Check Engine light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Check Engine light

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
normbrockway
2014 MK Patriot 

Check Engine light

The gas cap was loose. The check engine light came on. Do I have to go to the dealer to turn off the light? Should he charge for this service? Do you think?

normbrockway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No tighten the cap and drive a couple days and it should go out on it's own.
Unread 10-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
BJohnson81

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw View Post
No tighten the cap and drive a couple days and it should go out on it's own.
It worked for me too. Sounds crazy but after a day it went off.
BJohnson81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
TimothyPilgrim

My CEL has been wonky since last year. Recently it went on, I gassed up, and it went out later that day. Great. But it's on again (usually happens in cooler temps) and even after checking the cap, it's still on. My ScanGauge II gives me random codes. I clear them, there's suddenly another in there. Clear it. Another. Is it my ScanGauge or a faulty CEL? I don't know. I'm not fond of visiting the dealership for a silly faulty light though. Any suggestions?

Deets: 2008 North Ed., 2.4L, FDII, 105k kms
TimothyPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
JKNanook
2010 JK Wrangler 

First make sure your gas cap is clean and has a good seal. Right down your codes, if the same codes keep appearing they may not be so random.
JKNanook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.