Check Engine Light 2007 Jeep Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Check Engine Light 2007 Jeep Compass

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
jandyrodax
2007 MK Compass 

Check Engine Light 2007 Jeep Compass

Long story short....my dog died and we were trying to bury her. It got dark so we used the headlights on my 2007 Jeep Compass for light knowing we would possibly drain the battery.

Well, needless to say the battery died. All of the other lights came up (so I guess we didn't completely drain it?), but it wouldn't crank. AAA came out and gave us a jump and my car started up right away. But now the check engine light is on. The check engine light was not on prior to this happening and the car was and still is driving fine.

My questions is:

Is it possible that the check engine light just needs a reset? is that possible to do? If so, how do I do it? And, lastly, does some where like Auto Zone (or a place like that) do the diagnostic test if I should need to get it done and/or can they reset it or can I take do it myself (someone who doesn't know very much about cars) to avoid paying someone (funds are really tight right now) or do I have to take it to a mechanic?

jandyrodax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just disconnect your negative battery cable, give a few minutes, maybe even a pump or two of the brakes to make sure your ECU is drained and it should be reset. If that doesn't work, take it to NAPA (or any well known auto parts chain) and tell them you need to pull a code. It'll tell you whats going on and will reset the light for you too. It's free.

If they offer to let you do it yourself (which they may do if they're busy), the OBD (onboard diagnostics) port is below the dash. The computer will plug right into it. Turn your key all the way on without starting it and follow the directions on the diagnostics tool, it's pretty easy
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
jandyrodax
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
Just disconnect your negative battery cable, give a few minutes, maybe even a pump or two of the brakes to make sure your ECU is drained and it should be reset. If that doesn't work, take it to NAPA (or any well known auto parts chain) and tell them you need to pull a code. It'll tell you whats going on and will reset the light for you too. It's free.

If they offer to let you do it yourself (which they may do if they're busy), the OBD (onboard diagnostics) port is below the dash. The computer will plug right into it. Turn your key all the way on without starting it and follow the directions on the diagnostics tool, it's pretty easy
Thanks. I'll try it myself first tomorrow and see how it goes. If all else I'll take it to Napa or somewhere like there here. Thanks again.
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It will most likely turn off by itself after 3 "Good Trips". http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/e...seless-855751/

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
jandyrodax
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
It will most likely turn off by itself after 3 "Good Trips". http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/e...seless-855751/
I tried taking the negative cable off of the battery and waited a few minutes but that didn't work. Not sure if I didn't leave it off long enough or what.

BUT, after a good ride down the road and then putting gas in my car the check engine light has not been on since.

Thanks ya'll.
Unread 04-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandyrodax View Post
I tried taking the negative cable off of the battery and waited a few minutes but that didn't work. Not sure if I didn't leave it off long enough or what.

BUT, after a good ride down the road and then putting gas in my car the check engine light has not been on since.

Thanks ya'll.
glad you got it taken care of, let us know if anything else arises
Unread 06-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #7
cinnepa
2007 MK Patriot 

after 2 days of ownership my 2007 patriots' light just went on as well.......back to the dealer but i may give it a shot at a napa dealer. anyone know if pep boys will do the same free service to find out the code and what it means?

only thing i did different yesterday was fill up the tank......and i turned the heck out of the cap when putting it back on (one of the possible causes)
cinnepa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Unless it flashes this isn't really a big deal. Mine has only come on once for about a 3 day period and then after several 'GOOD TRIPS' went off. I took it the dealer (under warranty back then) and they really couldn't find anything either but wanted to replace the Throttle Control Sensor. By the time the part came in the light went out and has never come on again. I did put on a locking gas cap a little later thinking that the original cap was part of the problem but later used my old cap on the wife's GC when her light came on and it worked fine.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

Yearly, I get the check engine light coming on once the temperature stays down below freezing for several days and it stays that way until the spring thaw. The code that was pulled indicated the fuel system, like leaving the gas cap ajar. I've tried both, the cap that was on the Jeep when I purchased it and a mopar locking gas cap, but it has no bearing on it, it seems to be temperature related as I dont get it any other time of the year. I'm just glad my state inspection is when it's warm outside, or it would never pass with that light on. It just seems to be on of my Jeeps little 'eccentricities'.
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
cinnepa
2007 MK Patriot 

got the "cylinder 1 misfire" message - was advised to change plugs (has 28K miles - so it made sense), good for a day, then same message appeared. tried switching cylinder 1 and cylinder 4, good for a day, same message - was hoping it would say cylinder 4 misfire but no luck. back to the dealer tomorrow.
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
hj33

continuous coil #3 code

cinnepa

did you figure out your problem?

I have a 2010 Pat with 54,000. at 53,000 the check engine light came on. Code was for coil #3. Changed spark plugs. It came on again with code for coil #3. Changed coil #3. Came on again code for coil #3. Switched coils 3 & 4. It has come on again with code for coil #3. Next I am thinking it needs a new fuel injector.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
hj33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Where does coil 3 get its power from? Broken wire prior to the coil?
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
cinnepa
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hj33 View Post
cinnepa

did you figure out your problem?

I have a 2010 Pat with 54,000. at 53,000 the check engine light came on. Code was for coil #3. Changed spark plugs. It came on again with code for coil #3. Changed coil #3. Came on again code for coil #3. Switched coils 3 & 4. It has come on again with code for coil #3. Next I am thinking it needs a new fuel injector.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
sorry but nothing specific stands out that i could remember - i do know they reset it.
Unread 12-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
jeepchik69

Question.....check engine light came one before and gas cap was messed up and replaced and light went off. Last night it dinged and light came back on then when I drove again today it came back on. If the air filter is due to be changed would that make the light come on. Also on mornings that is like in 20-30 something degrees outside it will start fine then turn off then go into the store and try to start and want but it tries to turn over. Then was about 5 or so minutes then it will start and drive great. I've just had my 2007 Compass since March 2013.
Help!!
jeepchik69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cel , compass , mil , patriot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.