.
Unread 02-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
Anyone have experience pulling a boat out on a steep ramp with one? Or pulling a trailer up a slippery hill?
Found one link of a boat and one of a Pop-up .

Unread 02-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

That pop-up really makes the Compass look small

I was just reading last night about installing an oil cooler, hitch, and wire harness for towing. If I make the purchase I'll definitely do the install myself and save some money.

Still need to read more about the AWD and look at tire & wheel options.

Does anyone know about the Patriot fleet vehicles? I was doing some research and found they were made, but have not seen any for sale anywhere.
Unread 02-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Most "fleet" specific vehicles may be high mileage. There are other fleet vehicles that are just corporate recycling that could be much lower mileage. My wife's '06 with only about 45K on it was one of those. We had one of the local Jeep dealers keep an eye out and they got it in from a Michigan auction. SWEET DEAL on that one! She told me the other day after the blizzard when she was driving home she kept saying to herself "I love my Jeep, I love my Jeep, I love my Jeep, I love my Jeep." She talks to herself a lot!

Unread 02-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Gramps
Typically fleet vehicles are bare bones and low cost. I assume that's what they mean by "fleet". I'd rather install my own upgrades as needed. I was surprized to see they were available. Do you have any idea if it's possible to order a new one?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.